• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700 sps Tactical or Rem 700 Police LTR

jgfore

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Hey All, First time to Post,

I had a Rem 700 Police LTR and like an idiot, I sold it. I have regretted it every day since. So I decided to get another one. While I was looking and doing some research I found the 700 SPS Tactical in 1:10 twist. I reaally like this rifle, but the hogue stock seems less than adequate for this gun. So my question is, what is everyones thought on which is the best option?

1. Get the Police LTR for $1000.00
OR
2. Get the SPS Tactical and put it in a McMillan A5 stock (rifle and new stock $950.00-$1000.00)

I would normally just get the LTR, but I really like the twist ratio of the SPS.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Rem 700 sps Tactical or Rem 700 Police LTR

Get the tactical, then get the exact stock you want. Your really cannot go wrong with a tactical for the money.

Mine had feeding issues with was annoying, but I am very pleased with the rifle.

SPS Definitely change the stock. Anything else you want to change on the SPS you'd want to change on the P too.

Doesn't that police model have that fat grip HS precision stock too? I prefer my McMillan A5 it's friggin stout you can get flush cups for push button sling keepers, adjustable cheek riser, anshutz or freeland rail, bipod studs you can order it however you want it. The police stock kinda sucks I have one of them too, although its does have the aluminum bedding block it's a decent stock to stat with. Keep in mind the A5 has a rounded Bottom where the A4 That the USMC is using has a squarer fore end. Also you'll loose a little velocity with the short 20" barrels.

Good luck!

I've had both, several for that matter (.223 & .308).

My choice was the LTR but for the two reasons below. It comes with a good stock right from the get go and I prefer the finish on the LTR/Police series over that of the SPS-T rifles.

The SPS-T is a fair choice for the money but upgrading the stock to match or better the LTR puts you right at or over the price point of the LTR to begin with depending on what stock you buy (new/used or what ever).

I've got an ltr, great rifle it shoots better than i do..lol.I ran the HS stock for a while (lot better than the sps) until i changed to AI..But if i had to do it over i'd probably go 5r 20 threaded...