• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Trigger pin orientation

willidru

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2017
I just got this blueprinted Rem 700 SA from PTG. When I was looking it over the front and rear trigger pins looked like they were installed backwards. The flat side is on the side of the bolt catch. When I go to swap out the trigger it looks like I would have to knock out the pins from the bolt catch side instead of the other way in which the bolt catch could stay in place if I didn't drive the pins out too far. I might be totally wrong or maybe it doesn't matter, but thought I would look for some input

Attachments

• RM1.jpg
    RM1.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 428
  • RM2.jpg
    RM2.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 550
  • RM3.jpg
    RM3.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 415
Front is backwards but as long as it's not binding on the bolt release it's no big deal.

If I'm going to replace with Trigger Tech trigger I should flop the orientation correct?

Your tirgger pins are in the correct way if you try to move front to back it will block you from installing the bolt stop the short pin goes in front which it is and the long one goes in the back which it is and they are even pointed in the right direction. If you take them out you will see that the rear pin hilding the bolt stop is about .200" longer so it can hold the bolt stop and spring.

Montrose

Sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean flop orientation from front to back. I meant flip the direction that the pin goes in from left to right. It seems like one side is smooth at the head and the other has a head with a lip for a stop.

no they are going the right way the pointed end goes towards to where it is staked if you changed direction then that pointed end might cause the bolt stop to tilt and bind the bolt stop.

Montrose

no they are going the right way the pointed end goes towards to where it is staked if you changed direction then that pointed end might cause the bolt stop to tilt and bind the bolt stop.

Montrose

Thanks for the clarification

If like you said initially, you want to retain the bolt stop/spring during trigger removal/installation you can easily drive rear pin back out from tapered end. But that means driving out front pin with smaller punch because the bolt stop blocks part of the front hole when in position. Then putting front pin back in would be tapered end towards bolt stop. Bottom line is rear (long) pin needs to be as shown in your pics. Front (short) pin can be either way but if you want to retain bolt stop - it's going to be opposite from your pic. Staking of the pin holes is not so great as to really matter.

Last edited:
If like you said initially, you want to retain the bolt stop/spring during trigger removal/installation you can easily drive rear pin back out from tapered end. But that means driving out front pin with smaller punch because the bolt stop blocks part of the front hole when in position. Then putting front pin back in would be tapered end towards bolt stop. Bottom line is rear (long) pin needs to be as shown in your pics. Front (short) pin can be either way but if you want to retain bolt stop - it's going to be opposite from your pic. Staking of the pin holes is not so great as to really matter.

Very informative, thank you