• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 sps opinions ?

416barrett

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia ,seminole ounty
so whats the general review of the sps 700 ? i plan to go up town in 4 hrs or so and see if i can order a 300 rum sps. Ive wanted one for awhile and ive handle alot of the sps's . i was also thinking about a win m70 ultimate shadow 338 win mag . but i think i like the looks of the rem 700 plus i think its barrel might be a little fatter . this will be a well most likely sub 100 yard hog gun. i dont want a 45/70 either i figure so many people already have one .I wanted a 375 abolt but to me the bolt on the abolt looks cheap and its kinda overpriced.

also there more parts for the 700rem so i can always make it my own .

oh i wanted ask . and this confuses me . arent LA action calibers case length 30-06, or rem/win mags have a case length over 2.5 or 2.6" ? and the h&h 375 , 8mm rem mag 416, and 7 mm stw are uncut mags with true case length 2.850" ? and the 300 rum has a 2.8" case so how does it fit in regular long action i though the true magnums needed a larger action . but are most long action nowadays just long enough for real magnums with 2.8 case ? . my brother m70 ranger 30-06 will not fit a 375 in it .

i love of the 300 rum makes that 30 cal bullet look small. must be a big case i never seen one in person .

Re: rem 700 sps opinions ?

I think you are going WAY overkill if this is purely a sub 100 yard hog gun. A 300 RUM for sub 100 and hogs? Well, to each his own.
Maybe Im not quite undersanding your question, but the .300 RUM,along with the 7 STW, 8MM, 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag are all on the Long Action with bolt face of .540.

What would I get for sub 100 and hogs? AR, .243 or .260, or maybe even the 6.5 Grendel...if stuck on BA, then probaly .308. My .02....

Oh, I have teh SPS, in .308, and I love it. For what it is meant to do, it does it extremely well. Couldnt be happier..

I agree with the poster above. If this will be a hunting gun and for sub 100 yards.. Get something lightweight that will shoot a good hunting round like .270 or 30/06. You don't need a heavy barrel for a single shoot hunting rifle.. it will just add extra weight you don't need.

Now if this is going to be a range/target/fun gun used for the occasional hunt.. then get the .308 bolt or 30/06. If you reload, you can do some great things with the 30/06 for both range and hunting.

But based on your needs above.. I say go lightweight hunting caliber in whatever flavor of rifle you like.

Reactions: TurdFerguson

308 would sound right, other points are maybe more important.
Choose a stock that has little muzzle flip, cut barrel down to 20" or so to make the rifle quicker handling and add a good mag system if she doesn't cycle reliably...as some remmy's don't. Mostly better to have a reliable quick handling accurate rifle that one is proficient with.
edi

over kill, use the smallest caliber you can to do the job saftley and effectively, i used my 300 for years on multiple 100 yard shots and finally retired it to 500 yard+ everything else i use my 308 for or even some of the smaller ones like .260(personal favorite) and 6.5creedmore

Hm. Wow. I’m really curious to know what he went with... 9 years ago....

I’d still go with the Grendel AR though...The classics are timeless. 😉

Reactions: eugevita
my 308 SPS will shoot sub moa groups all day with FGMM or black hills, just sayin!