• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700

true01

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2014
I want to upgrade my rem 700 short action. I am looking to put a chassis or bottom metal on my rifle. My goal is to shoot 1000 yards. What chassis do you suggest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

If you want something light weight, go with XLR chassis. The owner Kyle is a pleasure to speak to and always answers the phone. Only once did he ever have to call me back in my dealing with him. His Element chassis is economical and has a open barrel design, but if you are going with a barrel length of greater than 22in., then I would double check that's what I like. The chassis was made short so he could keep the price down. At the same time the forearm is 10in. in length witch is like a standard factory stock. Look at the Evolution and other models, and remember the gun on his site that's setting in the Element chassis has a 20in barrel "I believe", so that will give you a visual of having a short barrel within the chassis. Accuracy International, makes a nice chassis as stated in the earlier post. With the AI chassis weight may be a concern depending on your needs. If you like more of a plastic look check out Ashbury. KRG maybe one to look at. Just do a search on "rifle chassis systems", and you should come up with 5-6. Thanks, hope that could help, BullyDog

Been out to 500 yards. Would like to go out on "big boy range" before my twelve year old son. I was looking at the bottom metal and they are running 500 for a little more I seem to be able to purchase a reasonable chassis. Just don't want something I regret later.

Oh and I have a 26" barrel if that makes any difference. Have another stupid question and ready for you to make fun of me. I run a 168 gr bullet someone told me to go to a 155 gr will going down in gr help?

If you want something light weight, go with XLR chassis. The owner Kyle is a pleasure to speak to and always answers the phone. Only once did he ever have to call me back in my dealing with him. His Element chassis is economical and has a open barrel design, but if you are going with a barrel length of greater than 22in., then I would double check that's what I like. The chassis was made short so he could keep the price down. At the same time the forearm is 10in. in length witch is like a standard factory stock. Look at the Evolution and other models, and remember the gun on his site that's setting in the Element chassis has a 20in barrel "I believe", so that will give you a visual of having a short barrel within the chassis. Accuracy International, makes a nice chassis as stated in the earlier post. With the AI chassis weight may be a concern depending on your needs. If you like more of a plastic look check out Ashbury. KRG maybe one to look at. Just do a search on "rifle chassis systems", and you should come up with 5-6. Thanks, hope that could help, BullyDog
I like a heavier stock seems to help with recoil issues.

Oh and I have a 26" barrel if that makes any difference. Have another stupid question and ready for you to make fun of me. I run a 168 gr bullet someone told me to go to a 155 gr will going down in gr help?

Going down would only help if you had the barrel length (28-30") to keep the velocity up. For a 26" barrel I would recommend going with a 175/178gr pill. That will get you to 1K all day long.

Going down would only help if you had the barrel length (28-30") to keep the velocity up. For a 26" barrel I would recommend going with a 175/178gr pill. That will get you to 1K all day long.
I will give it a try. still at 500 right now trying to maintain a 4 inch group at 500 before I tackle the 1000. the range I shoot at goes from 500 to 1000 nothing in the middle. thanks for the info let you know Thurs how it turns out. unfortunately work in 16 hrs till then and have no time to go to the range.

155 Scener is what he was referring to. What kind of shooting do you plan on doing again???

I've been utterly bored shooting my R700 AAC 16.5" in McCree Precision Chassis. It didn't brea the bank, and despite my ineptitude (new word) behind the trigger the rifle would just as soon save paper by using the same hole over and over in the targets.

2yma8y3u.jpg

1:12 and funny way to ask but yes I am a lady

Multiple ranges to 1000

Been looking at McCree they are reasonably priced just want to know what real people think before I jump out and buy something new for my rifle

I've been utterly bored shooting my R700 AAC 16.5" in McCree Precision Chassis. It didn't brea the bank, and despite my ineptitude (new word) behind the trigger the rifle would just as soon save paper by using the same hole over and over in the targets.

