• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 sps wont stay cocked??????

Re: Rem 700 sps wont stay cocked??????

make sure when you play with it, that you go through all the checks afterwards...and thoroughly. Bang it around, play with the safety, open the bolt and slam it shut..do that a lot.

If you can't get it to where you want it take it to a gunsmith and have him put in another spring...not sure what it does but it worked wonders for my factory triggers.

definitely your sear engagement, bet you turned that instead of tension screw, been there a time or two.

It is an engagement issue, or the trigger return spring tension is to light, or a combination of both.

Does the cocking piece follow the bolt handle down to the fired position, or is there initial sear support (Loaded tension on main spring) and when the trigger fails, releases the striker with an audible click upon rotation of the bolt. The first one is termed a "Soft Follows Down" and the latter is a "Hard Follow Down".

Aug ><>

this is how you learn,take your time and pay attention to what reaction the trigger has as you turn screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is how you learn,take your time and pay attention to what reaction the trigger has as you turn screws. </div></div>
+1....ask me how i know after 2 ADs
laugh.gif

are you cycling the bolt up then back? your not just lifting the bolt up and droping back down?

I assume you have adjusted the trigger and are now doing your safty checks?

+1 on the trigger adjustment being off.

I did the same thing with a howa, dropped in a timney, problem solved.