• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 that fires when safety released need new trigger advice.

yocan

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Detroit
So neighbors rem700 in 30-06 if you pull the trigger on safe will fire when you flip the safety. (I missed my first deer to that 23 years ago so I get it)
So obviously its going to a gunsmith but I'm thinking logically nows the time to put a new trigger in it as he felt the trigger was a bit overly heavy. So to get his ducks in a row to end with a really good trigger is there a good value drop in trigger he could have installed by a smith? (or is there one that will eliminate this issue that can be drop in)

Smooth 4/5 lbs will make him ecstatic.

Guns not too pricey its a $800 rifle so nothing in the 400$ range if practical.

So neighbors rem700 in 30-06 if you pull the trigger on safe will fire when you flip the safety. (I missed my first deer to that 23 years ago so I get it)
So obviously its going to a gunsmith but I'm thinking logically nows the time to put a new trigger in it as he felt the trigger was a bit overly heavy. So to get his ducks in a row to end with a really good trigger is there a good value drop in trigger he could have installed by a smith? (or is there one that will eliminate this issue that can be drop in)

Smooth 4/5 lbs will make him ecstatic.

Guns not too pricey its a $800 rifle so nothing in the 400$ range if practical.
Timney, Jewel, Trigger Tech all make 700 drop in triggers. Pick one, they are all good.

• Love
Reactions: BoltRunner
If you cover the back and forth to me, I'll put a nice trigger in your rifle for you for free I have a few hundred laying around :)

Mike R.
I am starting a new build so need your advice. Which triggers are your favorite (a good combination of accuracy and reliability in the field)?

I think that Remington will still put in a new trigger, free.

I didn't know there were still Remington rifles floating around that did this. I owned two that did goofy things like this. The trick for me was to keep the mechanisms really clean. Of course, the definite fix would be a new trigger.

Its probably a Walker style trigger and is dirty. Common failure mode for these triggers when dirty or improperly adjusted. I just did a trigger job on a 1982 Rem 700 last night with a Walker trigger. When properly maintained and adjusted, they are fine. Aftermarket triggers are more reliable and offer a higher degree of safety, BUT many people dont want to spend $150 on a $400 hunting rifle. (I am not one of those people).

The trigger likely can be cleaned and adjusted. Also, I would take advantage of the previous offer if you are uncomfortable with the Walker style trigger.

This is/was a known problem with Remington 700 triggers. There have been a few deaths and lawsuits over this. Most were because someone did a DIY trigger job or because it was dirty. I had one of my 700's do this and it was dirty. I had hunted in Wyoming and it was full of red dust. I cleaned it really well and it worked fine but I replaced it with a Jewell trigger.

As the others have said, there are lots of choices for after market triggers. I just settled on Jewell.

I had something similar happen to me with a brand new r700 that went off when the bolt was close on the first round in it. But I would take Mike R. on his offer his builds are truly amazing.

Did you bother pulling the action from the stock?

I've only seen 1 malfunction, and it was so rusted out I couldn't believe anything still moved.

$100 timney if he's cheap.

Reactions: WAMBO
I had something similar happen to me with a brand new r700 that went off when the bolt was close on the first round in it.
Yep, that's one of the things they do. Or, another thing my two rifles would do was when you pull the trigger, nothing happens. Then, when you partially lift the bolt to open the action - BOOM.

Yep, that's one of the things they do. Or, another thing my two rifles would do was when you pull the trigger, nothing happens. Then, when you partially lift the bolt to open the action - BOOM.
Mine was one of the x mark trigger, But I took it out after that incident and replaced it with a 510 and I machined the cocking piece to get correct engagement with the trigger.

Assuming you don't send it to Mike, and for anyone else who comes across this in the future without that option, I would (and have) just go with a basic Timney for $100. Is it as nice as a more expensive TriggerTech? No, I have one of those too. But it is really nice for 100 bucks and the difference between it and a factory trigger will be night and day.

I recently installed a TriggerTech "Special" in my 700, set for 1 5/8 pound break. I only shoot this rifle off the bench. I really like that there is no take-up, breaks like the proverbial glass rod, and almost zero over-travel. Also like how easy it is to adjust the weight without taking the action out of the stock, and it has very positive clicks.

If you are thinking of changing the trigger, the TriggerTech is worth considering.

This problem is due to one of two or both reasons. Cleaning a rifle without anything to keep the cleaning fluids and gunk from dropping into the action, like a bore guide, and down into the trigger will gum up the works causing the trigger to malfunction or the lubricant in the trigger mechanisms dried or has got gummy due to age; if this is happening more when it is cold outside that is more than likely the cause. You can remove the trigger assembly and clean it, ultrasonic is best, but replacing it with a nice aftermarket like the Timmeny Elite Hunter for the Remington 700 would be a better choice since you will get a much smoother and better breaking trigger you can find these from $130 to $150 depending on where you by them, a lot of places have them on sale right now for Christmas. You could rework the factory trigger, but unless you rework your factory trigger correctly, and put the correct spring set (Eddies) in it, it won't be much better than a factory unmodified. Even reworked correctly they are not as good as an aftermarket.

To the OP I am still waiting for your call and like I stated I'm very happy to help...
If you decide not to send it to me nooo worries ;)

Mike R.

OP.... if you haven't fixed this problem, send it to Mike NOW. There aren't many people I would trust to finger-fiddle my stick, but his work speaks for itself. He has made alot of people happy.... professionally speaking.😄

Reactions: gnochi