• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS-AAC 308 Stock Choices

Why1504

Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
Southeast US
For a few weeks now I have been looking at stocks for my Rem 700. Manners, Mcmillian, ACIS....

All of the ones I have been looking at are over $800 and below$1200. I would like to keep the gun where I can use it to hunt with. I have mixed emotions about the ACIS. I don't have one I can try so I will be buying blind. Any suggestions here would be welcome.

I have fell in love with the Mcree chassis. It in extremely comfortable to shoot..... But it may not be ideal for hunting as it is quite heavy.
ga7arymy.jpg

Out of all the stocks I've owned I think HS Precision was the lightest for me. But for the Money $200ish and Quality you can't beat the Bell & Carlson Stocks. I've owned several of the B&C Stocks in the past both the quality and customer service were Top Notch. Currently my AAC-SD 16.5 Inch .308 sits in a moded B&C Medalist Stock. If you'll be doing a lot of Hunting then I suggest the M40 Style Stocks instead.

Here's a picture of mine.

Remington 700 AAC-SD
16.5 Inch .308 Win
1 in 10 Twist
Surefire MB762 Brake
Bell & Carlson Tactial Medalist Stock (Home Brew Paint Job) Bedded
Badger Bottom Metal (5 round AICS Magazine)
Weaver 20 MOA Base
Millet 30mm Rings
Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm Mil/Mil FFP Scope

Hope this helps.

sym7ag.jpg

Go to mcree's website they have some different options, but the most expensive is less than 700.

I've finally tracked one of the 16.5" .308s down in the great white North and am looking at one of the MDT chassis systems to complete my baby. Two other fellows I know have these setups:

1003567_10152117499949623_298473181_n.jpg

photo-174.jpg

I have an AICS 1.5 on mine. Mine is bottom rifle.

Attachments

• photo%20(6)[1].jpg
    photo%20(6)[1].jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 62
I have an AICS 2.0 on my 700 SPS that I am thinking about replacing after this hunting season, because of the weight.

Dude, look into a McMillan. I have a tactical stock that is adjustable. It shoots great from the prone and bench. But holy shit its heavy. I think a lot of these rifles i see on here are nothing but paper punchers. Hunting is a different story. I'm sure someone will call me a wimp and this and that. I pump more iron than anyone should. And carrying that thing is tiring. I went to the NRA show and check out these so called "innovative" chassis. Oh my god they were heavy. I realized the error of my ways when i pick up a .308 in a McMillan stock. It was top notch. I will never go back to those "tactical" stocks.

Dude, look into a McMillan. I have a tactical stock that is adjustable. It shoots great from the prone and bench. But holy shit its heavy. I think a lot of these rifles i see on here are nothing but paper punchers. Hunting is a different story. I'm sure someone will call me a wimp and this and that. I pump more iron than anyone should. And carrying that thing is tiring. I went to the NRA show and check out these so called "innovative" chassis. Oh my god they were heavy. I realized the error of my ways when i pick up a .308 in a McMillan stock. It was top notch. I will never go back to those "tactical" stocks.

Yea, I think I have focused on the Manners as my ultimate choice due solely to the weight issue. It is the lightest one out there.

Other than a replaceable magazine, are there other advantages to go with a mini chassis over the Remington metal plate?

I just bought an HS Precision stock over in the for sale area. It is a take off from a Rem 700 Police. Seemed like a no brainer at $275.

I have an AICS on my Rem 700. It is a rock solid platform, but it is heavy. If you want to use the rifle while hunting you may choose a lighter stock like the HS Precision, which is still a great stock. I upgraded from the HS Precision because I wanted a detachable mag system. Or you could go with the heavier chassis, and just get a quality sling.

I decided to go the cheap route for now. I can dedicate this gun as a hunting gun and go back for a better target option with the high end stock later or if I really get into it, I can sell this one, get my money out of it and go full up custom. Today, the gun can out shoot my abilities, it may be that way the rest of my life. At this point all of my options are still open.

I just bought an HS Precision stock over in the for sale area. It is a take off from a Rem 700 Police. Seemed like a no brainer at $275.

I purchased a Remington 5R stock from the For Sale section just this past friday for $245... like you said, no brainer. Mine is for the standard SPS Tactical, not the AAC.

Dragon,
Did you bed yours?

No, the USPS has not delivered the stock yet... tracking# shows Friday delivery. If the stock is seriously in need of bedding, or the rifle groupings are off, I would probably sell the stock off... unless it looks really great.