• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Varmint same barrel and action as 700P?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey guys,

Dick's has the Remington 700 Varmint in their catalog and it has a heavy bull barrel.

It comes in either 308, 223 or 22-250. Would the 308 be the same barrel and action that is found on a 700P? The rifle in question has a Mossy Oak brush camo stock, if you have a Dick's catalog.

For $449, just seems cheap.

Re: Rem 700 Varmint same barrel and action as 700P?

I would say they are as well, different finish though, and maybe not as much attention when being assembled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone own one of these and can attest to the accuracy, fit and function of them? </div></div>

I own a 700P and absolutely am amazed by the accuracy of a factory rifle that is mass produced. Can't go wrong with one. Many people start with these actions.

If you are asking if it is a good deal I say yes. The Remington 700 is a great starting place. I just got a Remington 700 VS in 223 and it shoots 60 Gr VMAX into .5 - .8 MOA depending on me. Just buy ammo and have fun. When you burn the barrel out send it to a reputable gunsmith and have it accurized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are the same actions, but different finish.

Sounds like a good choice to me.

Even the 700P is coming with X-Mark triggers now. </div></div>

The 700P is NOT coming with the X-Mark Pro trigger now. They are now shipping the 700P with the top of the line 40-X trigger system. The varmints are coming with the X-Mark Pro system.

* The 40-X has the trigger adjustment in between the trigger and the bolt release.

* The X-Mark Pro has a trigger adjustment screw accessible through the trigger itself.

The Varmints do not come with an HS Precision stock with the full receiver length aluminum bedding block. They actually come with standard pillar bedding in a light weight polymer stock.

The 700P comes with a superb Parkerized finish and the Varmints come with a coated barrel.

You can pretend that the two platforms are close to the same thing, but with the exception of a 26" heavy barrel, they are very different animals.

Right, I understand the benefits of the true 700P rifle, and I actually already have one. I really like the HS stock and didn't want to separate the barreled action from it. HOWEVER, I also really want a McMillan A5 stock.

So if I can buy one of these bad boys and get the same accuracy as my 700P, I can have two 308 rifles.

So, aside from the finish and stock, could I expect the same level of accuracy out of the above mentioned rifle as a 700P?

As gglass pointed out, the big difference is the stock. The action and barrel are essentially the same.

The stock on the Varmint is not nearly as good as the 700P, but for a starting place, it sounds like a great deal. You can learn the fundamentals and later upgrade to a better stock such as McMillan, Manners or AICS. Heck if you check the for sale forums here there always good deals on 700P, LTR or 5R stocks.

Good luck!

Look at it this way, if it's not you spent $450 on the rifle, even if the barrel sucks you can get a Krieger for $290 and have it installed and the action trued for $250. Total you would still be under $1,000 and you would have one kick ass rifle.

This is fucking bullshit. I called Dick's today and they tell me that they can't get me the 308. Even though it's advertised in their flyer, they can't even order one at that price.

mad.gif

Not sure how true this is but I was told by a Remington Rep at the Shot Show in '09 that the 700P has a better barrel accuracy-wise. Since that rifle is intended to be used by LE a little more attention is paid to the overall build of the rifle. Could be total Bullshit but that's what the man told me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is fucking bullshit. I called Dick's today and they tell me that they can't get me the 308. Even though it's advertised in their flyer, they can't even order one at that price.

mad.gif
</div></div>

They're all over gunbroker and other auction sites.

i saw 500$ with a 50$ coupon for all hunting related purchases before the 10th of october or something, that sale is over now so its 500bucks +10 bucks for background check then -10 for the 300points you get for spending 500bucks lol so it comes out to 500 bucks i alrdy checked it all out and im going to dicks to buy one in .308 sometime this week

Anyone know what the twist rates are on the different calibers offered? I found what they are on the regular 700 sps on Remingtons website. Not sure if the Dicks exclusive models are the same.

Sounds like the varmint is the same rifle as the 700P with the exception of the stock, finish and maybe the trigger. As others have said, that's a kick ass deal for a good rifle that you can rebarrel in a few years and have an awesome custom rifle. Spend $150 on gunbroker and get an HS takeoff from someone and you'll have a 700P for all intents and purposes. I did that with my SPS-T and the stock (5R) is great.

On a related note, speaking of finish..... Is the SPS-T parkerized. Or is that just a dull finish coating?

