• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 sendero old style. 300 winmag

sgtusmc_nc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
north carolina
Im looking for ideas to accurize this rifle. currently it is completely stock. i can shoot 1/2 groups every day and on good days 1/4 with my hand loads. I would like to play with the rifle a bit. any ideas would be awsome.

Semper_Fi

Re: rem 700 sendero old style. 300 winmag

Other than a good stock, I would just leave it alone and shoot the barrel out. Then start to play with it some. Kinda that, If it aint broke, type of thing.

IM not crazy about the stock! what are your opinions?

the trigger has been worked by our PD remington armorer, but I have thought about the Xmark or mabe timney but always open to sugg.

it is a great shooting rifle far better than my abillities, but I have thought about using some devcon to tighten it up, recrown the barrel " just to protect the crown" have the bolt and action blueprinted and lugs lapped.
Im just not sure if its worth the expense

if you go with an aftermarket trigger look at rifle basix, they are out of charlotte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtusmc_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i can shoot 1/2 groups every day and on good days 1/4 with my hand loads.</div></div>
I would not touch it if it shoots this good. There are few factory rigs that shoot this good. A new trigger sure, but don't change the main components- stock, barrel, action, etc.

Do not touch it, Just shoot it.

I am not a guru, but I do use this rifle and happen to like mine a lot.

About the only thing that might need attention is the trigger, What is yours set at?

Get out your torque driver and make sure all the action and scope mounting screws are torqued properly.

Other than that there is really not all that much you can do to make it a better shooter.

Yea you can accessorize it with bipods, monopods, fancy rings lasers muzzle brakes, bloop tubes and such, but we are talking about a +10# long range rifle that already gets 1/4 MOA or better if you keep your end of the deal up, not an M4 in the hands of a mall ninja.

Have you checked the locking lugs for even contact?

Is the action nice and slick?

1/4" @ 100yd. with a .308 diameter bullet sounds pretty good to me.

In all truth you can spend thousands of dollars and dozens of hours without making any improvements.

I admit a bipod might help you in the field, but a good backpack or range bag will do just as well.

A supressor will cost you time, money and paperwork, It will reduce perceived recoil as well as muzzle blast, but a good pair of earplugs work fine and I am not sure about the hunting laws in your area.

Muzzle brakes are cool items, but you have to buy them, do without your rifle while your smith threads and or recrowns your barrel and they redirect the blast and sound back at you. Again if you use one hunting and do not have your ears in, you will deafen yourself in a painful manner.

One of my good friends got a PSS in .308 several years ago and it is a great shooter, On the advise of a knowledgeable friend I got a Sendero in 300WM, it turned out to be the "old school" one you have, CS parkerized barrel, HS precision stock with single swivel stud and rounded off fore end. We both have Leupold rings and SS scopes, mine is a SF-10x and his is a RF-20x My rings are QR on Weaver 2 piece mounts, his are fixed on Louie 2 piece. they are both basically the same as far as barrel, weight, action, scope, mounts and rings. Mine has a 40oz. trigger, he is still resisting adjusting his which is running about 5-1/2#. The only obvious difference between the two is the stock, he has to use a cheek pad to get his stock weld/eye relief, or he gets slapped, I don't.
My rifle goes all day with heavy custom loads punching cloverleafs as does his with moderate loads, but at the end of the day, my shoulder feels fine, he whines and complains. I have shot his and the appearent recoil is indeed greater on his.

I am going to assume yours is a carbon alloy vs. stainless.

If you are not planning to guncoat or epoxy paint it, get some Kano Labs KROIL (if you dont have any yet) and soak the barrel and action down inside and out. Let is setup a day or so wipe the outside down and re-apply until it stops absorbing at which point just wipe off the excess and wipe it down again with a kroily patch once in a while. While soaked, cycle the action a few times every now and then, then clean out with solvent and look at all the krud you did not know was there, repeat as above, but use a drop or two of a lubricating oil on your races when you are done, kroil works fine, but is not really all that slippery. (Kroil will also loosen up and remove surface rust, dirt and helps with copper fouling)

Break the barrel in!!! I know saying that invites a flame war, but keep in mind most folks that can't see much difference are talking about hand-lapped bores, Remington does not do that on the sendero and I noticed a huge difference by the time I was done.

If you want to, you can remove the magazine follower and polish it, but probably wont notice a difference on a remington. (it made a huge difference on my SAKO however, rough as a cob.)

