• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD

alpha0815

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
So I've had this rifle for about 6 months now and overall I'm really pleased with it. It's my first tactical (semi-precision) bolt gun. I really enjoy shooting it and have improved my accuracy and overall knowledge by practicing with it. (only about 100 rounds through it so far). If I didn't have an AR/M4 addiction, I could budget in enough to get a McMillian or GAP. But I think I'm going to stick it out with the Rem 700 for a while. Right now I can shoot .5 MOA out to 250yrds.

So what would you do to improve this rifle? Is it worth it? I know the stock is crap so I've got a B&C lined up and I'm going to get a Badger Ordnance bolt knob. But what else can I do to improve the precision of this rifle? Is it even worth messing with? Although I've done some reading here and other forums/blogs, I'm still a noob when it comes to bolt guns. Is it an option to send it off to a reputable gunsmith/builder for a new barrel and action? Timney or Jewell trigger maybe?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Whats your current setup like now? And what are you shooting out of it for what caliber? First thing i woud do for the rifle itself personally, is change out the stock and trigger. Mine shot great as is too but the overall feel of the rifle will change for the better without the hogue and the xmark. A comfortable shooter will make a better shooter . As long as your optic, base, and rings are decent thats what i would do first.

Last edited:
If you are truly getting 1/2 moa from it, don't screw with it.
I had a 1/2 moa factory gun (5R mil-spec), I had the barrel set back and rechambered and the action trued.
The only thing that accomplished was to make the gun more consistent as it heated up (which was the intent).
It did not improve the ability to shoot small groups, it just helped to shoot those small groups to the same poi.

Yes, I have gotten 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200 yards on a rest. Who would you recommend to have the action trued?

Also, I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and Leupold STD bases and rings. I know the rings are not great..

I would suggest a good stock and trigger upgrade. My first upgrades on my SPS Tac were an HS Precision take off and a Timney 510. But it sounds like the rifle is shooting great as is, some will say don't fix it if it ain't broken, but I have an addiction to constantly tinker with things.

Had mine about two years or so still cant get it to shoot right. I've put a timney trigger in it, B&C stock, Badger Knob, Muzzle Brake, Harris bipod, Triad Stock Pack, Seekins base and rail, Bushnell 3200 and lots of handloaded ammo. No matter what I do to this gun the best it will shoot is about MOA to 1.5. Looks like I got the lemon and you got the peach. Kinda sucks pouring all this money into this gun for really no reason. Guess the next step is a new barrel, wish I had gone with the 5R to begin with.

Last edited:
IMHO your best ROI will be with a new stock and trigger. Bolt knob is just a nicety, put that 75.00 towards a trigger. Timney has treated me fine, and for 120.00 or so it's a cheap upgrade.

My AAC SD is my first bolt gun and I too am very pleased with it. As others have said, stock and trigger would be the most immediate upgrades. I got a McMillan stock and Timney trigger. I also replaced the factory bolt with a PTG bolt due to a crack on the bolt face as the extractor. Prior to that I had installed a Badger Ordnance bolt knob which I considered more than a nicety. As a left handed shooter on a right handed gun, the bolt knob made cycling the bolt so much easier.

I look at my rifle now and compare it to what it looked like when I first bought it. The novelty of the over molded stock is long past and in my opinion it really is an ugly stock as well as a poor performing one. I also found the internal magazine would feed much better once installed in my new stock.

Yeah, I've heard of some with really accurate SPS Tactical's and others say they don't shoot worth a crap. I think thats the biggest problems with off-the-shelf rifles....is the inconsistency.

So how about this PTG bolt. Any smoother or benefits over the stock one?

I would love a McM stock, but don't want to spend that much on this rifle. Going with the B&C Tactical Medalist (2092) with the Wyatt's M4 DetMag (5 rd) and a Timney trigger. We'll see where that takes me. Thanks for the advice guys!

Lemme get this straight.
You have an AAC-SD with the original Tupperware stock that shoots 1/2 MOA to 250 yards?
My advice would be to go buy a lottery ticket, 'cause that's a one in a million rifle.
When you win the lottery, you'll be able to buy any rifle you want, but leave that AAC-SD as it is.

