• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Varmint Specials

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Does anyone remember when the Rem 700 Varmint Specials were being sold, how they came from the factory? They came with no sights but did the scope mounting holes have filler screws in them or did they come with the bases or?? I am trying to obtain 1 of each caliber they offered but I don't think I'm going to scope them, just keep them as a set and I want them to be just as they would have come from Remington. They are great rifles, and hopefully decent investments.

Re: Rem 700 Varmint Specials

If I remember correctly, they also came with target blocks.

I have a Varmint Synthetic....from about 2002. Is this the gun you're talking about? It came with a HS Varmint stock, and screws in the base holes. No accessories came with it. Barreled action is the same as a 700P, but no parkerizing. 28" barrel, and it's a good shooter if I do my part.

My first Varmint Special was a .223 purchased in the mid 80's. It had the high gloss BDL wood stock,filler screws in the receiver,but no target blocks at that time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first Varmit Special 700 was a then new caliber .22/250. It was a basic BDL stock opened up for the heavy barrel and came with target blocks for the scope, filler screws in the reciever holes. I have the original blocks if you need them for collector purposes.
</div></div>

What are target blocks??

I think i know what they are. I did a little looking on gun broker and found a 1967 rem 700 varmint special. the target blocks are scope mounts, one on the receiver and the other on the barrel. Correct? Lee

I bought my first .22/250 Varmint Special around 1970 while I was still in school. It had the target blocks - up front it was about a 1" x 1/2" x 3/8" wide block and in back it was more like a 1/4" high x 3/8" wide block. They were for the old Unertl type target scope mounts.

The receivers were drilled and tapped for regular scope mounts also with filler plugs. Mine wore a Weaver K-12 A.O. for years.

Heres my 6MM Varmint Special. From Lacy's book, Target Blocks were dropped near the end of 1983.
Guns262.jpg

Very nice 6mm. First high powered rifle I ever shot was Varmint Special in .223. That don't make nice guns like these anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valhalla ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone remember when the Rem 700 Varmint Specials were being sold, how they came from the factory? They came with no sights but did the scope mounting holes have filler screws in them or did they come with the bases or?? I am trying to obtain 1 of each caliber they offered but I don't think I'm going to scope them, just keep them as a set and I want them to be just as they would have come from Remington. They are great rifles, and hopefully decent investments. </div></div>

I was drooling over the Rem 700 Varmint Specials back in the late 1960's and could not buy one until the early 1970's. This was my first "real" rifle, a BDL Varmint Special in .308W with the high gloss finished wood stock with ebony caps and white line spacers. The rifle also originally came with one of those funny old school scope blocks on the barrel. I still have this rifle and it still shoots extremely well with custom loads and some match loaded NATO cartridges. When I modernized my R700 with a match trigger, B&C Medalist A5 Tactical stock, Seekins base, rings and IOR 3-18x42 SHE scope I removed the scope block and used filler screws in the holes.

I can't say they are great investments as they are easily found in good shape at literaly the bottom of the price range for decent modern centerfire rifles. But the amazing thing is that they manage to shoot so well. My old R700 BDL VS admittedly recently lightly reworked still rings the steel at 600+ yards without trying too hard from a bi-pod and the small rocks we use as targets at 700-1,000 yards continue to get smaller every time we visit the range.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice 6mm. First high powered rifle I ever shot was Varmint Special in .223. That don't make nice guns like these anymore. </div></div>

I have always loved Remington's but I've noticed to get mine to shoot the way I wanted it to, I had to spend another $1000 in gunsmithing work to do it. Which means I have a $2000 Remington 700P

I just bought a Steyr SSG 69 and out of the box that thing is a .5 MOA rifle and is cheaper than my worked over 700P.

Maybe my taste has changed but unless Remington comes out with a rifle that can run with my Steyr, I dont think I will ever buy another one!

I will never get rid of my 700 though, after all the work it is a sub min rifle and I love extended range I gain from the .300 WM

I bought a varmit special in 22-250 around 2003. First and only lemon from remington I ever had....

it came with filler screws in the action.

@ 1979 I bought my Varmint Special .308, a Weaver T-10, a Canjar trigger and shot Metallic Silhouette with it. I still have the rig. I paid $230.00 for the rifle. It came with target block on the barrel and filler screws in the receiver. Shot a ton of 168smk/40gr./IMR4895 and it still shoots half minute. Recently I dropped in an AICS, took it to the range, and it "wadded em up" at 100yds.