2yma8y3u.jpg
i am sure you are very skilled shooter. have you ever heard anything on TAC 21. I am leaning towards McCree

i am sure you are very skilled shooter. have you ever heard anything on TAC 21. I am leaning towards McCree

MDT makes good stuff too. I almost feel bad for chassis makers who for what ever reason need to charge a grand or more, and expect those of us with the patience of a 5 yr just outside Dsneyland to wait weeks or months for a stock.... I was considering their LSS model as weight was a factor on this build. As for my skill, time will tell. I used to think 300-500yd shots were "long" and very difficult. This forum and some "skilled" instructors are showing me otherwise. Let's just say this: I was told not to suck if I showed up with a fancy new tac-ti-cool rifle that I'd modded the hell out of BEFORE I'd even fired it. Much Like old testiment law reveals but does not remove sin, a decent action, barrel and glass in ANY of these chassis will clearly show what I'm doing all wrong. I hope only to improve and have fun. Not obsess about perfection, when the best shooters out there still call the really hard ones "lucky shots" ;p

MDT makes good stuff too. I almost feel bad for chassis makers who for what ever reason need to charge a grand or more, and expect those of us with the patience of a 5 yr just outside Dsneyland to wait weeks or months for a stock.... I was considering their LSS model as weight was a factor on this build. As for my skill, time will tell. I used to think 300-500yd shots were "long" and very difficult. This forum and some "skilled" instructors are showing me otherwise. Let's just say this: I was told not to suck if I showed up with a fancy new tac-ti-cool rifle that I'd modded the hell out of BEFORE I'd even fired it. Much Like old testiment law reveals but does not remove sin, a decent action, barrel and glass in ANY of these chassis will clearly show what I'm doing all wrong. I hope only to improve and have fun. Not obsess about perfection, when the best shooters out there still call the really hard ones "lucky shots" ;p
i just want to keep up with my little man. I am trying to learn as much as possible to create the best experience for him. I have learned the basic reload. thank God I am a little OCD and hand load everything. working on position. does not help I am just changed to first focal plane scope and have not had a lot of time behind my rifle. (work too much).

Since you are a "Lady" and its confirmed, I believe the direct opposite of 'Buddy" would be "Honey." Anyway, its nice to see a mother spend her time in the shooting sports, with her son. It would be nice if all mothers would do the same. In my experience most women complain about a firearm that a man chooses for her. Witch you should, considering ya'll have smaller hands and such. If I was you, I would take the recommendations on here and actually hold the chassis in your hand. That way it will be of your liking and you will not regret your choice. Also may I ask, what does your son shoot and how does his rifle feel to you? Oh, by the way, none of your questions are stupid and that comment about asking real people? Their just as easily could be a 15 year old boy from New York City that's never shot in his life on the other end of that key board. He may just read 5 different magazines a month from his local street news stand. Oh, never mine, New York City wouldn't be caught selling gun magazines. Oh well more for us.....

Since you are a "Lady" and its confirmed, I believe the direct opposite of 'Buddy" would be "Honey." Anyway, its nice to see a mother spend her time in the shooting sports, with her son. It would be nice if all mothers would do the same. In my experience most women complain about a firearm that a man chooses for her. Witch you should, considering ya'll have smaller hands and such. If I was you, I would take the recommendations on here and actually hold the chassis in your hand. That way it will be of your liking and you will not regret your choice. Also may I ask, what does your son shoot and how does his rifle feel to you? Oh, by the way, none of your questions are stupid and that comment about asking real people? Their just as easily could be a 15 year old boy from New York City that's never shot in his life on the other end of that key board. He may just read 5 different magazines a month from his local street news stand. Oh, never mine, New York City wouldn't be caught selling gun magazines. Oh well more for us.....
he shoots a 223 24" barrel 1:12 twist with 55 gr bullet. it matches my gun see pic
y5utetu4.jpg
my is on ground beside him.

I believe if I make 308 look cool he will take it out for a spin. it has low recoil with that low think he will enjoy it and "real people" meant you men you have rested and know. utube is advertising their products and make everything sound perfect. I need real world experience. I am tall with like the feel of a reg size stocks.

one more crazy question. when I bench shoot I receive an abrasion to interior aspect of my elbow. is my shooting position wrong? I do not "jump off" rifle.

one more crazy question. when I bench shoot I receive an abrasion to interior aspect of my elbow. is my shooting position wrong? I do not "jump off" rifle.

If your technique is good you may need some "moleskin" on your elblow area where its getting rubbed. Also consider having the bot shoot your rifle with something like Atomic Ammunition's Subsonic 175gr. to start out with.