Joe

Meant 200 yards, not 250....sorry. I've never measured the groups with my caliper beyond 200 yards. And 1/2 MOA groups were only 3-shots off the Caldwell Lead-Sled using Federal Gold Match 168gr SMK. Off the bi-pod, I have shot 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. But overall, I'm really happy with the accuracy of this rifle for the money. There are a few others that have been able to achieve this with their SPS Tactical but I do understand that it's hit or miss and they are not consistant.

So I'm going to consider myself 'lucky' and replace the stock, trigger, and eventually do the bolt knob and put some better scope rings on.

Bell and Carlson stock
Timney Trigger

and start reloading if you don't already

+1 on this ^^^^. An HS Precision take off would be a nice addition. If you're patient you can find a good deal in the For Sale section. To keep costs down get PTG bottom metal. I love custom bolt knobs for both the look and the feel. With a good shooter like that I would not mess with the barrel or action.

Sounds like you got a good one on your hands, so it'll only get better. The stock and trigger will definitely see most improvement. After that, I would look into load development, maybe getting the stock bedded, and add on whatever accesories you would like (DBM system, muzzle devices, bolt knobs, etc.) That's about the most one can do short of getting the action trued and re-barreled.

The only thing stock is the barreled action...they are good factory guns to play with.

thrust.jpg

it sounds like you got a good one! drop it into a nice stock, maybe a trigger. start reloading if you do not already.

best improvement to make with or without the above- put a bunch of rounds downrange. shoot it, a lot.

I would listen to the others on stock and trigger replacement, however I would urge you to take a step above the Bell and Carlson stocks. At a minimum I would look at a stock with DBM. Ultimately the $250 you invest in the B&C will turn into $550 by the time you add quality bottom metal. Skip the bullshit in the middle, and go straight to a chassis or Manners Mini-Chassis stock.

Chip

^^^^ Listen to The Count. I'd go mini-chassis if I had it to do over again for my AAC-SD. I like the McMillan A-5...but it's not the same as my Manners T4A Mini-Chassis.

Meant 200 yards, not 250....sorry. I've never measured the groups with my caliper beyond 200 yards. And 1/2 MOA groups were only 3-shots off the Caldwell Lead-Sled using Federal Gold Match 168gr SMK. Off the bi-pod, I have shot 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. But overall, I'm really happy with the accuracy of this rifle for the money. There are a few others that have been able to achieve this with their SPS Tactical but I do understand that it's hit or miss and they are not consistant.

So I'm going to consider myself 'lucky' and replace the stock, trigger, and eventually do the bolt knob and put some better scope rings on.

Before I replaced the stock on mine it was terrible.
Regardless of what I used for a rest or how far back I rested on the forearm, the flimsy stock pressed on the barrel enough to make it a 2 MOA rifle.
Replacing the stock (and free floating the barrel) turned it into a sub MOA rifle when the shooter does his part.
I've heard of people shimming the action up with slivers of beer can but I don't think that would have done squat for me.

Joe

^^^^ Listen to The Count. I'd go mini-chassis if I had it to do over again for my AAC-SD. I like the McMillan A-5...but it's not the same as my Manners T4A Mini-Chassis.

Same here. Love the feel of the A-5 but there is also things I don't like about it. Like the marble colors on yours though. Looks similar! Minus the krylon

Last edited:
Same here. Love the feel of the A-5 but there is also things I don't like about it. Like the marble colors on yours though. Looks similar! Minus the krylon

The marble on mine turned out really nice...photo doesn't do it justice. However, I don't like the glossy finish of it. The matte finish and feel of the manners molded camo is much nicer.
I do like your krylon job though...you did a good job matching the carpet. ;)

Take the Hogue tupperware and factory trigger off and throw them in the deepest darkest pit you can find. I've got the same rifle with only a B&C medalist stock and Timney trigger and i can get .6" 5 and 10 shot groups. I can eek out and occasional sub 1/2 3 shot group, but 5 and 10 are the tale of the tape. 168 smk's over varget is the ticket for mine.

Bell and Carlson stock
Timney Trigger

and start reloading if you don't already

this. for 400 total you can make a huge difference in the rifle. and since its the aac-sd version you may consider putting a brake on it if oyu dont have one. i put one of the rat werks fat bastards on mine and it took the recoil to a 223 level.