How sad that you have to spend 1000.00$ to make your Remington shoot. I own them in several calibers and they all shoot 1/2 groups with nothing more then the trigger tuned. I must just get lucky all the time. .223-22-250-.308 and .300 Winmag. All shoot 1/2 inch groups ( handloads) with the .300 shooting the best. They are Sendero models or BDL varmints. I guess I have had the wooden guns bedded.Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Varmint Synthetic....from about 2002. Is this the gun you're talking about? It came with a HS Varmint stock, and screws in the base holes. No accessories came with it. Barreled action is the same as a 700P, but no parkerizing. 28" barrel, and it's a good shooter if I do my part. </div></div>

This is exactly how my buddy's came. If only I can get it off of him since he never brings it out to play
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice 6mm. First high powered rifle I ever shot was Varmint Special in .223. That don't make nice guns like these anymore. </div></div>

I have always loved Remington's but I've noticed to get mine to shoot the way I wanted it to, I had to spend another $1000 in gunsmithing work to do it. Which means I have a $2000 Remington 700P

I just bought a Steyr SSG 69 and out of the box that thing is a .5 MOA rifle and is cheaper than my worked over 700P.

Maybe my taste has changed but unless Remington comes out with a rifle that can run with my Steyr, I dont think I will ever buy another one!

I will never get rid of my 700 though, after all the work it is a sub min rifle and I love extended range I gain from the .300 WM</div></div>

What is wrong with your Rem700? Although my Rem700 .308 has never been good with factory hunting ammo while out shooting $12 a box 147gr Prvi Partizan NATO ammo my 35+ year old R700 can shoot 400yd. groups I can cover with a .2 mildot. With match ammo and my own reloads maybe even a bit better. IMO that's not bad for left over NATO ammo mad god know where.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How sad that you have to spend 1000.00$ to make your Remington shoot. I own them in several calibers and they all shoot 1/2 groups with nothing more then the trigger tuned. I must just get lucky all the time. .223-22-250-.308 and .300 Winmag. All shoot 1/2 inch groups ( handloads) with the .300 shooting the best. They are Sendero models or BDL varmints. I guess I have had the wooden guns bedded.Jeff </div></div>

Yep, out of the box with MK 248 MOD 0 it would hold .75 MOA but it wasn't as consistent as I would like.

So I started off with truing the barrel and reciver, then lapping the lugs, then it was blueprinting, working the trigger... so on and so on...

Now the rifle consitently shoots .5 MOA with my 208 A-Max hand load. I'm really happy with it, especially the range I can reach out to and how hard that .300 hits. the point I was making was that I bought the Steyr and the fit and finnish was so much better and the thing shoots .5 MOA out of the box, consistently!! With some load tuning I'm sure I can get that cut in half! .25 MOA rifle!! out of the box... I dont know any 700's that will do that except maybe a Remington Custom Shop 40-x

I do love Remingtons, especially mine. I just feel they have dropped the ball a bit in the fit and finish/ out of box accuracy department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How sad that you have to spend 1000.00$ to make your Remington shoot. I own them in several calibers and they all shoot 1/2 groups with nothing more then the trigger tuned. I must just get lucky all the time. .223-22-250-.308 and .300 Winmag. All shoot 1/2 inch groups ( handloads) with the .300 shooting the best. They are Sendero models or BDL varmints. I guess I have had the wooden guns bedded.Jeff </div></div>

I dont mean any disrespect but in the world of arm chair cammando's and mall ninja's (I'm not saying your are either) it seems like everyone owns a sub-MOA Remington 700 out of the box and I highly doubt that. If your rifle shoots 3 rounds under 1" a few times at 100 yards that doesn't mean you have a sub-MOA gun. Now if you shoot sub-MOA, 5 round groups all day long then you have a sub-MOA rifle.

I bought my M-700 Varment, 223 in 1978 per the adive of the Instructors at the USAMU Sniper School. It came with target blocks but I used redfields mounts and a fixed 6X scope. It shot great out of the box using 5.56 ball. I carried it until I retired in 94. Still shoots great except I dont have access to military ball, so I roll my own for PDs & Coyotes. Still have done a thing to it, the scope/mount setup still holds its zero after all these years.

JFComfort, Send me your 700 if it shoots so bad.
I'll take care of it..Ha ha Steyr firearms do shoot very well, very well.