• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Rem. 700 trigger pins stuck

stuntman3-1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
St George UT
I have a new un barreled Remington 700 action. When I tried to remove the trigger retaining pins they will not budge. I have removed many 700 triggers and have never encountered this problem before. Soaked the pins with penetrating oil for several days and still not budging. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I haven't had this issue with Remingtons, but I sure as heck have had them with old Mausers. I've used a spring-loaded center punch on some recalcitrant pins that refused to budge, even when using the "bigger hammer". The "shock" of the spring loaded punch sometimes is enough to budge the pin from its resting spot, at which time you can drift it out the rest of the way.

I haven't had this issue with Remingtons, but I sure as heck have had them with old Mausers. I've used a spring-loaded center punch on some recalcitrant pins that refused to budge, even when using the "bigger hammer". The "shock" of the spring loaded punch sometimes is enough to budge the pin from its resting spot, at which time you can drift it out the rest of the way.

Seems like a center punch would flare the pin and make matters worse.

It pays to secure it in a vise to insure that the blows' energy is transferred to the pin and not the receiver. A starter punch to initiate movement also helps.

Last edited:
Make sure the safety selector is in the correct position so the pin clears when it finally breaks loose...learned my lesson on that one the hard way...stupid.