• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS .308

Re: Rem 700 SPS .308

IMHO, it really cant be beat for the money. Assuming it is in fact the 20" gun. I have no experience with the 26" sps. You will find that the first thing to go will be the stock. Then again you may love it. Not many do. Overall its a great platform to start on..

Colt

Im thinkin of getting one as wel. 26 sps varmint. It sounds like its good to go then.

Yep well if the 20" is good ill assume the 26" is good also...And I dont even have the rifle yet and im making plans to change the stock gonna put a nice tactical platform on it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Militant83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep well if the 20" is good ill assume the 26" is good also...And I dont even have the rifle yet and im making plans to change the stock gonna put a nice tactical platform on it.. </div></div>
I know how that goes.
smile.gif

Just bought one a couple of weeks ago.. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it.. But went ahead and ordered a Mcmillan A5 stock with adj. cheek rest.. Can't wait, it gets here tomorrow..

Should shoot prety well. A few things can be done to tune them up a little but I would run it fist and see what potential she has. Congrats and enjoy the new rifle.

JamieD

I bought an SPS-V last christmas and have put ~400 rounds through it. Initially, I wasnt really impressed with the rifle. The balance was off with the 26" barrel and i didnt like the cheap plastic stock. I am also not a fan of the ADL system.

SInce then the rifle has received an HTG, Badger M5, barrel chop to 20", and an action trueing. It now shoots .5 MOA consistently with handloads when i do my part. The biggest improvement is handling in the field. Next move will be ditching the xmark pro trigger.

IMO the SPS is a good starting platform and With the right improvements it can be made in to one awesome rifle!!

I have an SPS-V 308 that I bought used here on the hide. The ad said that it had less than 200 rds down range, but upon further investigation I discovered some of the guy's posts from where he was considering buying it and he said that it had about 500 down the tube. Needless to say I was PISSED, especially at myself for not doing the research on the guy before I sent him my money. I found the posts after I sent the money and before I got the rifle, so I was nervous as hell till I got it in my possesion. I cleaned the hell out of it and used my buddy's borescope on it and the barrel looked to be in pretty good shape. The first 5 shot group I shot out of it at 100yds the next day measured .102 CTC with FGMM 168 SMK's. I was delightfully shocked! fI have since been working up some loads and this gun is consistently a 1 holer at 100 (less than .6 MOA on average). At 300yds, it consistently shoots less than .5 MOA. I guess what Im getting at is that those things will shoot, or at least mine will. It does have a B&C Medalist Varminter stock, but other than that it is bone stock. Good luck with yours, I dont think you can go wrong for the money.

Just bought a rem 700 sps in 7mm-08 varmint. 1 5/8" groups at 330 yds, and that was in a 40mph crosswind. 3" groups at 500, however we just discovered the action needs bedding and the barrel needs floated, that should tighten it up more. Really happy with this rifle, may need a new trigger also, as the stock is about 3/4 lb too heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatman007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought a rem 700 sps in 7mm-08 varmint. 1 5/8" groups at 330 yds, and that was in a 40mph crosswind. 3" groups at 500, however we just discovered the action needs bedding and the barrel needs floated, that should tighten it up more. Really happy with this rifle, may need a new trigger also, as the stock is about 3/4 lb too heavy. </div></div>

Holy crap.......40 mph crosswind.almost 1/2 moa at 330yds.That sounds to good to beleive.....imo dont do anything to it.........

I have had a SPS-V for a year now and shoots well under MOA @100 and 200. I use the Hornady sst 150g for hunting and they are very accurate. When I shoot my hand loads with the 168 amax it gets even better. You will like it alot.

I have a SPS Tactical and dropped it into an AICS. Consistently inside an inch. Love it. Great starting stick.
CC