• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 trigger question

nic_bravo_whiskey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
El Paso, Texas
I have a guy that will sell me an old Remington 700 trigger that he describes as a "3 screw model". Will this older trigger work in a new action? I would rather have an older trigger than the new trigger.

Re: Rem 700 trigger question

i have 2 remington 700s and one is a .308 about 5 years old im guessing and the other is a .243 brand new with the adustable trigger. i THINK you could make it work because internally the triggers are built slightly different but they interface with the bolt the same way. the issue would be is it drop in or would you have to take it to a gunsmith and have your triggerguard assembly modified. my eyeball isnt a micrometer and im not a gunsmith.

i love that x mark pro trigger though y dont you like it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leroyZjenkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have 2 remington 700s and one is a .308 about 5 years old im guessing and the other is a .243 brand new with the adustable trigger. i THINK you could make it work because internally the triggers are built slightly different but they interface with the bolt the same way. the issue would be is it drop in or would you have to take it to a gunsmith and have your triggerguard assembly modified. my eyeball isnt a micrometer and im not a gunsmith.

i love that x mark pro trigger though y dont you like it? </div></div>

I don't have an opinion based on a whole lot of use, as I had a Savage. I am in the process of a custom 700 build. From what I have read and from what a lot of the guys say at the range, the old triggers are better. One example, Tac Ops. Last I heard they refused to work with the new triggers. They prefer the older triggers.

Itll work,I know because I had to send my new SPSS back to remington and I gave the X mark trigger away, free, and I had a old 3 screw on hand I had to put on the new rifle before I sent it back, wasnt going to leave the jewell on, Id never get that back. And I hate the new X mark pro trigger, bring back the 3 screw model, please. Oh hell, Ill just buy another Jewell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Itll work,I know because I had to send my new SPSS back to remington and I gave the X mark trigger away, free, and I had a old 3 screw on hand I had to put on the new rifle before I sent it back, wasnt going to leave the jewell on, Id never get that back. And I hate the new X mark pro trigger, bring back the 3 screw model, please. Oh hell, Ill just buy another Jewell. </div></div>

Thanks. I was thinking about going with a Jewell trigger as well. Most likly will stick with the older factory trigger. Just want to be certain that it will work.

I am not sure if they will work but if you find out that you can't use an older trigger in a new action I think you can't go wrong with a Jewel or Timney trigger. Can't really decide which one I like more since they are on almost the same exact level in pull (1.5 lbs).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: I Am Hero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure if they will work but if you find out that you can't use an older trigger in a new action I think you can't go wrong with a Jewel or Timney trigger. Can't really decide which one I like more since they are on almost the same exact level in pull (1.5 lbs). </div></div>
yOU DIDNT READ THE POST ABOVE YOURS, DID YOU? DAMN CAP LOCKS.
The trigger I mounted on my new SPSS so i could send it back to Remington for repair(New bolt) was an old 3 screw from my 6mm Rem that I bought back in 89.

As a gunsmith, I've done trigger jobs on several hundred Remington 700's over the years. The answer to your question is :
YES. A Remington 700 trigger will work whether it's a new X-Mark Pro or the older trigger.

With a little attention and proper adjustment the Remington trigger is great. Typically we adjust the triggers down to 1.5 # for our target shooters and 2.5 # for our hunters. We can get the older triggers down in the 3/4 to 1.0 # range without slam fires but that requires a little more attention.

Hope this answered your question.

Howard Mahute

Rumble Wepnz
Milton, FL.