You could get a BAdger M5 trigger guard, but you have to wait for the bore to cool down anyhow, you have loads of time to thumb another round in.

Some folks like to cut and fit a SAKO type extractor on their Remingtons, but it weakens the bolt. I have never had a FTE on a Remington, but I will say the only times I have ever had a case seperation was on a SAKO and it was right at the extractor groove.

You can camo it or paint it a neutral OD or sand for now and finish at your hunting site, this will reduce maintenance on a CS model and look pretty cool as well.

To summarize, Clean the snot out of it, adjust the trigger, break it in and go out and shoot!

There is really not all that much you can do to make it shoot any better without spending loads of money for minimal to no improvement.

If you really want to spend some bank, start saving up for a custom maybee even take one of the courses offered by Mr. Gradius.

http://www.gradousrifles.com/class.php

FYI My loads are:

F215 Primer
Rem. Case
77gr. RE-22
168gr. SMK or 165gr. Spitzer.
OAL to .005" from lands

thanks for all the replies, as stated above the gun far out preforms my abillities. Im currently on the entry team for my swat team but several of our snipers have shot the rifle and all could shoot 1/4 groups with it at 100 yards and under an inch at 300. all from a harris bypod. I use IMR 4831 71gr. 180gr nosler bt's, winchester brass and win LR primers. Im currently testing 200gr accubonds. so we shall see how that goes.

Wth that accuracy, I wouldn't do shit to it except adjust the stock trigger. No need for an aftermarket.

I did drop mine in an A3 Mcmillan and added Badger base and rings but it shot fine without it. Just waiting for the barrel to go but so far so damn good.

Adjust the trigger and shoot the thing (a lot).

Our armorer set the trigger for 2lbs. I love the rifle. it prob. only has 200 rds through it.when that barrel goes Im going to buy a pacnor i think. my buddy just built a 300 rum on a 700 action and a bell and carlson stock i think. it has a 27in heavy barrel with an integrated muzzel brake. ive got vid. of him shooting deer at 900 yards. deer dies right where it is hit. I think he topped it with a large sitron scope. but he hunts in the eastern part of NC where you can make shots as far as your weapon will allow. where I hunt I just use my pre 64 mod 70 win 30-06 ive had it since i was 16. 3x9x40 leopold scope it has never let me down. but where I hunt im only looking at 200 yard shots so its not a big deal.

I had one of those shortly after they came out. I was at a local range shooting it and a guy next to me said it was ready for some 1000yd competition. That rifle put just about anything I conjured up at the reloading bench into .75" and when I loaded what it liked, it was .5 MOA.

Those guns flat out shoot. Replace the trigger and wear out the tube.

its may fav. gun... i just bought a 700 police in 308 to start training with on marksmen guys. someone gave me a baush and lomb scope 4.5x15 the paperwork says it came back from them a cpl of months ago where they tore it down and inspected and rebuilt it. I hear they are now the busnell elite series but not sure. I'll use it till i get a better scope.

That 4831 load was what I used, IIRC. I am getting a .300 jones as I type.

I have the same rifle. Sometimes you get lucky out of the box. Dont mess with its feng shui. Maybe add an AI stock to get the DBM and a little accurracy, but thats it.

Like the others have said, it sounds just about perfect already. The only thing I would do is Krylon the stock tan so it wouldn't get too hot and burn my face after sitting in the AZ sun.

I had a 700P in .308 that shot like that. I started changing stuff and f'd it up until I spent about $2K on it getting it back to where it shoots.

Just leave it alone including the stock until the barrel is gone - which shouldn't take long on a 300WM.

Sounds like a great shooting gun. I've got several 308wins, but haven't graduated to the 300 win mag yet. My biggest suggest to you isn't what to do for adding to it. You can buy a custom trigger or rattle can it, but my suggestion is work on your dope. Find your load taht works best and borrow a chornograph so check consistency of your velocity. Once you have that baseline plug in your BC (ballistic coeffecient) into one of the numerous softwares to calculate your drop at a given yard. Then take out your gun and test them. Refine your own scope dope and become proficient at it. Learn how to range a target and test it out. Get yourself a decent range finder ($200 will do you just fine) so you can see how close you are. Build up your skills so that you can take out your gun, and aim at a target, range it, dope it and shoot it. Start from 100yards and work out further. Your gun already performs, now find out where she can go out to.