• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 ss 5r

Bob munden

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
Anyone know how many of these rifles are actualy made. i just bought my 2nd which is the 10th aniversary, i really want to know a true number of how many were made this year and the prevous years. Thanks

Re: rem 700 ss 5r

I have absolutely no hard data to back this up...but I seem to recall reading that they made ~ 200-300 per year.

Personally, I think this is bunk, as my range stocks them as a regular item. They really aren't 'special' at all.

Sorry I can't do better than that.

you may want to contact the owner of snipercountrypx.com

That is where i bought mine 5r. He seemed to know about how they were made, not contract overruns of barrels that didn't meet spec, the 5r barrel is made specifically for the 5r rifle using the same tooling remington makes the m24 barrels with.

You could call AcuSport, the 700 R5 series are made for them by Remington. I think its one of the better out of the box rifles produced by Remington. I don't think its terribly collectable though,if that is what you are asking. There are atleast two "Anniversary Models" on gunbroker right now. The "Anniversary" is as much a marketing ploy by AcuSport as the "Milspec" title, as there is nothing "Milspec" about the rifle itself, except the rifling in the barrel. It should be a very good shooter though. Here is a article I googled you may like. Acusport 10th Anniversary Model

Several years ago they were kinda difficult to come by. Now, it seems like they are everywhere. I believe they were originally made as a special order run for Accusport.

i didnt buy a 2nd rifle for collecting, i bought it to shoot, i really want to know why more are not made, i have so many people asking me about it after they see it shoot, i only have a local 100 and 200 yard range but at 100 it will shoot one hole groups with handloads, and right around 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 200, i have not shot any federal gold medal but i would guess that it would shoot that ammo good to. my first rifle i have well over 6000 rounds through and still shoots great groups but the throat is so long i cant get even 190g smk to sit just off the lands. some people are more lucky than others, there is only 1 gun store in the chicago land area where 1 at a time can be found , or if found at all. so when i finally heard from a bud that a store 50 mile west of me had another i had to go buy it. the milspec riffling is top notch in my book, it shoots great and cleans better than any other 700 i have including the 40x. if anyone has a actual number please let me know, i have contacted remington and waiting for a call if i find out i will let you all know!
good shhoting!!

Go to GAT guns in Dundee IL. They have 24' versions and the threaded 20" version always in stock. They are not that hard to find. They are a nice rifle for the price, plus its a Remington so there are tons of aftermarket goodies for it.

g.a.t. is where i bought both of them, i bet next time you go they wont have one. i have spent 18000 in guns there the last 4 years. i was talking with randy the manager and i was trying to find out when they would get another and he didnt seem to confident about when they would get another. and dont ever take anything there for work. they dont have a actual gunsmith, just parts changers, i had a gun there for over 9 months until they finally figured out they dont know what they were doing and had to send it back to remington. if you go there talk to bob or randy, there are the only smart ones there it seems. and if you are into fishing all there fishing shit is 40% off! i think they might finally open up a reloading section! thats the rumor as of now

so im just guesing that nobody really knows how many are made

There's one less in the world because of me.

I had a 10th anniversary 5r .308 and tore it apart.

why would you tear it appart, are you just going to use the action?

I have a NIB Rem 700 5R in 223 Rem with the 20" threaded barrel that I'm thinking about selling. If you'd be looking for something like that shoot me a PM and if I sell it, I'll send you a PM for dibs....IIRC, I paid $1020/shipped to my FFL.

Acusport has 68 .308 Rem 700 SS 5R milspecs in stock at the time of me typing this post. They aren't hard to get right now at all.

i just got off the phone with remington, there are only sold from remington to acusport, then acusport does the distribution of them, there are no other dealers that remington will sell them to, dont know why but thats what was said. they also will not give a number that are produced each year or so on, i tried but i guess only remington will know for sure, thats why most gun stores may have only one at a time if any.

I've read from a few different reviews...
"It is a special yearly production in the neighborhood of 500 per year".

Between 2001 (first year of 5r SS "milspec") to 2011 (5r SS 10th year anniversary)that would be 5000

The review being authoritative, is the question though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob munden 45lc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would you tear it appart, are you just going to use the action? </div></div>

It was time to upgrade. The only parts I have left from the original rifle are the action and the trigger

i called rem again to try and get more info, all the people saying there are military barrel recontoured is not correct. all the mean by milspec barrel is the tools used for the rifling, they also said they cant copy what the military uses which is 1 in 11. and the 700 ss 5r is 1 in 11.25 and they only use the tools for the m40 or m24 barrels to make the 700 ss 5r. dont know how accurate this is but thats what they told me, so if its true the m24 and 40 for the military is a 1 in 11, and i tried to get a number made and got no where again, they just said acusport is who they sell them to. i really wish i could find out more info that isnt internet bull sh#t!

Have you tried calling Accusport? Your best chance of getting an accurate number of 5r rifles produced will come from them. The twist of rifling on the 5r's is.caliber dependent. Remington produces the M24 chambered in 7.62X51 with a 1/11.25 twist. The Marines produce the M40 using a Remington 700 action as a base. Remington does produce a 40X version of the 700 rifle in their custom shop but these bear little in common with the USMC M40 series. The USMC M40a1 & M40a3 both have a twist rate of 1/12. You have several options for twist rate when buying a Remington 40X from their custom shop. I chose a 1/10 twist when I had my Remington 40XBKS chambered in 308 built years ago. It was a great shooter.