Might pick up one in 223 or 308. With the twist rates offered I guess the 308 would be fine for 155 grain projectiles. And the 223 would be ok for up to 55 grain projectiles. Any thoughts? I'm used to my 1 in 10 on my Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might pick up one in 223 or 308. With the twist rates offered I guess the 308 would be fine for 155 grain projectiles. And the 223 would be ok for up to 55 grain projectiles. Any thoughts? I'm used to my 1 in 10 on my Savage. </div></div>

I think the whole thing over twist rates is way overblown. I shoot 175SMKs in a 1:12 SPS 20" and accuracy is awesome out to about 1100 yds. OTOH, I've tried 155s in the same gun and they suck! Same in the .223 - I have a good friend who shoots 69 and 77grs pills (and even occasionally 80 SMKs) out of a 1:9 Colt 6724 and he's unhappy if he shoots over 1/2 MOA.

I think stressing over twist rate is way overblown. Unless you want to shoot the 210 gr and heavier bullets out of a .308, a 1/12 works great. IMHO...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might pick up one in 223 or 308. With the twist rates offered I guess the 308 would be fine for 155 grain projectiles. And the 223 would be ok for up to 55 grain projectiles. Any thoughts? I'm used to my 1 in 10 on my Savage. </div></div>

I think the whole thing over twist rates is way overblown. I shoot 175SMKs in a 1:12 SPS 20" and accuracy is awesome out to about 1100 yds. OTOH, I've tried 155s in the same gun and they suck! Same in the .223 - I have a good friend who shoots 69 and 77grs pills (and even occasionally 80 SMKs) out of a 1:9 Colt 6724 and he's unhappy if he shoots over 1/2 MOA.

I think stressing over twist rate is way overblown. Unless you want to shoot the 210 gr and heavier bullets out of a .308, a 1/12 works great. IMHO... </div></div>

Thanks. I am thinking about selling my 10FP and picking one of these up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might pick up one in 223 or 308. With the twist rates offered I guess the 308 would be fine for 155 grain projectiles. And the 223 would be ok for up to 55 grain projectiles. Any thoughts? I'm used to my 1 in 10 on my Savage. </div></div>

I think stressing over twist rate is way overblown. Unless you want to shoot the 210 gr and heavier bullets out of a .308, a 1/12 works great. IMHO... </div></div>

Thanks. I am thinking about selling my 10FP and picking one of these up. </div></div>

I've never shot the Savage to compare, but you won't be dissappointed with the SPS-T. FYI though, the new AAC-SD version IS 1:10 in the .308. No clue what the new .223 version is.

check brixen arms on gunbroker. I just bought a varmint from him BNIB in .308 he gave it to me for 555.99 shipped to my ffl.

The model Dicks has is 1:12 for 308, 1:12 for 223 and 1:14 for 22-250. Supposedly a 243 is offered at a 9.25 twist but none of the stores seem to be able to get one. I have seen the same complaint from several guys online in different areas of the country to. I am going to go with the 308 and hope that the 155's shoot well for me. Plan to add a B&C stock and some bottom metal with a DBM as soon as I get my bonus check from work (hopefully by mid December). What would be the recommended bottom metal? I have heard great things about the work Jeff does at CDI! I also seen the Wyatt's DBM kit. Any recommendations? Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The model Dicks has is 1:12 for 308, 1:12 for 223 and 1:14 for 22-250. Supposedly a 243 is offered at a 9.25 twist but none of the stores seem to be able to get one. I have seen the same complaint from several guys online in different areas of the country to. I am going to go with the 308 and hope that the 155's shoot well for me. Plan to add a B&C stock and some bottom metal with a DBM as soon as I get my bonus check from work (hopefully by mid December). What would be the recommended bottom metal? I have heard great things about the work Jeff does at CDI! I also seen the Wyatt's DBM kit. Any recommendations? Thanks guys </div></div>

What 155's are you hoping to shoot? I have a 700P that loves the Hornady 150 SST round.

Lee.

Plan on trying the A-max's, Scenars, SMK palmas and possibly some Bergers. All have good BC's and are suitable for any of the game I hunt.

I shoot 168gr Barnes TSX's out of my Savage 10fp @ 2750fps and it loves them. 1 hole groups at 100 if I do my part

I have an older 700VS from about 2002, and it will shoot minute of angle all day long with quality ammo. To the OP...back in 2002 the barrel, and action was the same as the 700P unit. Just a different finish.

Will CDI bottom metal fit right into a B&C medalist or will it need to be opened up a little more. I decided to pick one of these up for sure in the next couple of weeks and I am getting a list together of what all I will need. Thanks

Yes but the varment stock is a POS. get a remington 700 SPS tactical. It should be around $600 same exact rifle accept you get a 20" barrel over the 26". Better IMO... and the stock is one notch down from the 700p's.. Still do able but not the best. But a huge difference from the varment stock.