• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 trigger fit 600?

moto357

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
adirondacks
have a rem 600 im trying building off of, and have found very limited info, although some, reguarding the ability to put a 700 trigger on the 600. I ask since all I can find for aftermarked for the 600 is Timney, but lots to choose from for the 700.

thanks for any help

Re: rem 700 trigger fit 600?

It will fit but the trigger blade will be almost a half inch back from where the 600 blade would normaly be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will fit but the trigger blade will be almost a half inch back from where the 600 blade would normaly be. </div></div>

In other words - they fit the action but not the trigger guard.

It will fit in the trigger bow but, it will be all the way back. I have a Shilen 700 trigger in my rear grip XP-100 pistol and it works fine.

sounds like i might be ok since im having the stock made without being inletted for the trigger guard, as im leaving the magazine well solid for single shot use only and will be using an ADL trigger guard

thats what i was leaning toward, a rifle basix. I'm assuming i'd have to buy a 700 safety to go along with it, but maybe you could tell me if the factory safety would fit? not sure i would want the looks of the factory safety tho.. just thinking out loud

600 safety. I like 700 safeties as a total firecontrol upgrade on a 721(complete trigger swap,with some slight tang work).

If I remember correctly, during the M/600 series recall in 1978, the M/700 fire control was retrofitted to the M/600. The catch was the sear had to be modified to eliminate interference with (something)- this is what I cant remember??? I know for certain there was a modification to the sear & the sear part numbers were different for each model after the M/700 fire control was retrofitted to the M/600 series.

Aug ><>

this trigger is one that went through the recall, but it was before i owned it.

i removed the barreled action from the stock to look at the trigger, and looking at its placement with the trigger guard and realized the trigger is for sure further forward as you guys pointed out. i think when i get everything together this will be a non-issue using the ADL trigger guard. with the rear trigger guard screw being so close to the trigger assembly, im curious how things will fit, if at all.. and with an aluminum pillar, no room! maybe fill in the threds on the tang(weld?) and drill and tap for the 700 trigger guard screw?

more out loud thinking.. thanks for the continued feedback everyone

The RB mated to an ADL TG in a McMillan handle is my favorite oute to 600 happiness. I also like to go with a 700 bolt handle.

Don't weld on your tang and simply SteelBed the TG into place,while driving the issued tang fastener location upon the 600.

Standard fare.

you seem to have yer 600 done and done well FreshKills. i too will be getting a 700 tactical bolt handle.

as far as your last post, im pretty sure i understood what you are saying, but is there any chance you could post a few pictures of what you've done? seems like a lot of what im picturing in my head you've already gone through with. if you dont want to post here you can PM me or i'll give you an email. you've already been quite helpful though, its greatly appreciated!

what stock are you using?

Moto

I believe you are correct, the modification to the sear was to address interferences with the action screw, but I am not absolutely sure as I sit here today. If the fire control was replaced under the recall, then it should have a "V" stamped to one side of the trigger bow. Otherwise it would have been part of the replacement during routine production that was continued for a very limited time after the recall. The fire control should be riveted side plates to spacer blocks, instead of the folded sheet metal housing that was used prior to the recall. I would set the action in a quality fiberglass stock & use steel bed - bedding compound & avoid plug welding the action screw hole in the tang, but that is just my opinion for what that may be worth??

Aug ><>

what about a Jard trigger kit for the 700? any reason that wouldn't be used the same?

im not comepletely sure i follow what you ment when saying to use the steel bed-bedding compound? im not familiar with the stuff and im not exactly how you mean to be using it instead of welding im debating on with the tang. just to make it clear, i was thinking of welding the threaded hole on the tang shut, grinding it flush, then drilling and tapping for the 700 rear tang screw,and a little further back so i'd have room for an aluminum pillar. is this logical or am i way off? im not a gunsmith by any means, so if this doesn't make sense or seems plenty dumb dont anyone heasitate to let me know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moto357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you seem to have yer 600 done and done well FreshKills. i too will be getting a 700 tactical bolt handle.

as far as your last post, im pretty sure i understood what you are saying, but is there any chance you could post a few pictures of what you've done? seems like a lot of what im picturing in my head you've already gone through with. if you dont want to post here you can PM me or i'll give you an email. you've already been quite helpful though, its greatly appreciated!

what stock are you using? </div></div>

I don't know that I have any closeups and all I can think of offhand is a bunch of dead critter pics.