If your technique is good you may need some "moleskin" on your elblow area where its getting rubbed. Also consider having the bot shoot your rifle with something like Atomic Ammunition's Subsonic 175gr. to start out with.
he has shoot my 308 but only will do it a few times. I will try the subsonic see if he likes it better. I am afraid he will not make it off 500 yards with his rifle he loves his rifle I think because it resembles mine. I built him a rock river 22" 1:12 twist full rail magpul adjustable stock but he always grabs the rem 223 when we go to range.

I asked him. He said because it is his. Guess his way of saying "I am spoiled want to have my own 308"

+1 on the mcree stock. I've been running one for about 6 months and its GTG. Its got tons of adjustment, adds a little weight which sounds like it would be good in your situation, and just plain feels right when it's shot. Something else to consider as far as caliber with your son. Is maybe go with something in the 6mm or 6.5mm range. I shoot a .260 rem and it costs the same to reload as my .308, has better ballistics, and has a milder recoil.

I'll second the XLR element....the ergonomics alone make it very versatile and you can basically start him short and stretch it out as he grows.
And Kyle is a great guy to work with.
I like the AICS and AX platforms as well but, for the money, it's hard to beat the XLR

Throw a hand towel on the bench for your elbow to rest on.

RMD

I have the same problem when shooting off a concrete bench top. I think what's basically happening is your hand is holding the rifle with you elbow resting on the bench. When the gun fires, it recoils backward and causes your elbow to scrape across the bench top. It's kinda like a carpet burn and can really hurt. As RMD suggested, just use a little towel or pad to lay under your elbow.

Thank you everyone. You have given me a lot of info.

I'm in the same place with you. I've been shocked how accurate my rem700 308 was out of the box. I'm not reloading yet, but with match ammo and that crap plastic stock I'm easy 1 hole at 100 with 5rd groups, 3.5" plates at 500 70% of the time (learning to read the win, I'm even inside the 8/9 ring at a grand. I just ordered a Mcree chassis, let you know if that helps (everything I've read it will)
Long story short, rem700 stock is good to go at a grand, just need solid hand loads (IMHO) and the ability to read the wind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a couple of design nitpicks, but overall really like the AI AX chassis for a Rem700. Look around and find a used one, as they are pricey. (I waited for a while, but it paid off)

Finding someone selling a package deal with mags, etc, is the best route. Save a ton as those little keymod rails are like $70 a piece!

I have a couple of design nitpicks, but overall really like the AI AX chassis for a Rem700. Look around and find a used one, as they are pricey. (I waited for a while, but it paid off)

Finding someone selling a package deal with mags, etc, is the best route. Save a ton as those little keymod rails are like $70 a piece!
What design nitpicks do you have on AI AX

From experience, the 168's for me went sub-sonic between 900 and 1000, and accuracy at 1K went right out the window. As was mentioned by david8989, the 175's solved that problem - that's what I shoot today - 175 SMK over 44.0 grains of Varget, which is a pretty standard load for 308 out to 1000 that generates good results.

AI chassis are popular among some of the competitive shooters. I like Ankratz' suggestion of picking one up previously enjoyed with mags, etc.

BTW, I notice from the picture that he's shooting off a bench - just curious (and don't mean to thread jack), have you and your son tried shooting prone off those bipods at distance?

From experience, the 168's for me went sub-sonic between 900 and 1000, and accuracy at 1K went right out the window. As was mentioned by david8989, the 175's solved that problem - that's what I shoot today - 175 SMK over 44.0 grains of Varget, which is a pretty standard load for 308 out to 1000 that generates good results.

AI chassis are popular among some of the competitive shooters. I like Ankratz' suggestion of picking one up previously enjoyed with mags, etc.

BTW, I notice from the picture that he's shooting off a bench - just curious (and don't mean to thread jack), have you and your son tried shooting prone off those bipods at distance?
We prefer prone. But hunting out of blind this year and have bench set up in blind. Don't worry not taking over 200 yard shot. But going to range he wants to shoot 1000. I am going to try 175 gr this week. Had to eliminate shooter based errors first. Thanks to a nice gentleman, I believe I have covered most of those issues.