• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD...A Work In Progress

SBD47

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
Ohio
<span style="font-weight: bold">I decided to start a Remington 700 .308 build, and wanted to start a thread to detail the progress of the build. I started out with a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 AAC-SD model. As most, if not all of you know, this model comes from the factory with a 20" Threaded, 1:10 Twist, Varmint Contour Barrel, and a Hogue stock. I opted for the AAC-SD model, over the regular SPS Tactical, for the threaded barrel. It was only $50 extra, and will make things easier when it comes time to add a suppressor.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock Rem 700 AAC-SD With Hogue Stock</span>
6b19550b.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Current State Of The Build</span>
f956294a.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Remington 700 AAC-SD
Seekins 20MOA One-Piece Rail
Seekins 30mm Low Rings
HS Precision PST012 Stock
SWFA 10x42mm HD Scope
Phoenix Custom Rifles Bolt Knob Install(Included Bolt Knob, Shroud Mod, Bolt Reinforcement, & Cerakote)</span>

Re: Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD...A Work In Progress

Thats a great platform to start with.....Congrats

Awesome rifle ! just got one myself and getting started....

i recently got the same base rifle to start a build with. looking forward to seeing the progress. will eventually put it in a 700P stock as well to match the next 700P in .300WM that will accompany it after graduation.

mine will be very slow as im in my Jr year of college and not currently working. i currently have a $6 walmart 2 piece base, 2 aimpoint low mount rings (freebies from a buddy) and pulled the millett DMS off of my AR to get me through deer season. i did shoot a 13/16" group at 200 with this setup and winchester 150gr SP bullets, average is easily less than 1moa.

I'd put Massoud's Bolt Lift on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd put Massoud's Bolt Lift on there. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't really care for the aesthetics of the Bolt Lift. Instead, I'll end up going with a Badger or Phoenix Customs knob. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Seekins 20MOA Base came in today and I am very impressed! It is top-notch quality, and I like the fact that it has a recoil lug built-in as well. No bedding was required. I did the one-screw test on it, and it was perfectly flat on the receiver.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Seekins Remington 700 SA 20MOA Base:</span>
b8b7de42.jpg

df7a95dc.jpg

7807ac3a.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Installed:</span>
66fac41f.jpg

d55f477e.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you find the gun for 549? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">My local shop(Vance's/Buckeye Outdoors) has them on sale for $549 right now!
Buckeye Outdoors </span>

I bought the SPS Tactical before I even knew that this rifle was available. I plan on threading the barrel on mine to attach a can later on, but that will be a bit down the road.
I love the rifle and have been out shooting some pretty tight groups with it. Works great with the Bell & Carlson stock I put on it. It's a beautiful piece of equipment right now, but it will get better over time too!!

Thats a good price, I got mine back in the spring and the only place I could find it was a seller off gunsamerica after shipping, CC fee and transfer fee I was into about $685

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SBD47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you find the gun for 549? </div></div>

My local shop(Vance's/Buckeye Outdoors) has them on sale for $549 right now!
Buckeye Outdoors

</div></div>

its showing as $589, but that is still a damn good price. Cheapest i have seen.

<span style="font-weight: bold">There is a $40 Mail-In-Rebate from Remington right now, which brings the price down to $549. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SBD47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a $40 Mail-In-Rebate from Remington right now, which brings the price down to $549. </div></div>

This is so tempting. I don't know if I should buy this or rebarrel my savage 22250 to 260

Nice rifle man, I love mine. Here is the link to the thread on mine Link . I followed a ton of advise I got here on the hide. Read a lot and ask about what you don't understand. Use the search button first ask the question second, is the best advise I could give. Mine is holding a consistant dime sized group as long as I do my part. I've gotten so bored with shooting the groups that I shoot one each range trip then switch to the dot drill. I have changed out the stock for a 700p take off and that helped a lot to stiffin up the entire package. I also have the seekins 20 MOA base. I'm picking her up from the gunsmith today, I've had the trigger stoned down to 1 1/2 lbs. I can't wait to shoot it now. I'll report on the change after I get to the range again.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SBD47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which rebate is it? This is all I could find for Remington rebates:

http://www.remingtonrebates.com/promocenter/remington/rebate_form.html
</div></div>

Remington Fall Rebate </div></div>

Hell yeah. Nice man.

Congrats. It should turn out nice.

Nice. Been debating about going with the blackout version myself because, well, it is black.

Nice report. Look forward to following the progress.

Good Report, I'm thinking about one of these myself. Wish they would offer one in .260

just bought burris xtr rings, tps steel base and wotac 4-14x50 for mine. cant wait to shoot it, the anticipation is killing me.

I love mine. Haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet. Working on getting some glass for it. Thinking a Nikon Monarch 4x16x42. I ordered a Weaver 20MOA base and it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait too much longer. Thinking I might just throw the cheap Bushnell I have on my AR on it. Just so I can feel her out. Wanted to set her up the right way and shoot it with some good glass for the first time, but still saving and my trigger finger has been really itchy since I got this bad boy.

Very nice! I picked up a 700 AAC-SD a few weeks ago and I am also building it up (albeit slowly). It's at the same point as your rifle right now - with just a Seekins 20 MOA base sitting on it.

My rifle started life as a stock AAC-SD. I also used seekins base and rings in my build. To say you won't be disappointed would be an understatement. You'll be stoked with the setup.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I just bought a SWFA 3-9x42mm scope! I am having trouble deciding between a fixed power 10X scope and a variable power scope. I came across a good buy on the SWFA 3-9x42mm, so I grabbed it. I think it may be better suited to my shooting than the fixed 10X. If I come across the right deal, I may still purchase the SWFA 10x42mm HD to compare the two, and sell whichever one I like the least.</span>

I just took mine out yesterday with a B&C A2 stock. Got a .55" 5 shot group at 100 yards using FGMM 168 grn and a few sub 3/4 MOA groups.

