• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 vs Jewell trigger

Flying Goose

Gun Toting Hippie
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
Wyoming
Alright here's the deal, I'm putting the final pieces in place on a new rifle and I'm running a little over budget. I am trying to put on a Jewell 2 stage trigger (this would be my first 2 stage). What are your thoughts is it worth the 200 bucks to get that?

This is going to be a long range year round plinker 800-? yds and my understanding was that the 2 stage would be better to shoot with gloves on?

If anyone has any additional trigger info I would gladly take that info as well.

Re: rem 700 vs Jewell trigger

Forget the rem stock trigger, get a timney 510 and you'll be just as happy for a bit over 100$

I love my Timney. I am still on the fence about my Huber. But you cannot go wrong with a Timney.

I like the Jewel in my Surgeon, but I do hear great things about the Timney. I think I am going to try a Timney in my new R700 build

Ive got 3 Jewells,love em', never pulled a Timney, for target work Jewell probably rules.

The only complaint I have ever heard about a Jewell is they like to be kept clean. But you should be doing that anyway.
Jewell dominates the benchrest world, though several have tried to gain ground.

Got Jewells in 4 rifles. There awesome. Have not had any issues.

I have two Timneys and I love them both.. So much so Im considering picking one up for my competition AR gun..

I'd get a timney too, cheaper and right close to as good as the jewell.

have to 700P's... one has a jewell the other a worked factory old style remington... the jewell is great... the factory trigger was worked by Lenord Baity several yrs ago for $25... it breaks as clean with no creep... just not as light... if i was tight on funds i'd work the rem. & give it a try... unless your smith want's a pile of money to work it...

Wait and get the jewel if you have to. I love both of mine. One has been covered in mud during training and not a hiccup.

I have all three of the triggers in various bolt action rifles and the Jewell triggers are superior in my opinion to the Rem & Timney triggers.

I just purchased a Timney in place of Jewell because the Jewell triggers were sold out, wish I had waited for the Jewell.

Take a look at the Shilen triggers, the non-stainless ones. I put one on a Badger M2008 build and it is a nice trigger, I would buy another one. I think they are single stage though.

If you want ultra light pull weight the jewell is your only choice without modification. The Timney will only go down to like 2.5lbs without work. Jewell comes out of the package normally at 1.0lb and will go way lighter, but can also be heavied up.

Nothing bad about Timney, for a tactical/plinker I think it fits your bill perfectly, very clean break. I dont know if Im a huge fan of the wide shoe, but thats me.

Jewell goes down to 1.5oz and all the way up. Ive had them for 10yrs or more in a few rifles and never hand an issue. They break like glass. Worth the weight. I was spoiled my my Anschutz 1813L shooting 3 position. I cant shoot a crappy trigger ever again.