The 700 5r series are great factory rifles and would be at the top of my list if I were interested in buying a factory Remington 700. As you have found they are a limited production run produced for Accusport. They have used a very successful marketing ploy in selling them, but short of the tooling used to make the barrels and the fact that they use a Remington 700 action, there is very little that is "mil spec" about them.

The truth is the made about a 100000 of them ten years ago and have been just slowly selling a few every year through there distributor. They are all sitting in boxes in crates in their warehouse. I'm just guessing at this but it's probably closer to the truth than you might think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pure_mahem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The truth is the made about a 100000 of them ten years ago and have been just slowly selling a few every year through there distributor. They are all sitting in boxes in crates in their warehouse. I'm just guessing at this but it's probably closer to the truth than you might think. </div></div>

That's bullshit. Do you really think they would make that many of them that is a special order for a single distributor hoping that they wouldnbuy them all? I think no.

No to mention the changes they have gone through would have cost them a loss. Change trigger to xmark, then xmark pro. First ones were non jlock, then jlock, now no jlock again. First ones were shared the same stock as the early VS's and VSSF's now they use the same stock as the current VSF and VSSF2 but black with green webbing. Now they also offer 223 versions in both 24" non threaded, 20" threaded, a 308 20" threaded, and 300WM's in 24" threaded and 26" non threaded.

I highly highly highly doubt they just have all those rifles sitting there over the years. They are made as accusport orders them and probably always will be. Have you ever been to the Remington plant? I have and they don't have the warehouse space to just store 100,000 rifles accusport may not buy.

i do know there is nothing milspec about them except barrel length and the tool used to make the barrel, but do know they shoot better than any other 700 i have and i know of. they are almost as accurate as custom rifles at a 1/3 the cost. both of my rifles will shoot under a 1/2 moa almost evry time to the range, and when they dont i would bet its me, i have had nothing but a great experiance with both the rifles and they love everything from a 168 smk to the heavy 190smk, i just want to know the number made. and no matter what i try i cant find out, i just cant believe anybody would buy any 700 for 700 dollars to 800 and you can buy a 5r for a couple hundred bucks more and get a ss action and barrel, the bolt is jeweled and a decent hs precision stock, i would say thare worth the money especially when it comes to accuracy!

Bob, I have one that does 1/2 MOA with the Federal Gold Medal ammo. I saw that you had commented on it earlier. It has a Gemtech tensioning quickmount insatlled and I use a Quicksand suppressor. As you said the rifle is well worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pure_mahem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The truth is the made about a 100000 of them ten years ago and have been just slowly selling a few every year through there distributor. They are all sitting in boxes in crates in their warehouse. I'm just guessing at this but it's probably closer to the truth than you might think. </div></div>

That's bullshit. Do you really think they would make that many of them that is a special order for a single distributor hoping that they wouldnbuy them all? I think no.

No to mention the changes they have gone through would have cost them a loss. Change trigger to xmark, then xmark pro. First ones were non jlock, then jlock, now no jlock again. First ones were shared the same stock as the early VS's and VSSF's now they use the same stock as the current VSF and VSSF2 but black with green webbing. Now they also offer 223 versions in both 24" non threaded, 20" threaded, a 308 20" threaded, and 300WM's in 24" threaded and 26" non threaded.

I highly highly highly doubt they just have all those rifles sitting there over the years. They are made as accusport orders them and probably always will be. Have you ever been to the Remington plant? I have and they don't have the warehouse space to just store 100,000 rifles accusport may not buy. </div></div>

Sounds like sarcasm to me, let me buy you a drink bud.

i dont think they are much of a limited run. I have one and they are for sale everywhere

seems to be fairly common, i have the 5r, and i asked the gun shop for a rem 700 in .308 and that was one of the first ones he pulled up for me. will be shooting it for the first time this weekend, have had it since may.

everyone seems to think there are many made, but i seem to be the only one that has ever had one at 2 of the ranges out here, i see alot of 700s but no 5r riffles, and many people seem to have opinions about no shortage but it really does seem nobody knows, most of us seem to be big into guns and most of us have one but i do believe there are not as many as we think, we all hang out with avid shooters and most of the avid shooters have one but the general amount of people have a regular 700 or the 20inch tactical with the 1 in ten barrel, i will find out a ball park number i hope and there will be no more guessing. and the majority off people wont spend a couple hundred bucks on a 700 5r just because they dont know a good shooter from a regular 700 so why spend the money, thats what i think.

I know that Acusport has over one hundred of every 5R models in stock right now. Under inventory it just states YES instead of an actual amount which means they have at least 100 in stock.

I think the reason you don't see as many is they are more expensive than a lot of the 700s that the average guy is likely to purchase. Every time I needed to get one for the store or for a customer they have been readily available.

Another reason someone might have a hard time finding one is they are an Acusport exclusive so if the FFL isn't set up with them, they won't be finding one at any of the other distributors.

does the 5r work as well in 223 as it does in 308? i am interested in another 223 for my daughter but dont know if i should even bother with the 5r 223, all i know is the 5r 308 is the best factory rifle in that price range!