I even got a few MOA groups from AE150grn which would shotgun pattern out of my Noveske AR10.

I can say now that I'm a believer in the bolt actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. Been debating about going with the blackout version myself because, well, it is black.

Nice report. Look forward to following the progress. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I had been thinking the same thing, but decided it wasn't worth the extra money to me because I knew I would be ditching the Hogue stock anyway. That and the fact that I would rather have a muzzle break on this gun than a flash hider. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">HS Precision PST012</span>
0b93dc3e.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Aluminum Bedding Block</span>
108ff14d.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock Installed</span>
d5df590e.jpg

8d2fec8f.jpg

791475b0.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The HS Precision PST012 Stock came in today. Installation was as easy as it gets. Took about 5 minutes. The stock feels very strong and durable, while remaining lightweight. I noticed the larger palm swell and wider forend right away. The finish appears to be more of a charcoal than black. I will probably end up painting it black or tan. Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade.</span>

Since we're talking about Rem 700 AAC-SD builds, here's the progress of mine so far:

Rem700AACSDs.jpg

So far it has:

Seekins 20 MOA base
Burris XTR rings (leftover from a previous project)
Timney straight trigger (517)
Badger bolt knob put on by Mark Gordon of SAC in Wellington, OH

It was nice to have someone local to go to for the bolt knob work.

Next up for me will be optics and then a stock upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we're talking about Rem 700 AAC-SD builds, here's the progress of mine so far:

Rem700AACSDs.jpg

So far it has:

Seekins 20 MOA base
Burris XTR rings (leftover from a previous project)
Timney straight trigger (517)
Badger bolt knob put on by Mark Gordon of SAC in Wellington, OH

It was nice to have someone local to go to for the bolt knob work.

Next up for me will be optics and then a stock upgrade. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Looking good! What do you have in mind as far as Optics go?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SBD47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Looking good! What do you have in mind as far as Optics go?</span> </div></div>

Not sure yet. I do have a second SWFA SS 5-20 coming. It was originally going to go on my AR-10 NM but it may get pirated for this build.

SBD47, nice looking set up man

Here's my stick
IMAG0129.jpg

Nothing special here, but gets the job done and does it well.
Bushnell ellite 3-12
have since added a bolt knob and a stock pack since the pic.

Thats my buddies 5r in the back ground.

Looks like nice progress so far.

I have to add something.... I admit I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this was mentioned.

I dont know if spending $350 plus install on a bottom metal is the best idea for a $1500 budget build.
It is great if you shoot competitively, but its not a must. You can do damn well without one and it's 1/4th the total cost of your allowed budget.
If you have $1500 to spend, dont spend 1/4th of it on a bottom metal.

Just my opinion.

SBD47, PM inbound about a knob install. I can help you out.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Keith, to clarify the Badger M5 DBM was not planned to be part of my $1500 initial investment, more of a future upgrade. I'll be in touch for the bolt knob install, and maybe a Cerakote job. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Well, I got a KILLER buy on a SWFA 10x42mm HD scope package, so I have that enroute now as well. When it comes in, I'll compare it to the SWFA 3-9x42mm that I have coming, and sell whichever is least suited for me. I have a feeling I'll want to keep the 10x42mm HD because of the HD glass. We'll see. </span>

I really like this rifle. nice build. a lot will disagree with me, but one of the reasons i chose the PSS is the stock. i honestly like it, and wouldnt think of parting with it. that 20" 1/10 twist already threaded barrel is very sweet, too. very nice rifle.

paulus

1922c0a4.jpg

7b65d283.jpg

5358c12e.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
The SWFA SS 3-9x42mm came in and its awesome. Very high quality for the money. I've spent a good bit of time behind the Leupold Mk4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm and I'd say that this scope is every bit as good. With that said, I've posted it for sale on some other sites, for anyone interested(Can't sell here yet, not enough posts). I have decided to use the SWFA 10x42mm HD on this build instead. I'll be posting pics of it shortly.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The SWFA SS 10x42mm HD scope came in and it is Awesome! I was able to get it for $500 on GunBroker with Butler Creek Caps, Sun Shade, ARD, & SWFA 30mm Rings! I won't be using the rings on this build though. I'll get pics posted up just as soon as my Seekins Rings get here.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quick iPhone pic with the SWFA rings & SWFA SS 10x42mm HD scope. I'll post better pics when the Seekins rings come in, and I have some daylight.</span>

DSC02429-1.jpg

I just picked up an AAC-SD myself, yesterday.
Ordered a SS 20x42 today, and am currently searching for a good deal on QUALITY base and rings. My plan is to simply change the GAWD AWFUL 'Ghillie Green'(?)-if there's any green in there, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out, as all I can see is gray- to desert cam, add a suppressor, and shoot it until/unless I decide I don't like the stock, or it's hindering the performance I need out of the system, at which time I'll prolly go w/an A5. Otherwise that'll be it for me. My plan is to use it as needed, and call it a day.
Last year I picked up a 'stock' SPS and was able to get .5" MOA(avg.) out of the thing, with the front end resting on a sand bag no less. That kinda performance will work for me, so if it gets better if you replace the stock to one that doesn't push up against the barrel, great..! I won't need it. I haven't used a bipod on one yet, so if that turns out not to work well at all, then I'll replace the stock.
I say all this, having NEVER followed that plan before. :-(