• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700

ILhunter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a Rem 700 in 308 to get into target shooting. I plan to restock it and possibly silence it. For the detachable magazine, will that work with any 700 or is that a feature for certain models. My main question, is what is a good model to purchase. I was thinking the cheapest one since I plan to basically strip it down, or is this not the best idea. Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

Re: Rem 700

Mark,

I'll jump in and try to help, but there is no "right" answer. It's all a series of trade-offs. You can get into the SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical for relatively low $$. They feature 26" and 20" heavy barrels respectively.

<span style="font-style: italic">However</span>, both have 1 in 12" twist barrels that won't stabilize heavy bullets at subsonic velocities. Rem makes the tactical version with a 20" 1 in 10" barrel that's threaded from the factory. It's a nice compromize (most dedicated SS guns use an 8" twist) but substantially more expensive.

The 700 is a good platform to start and will outshoot most new shooters. There are lots of models so pick the one the suits you and have at it. There is a factory SPS with a detachable mag but if you are planning to change the stock then you have other options. One being to just buy a fairly cheap basic 700, buy someone's bottom metal (CDI, Williams, Badger, etc) and have the new stock inletted to fit the bottom metal.

The range that I'm looking at is around 300 yards, which isn't to long of a shot, but its what I can do right now. I would like to one day extend out to 1000 yards. At this range, what rate of twist would be recommended for this range? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The range that I'm looking at is around 300 yards, which isn't to long of a shot, but its what I can do right now. I would like to one day extend out to 1000 yards. At this range, what rate of twist would be recommended for this range? Thanks </div></div>

I would think you would want versatility...so go with a 1/10 twist. This way you have the option of loading the heavies if you ever decide to.
Another option for a stock is something like the Manners stock with detachable mag system. This is a "drop in" system with no inletting needed. Bang for you buck includes a darn good stock and detachable mag system that was designed by Badger ord.

I believe Remington makes a 700 5r in 20" threaded in ss that might be a great starter. You wouldn't have to put much money into it. You have to look for it online because it is not listed by rem. as a regular production item. Only certain distributers will have it. If I hadn't already purchase a Rem 700 AAC-SD, this would have been my first choice.

I'm in the same boat, but I simply don't have the means right now of buying anything custom. And as a newbie like myself who hasn't ever shot out past 200 yards... I'm going with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

It'll suit my needs for the hunting season and allow me to start dabbling in some long range shooting, as well. And at the price point these rifles start at, it's a great platform for beginner's like us that won't break the bank.
smile.gif

Good luck to you!

The rifle you have linked to is a sporter weight barrel.

IF you plan on rebarreling, this is not a bad choice.

If you wish to buy a rifle and start getting work done on it right away, you can buy an ADL (blind mag model) from wally world/academy/dicks for about 350. This would be my recommendation if you wish to go that route.

However, if you wish to piece it together over time I would suggest starting with a BDL type floorplate and a varmint weight barrel.

You need to decide right if you want a standard configured stock or a pistol grip or thumbhole stock.

The reason I say this is because I purchased a 5R, a very fine shooting rifle in a very good factory stock. I decided that I wanted to upgrade to a DBM (which you have also). I started looking around and found that when you factor in price and paying for the inlet, I was more than halfway to an XLR chassis.
I ended up ordering one. Long story short, If I would have ordered an SPS tactical 1-12 or sps varmint, I would have saved nearly 400 bucks.
Of course I ended up with a stainless action and a very good (for factory) tube that is very easy to clean.

Don't be afraid of the 1-12" twist, it will stabilize the 175 SMKs just fine, it MIGHT be a little dicey with the 208's.

This, to me, is probably your best bet, it is threaded and has the faster 1-10 twist rate.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69321

Mkae your decision on your stock. B&C makes a couple of really good choices. One is the light tactical, the other is the M40 style. Both can be inlet for DBM.
When you start looking at manners, you are talking 900 plus if you go with the mini-chassis.

Hopefully, I'm not derailing here as I'm essentially in the same boat as the OP... but what would be the different in the link to the Rem 700 posted above and this one?

I only ask because I have seen the latter at my local Gander Mountain for a comparable price. But judging from the information, I'm not certain I can see the difference. Is the latter a blind mag model versus the BDL?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/42070

I have a Remington 5R and love it. I recently replaced the factory stock with a AICS and it has greatly improved the accuracy of the gun. No other changes to it other than that. I added a Vortex Razor to it recently and have been able to strench its legs out to 800 yards so far. I guess waht I am saying is that for the 5R being a factory gun it really has impressed me alot!

Thanks for the replies. Im thinking either a thumb hole stock or pistol grip stock. Does anyone know how thick the AICS folder is when folded? Thank you.

I was wondering if the 700 AAC has a detectable magazine, or if it can be converted to DBM? Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. Im thinking either a thumb hole stock or pistol grip stock. Does anyone know how thick the AICS folder is when folded? Thank you. </div></div>

go to www.milehighshooting.com

their a sponcer they have the measurements on their sight i believe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. Im thinking either a thumb hole stock or pistol grip stock. Does anyone know how thick the AICS folder is when folded? Thank you. </div></div>

go to www.milehighshooting.com

their a sponcer they have the measurements on their sight i believe </div></div>

About 4.125".

I was going to buy an sps tactical at dicks. But I found a good deal on a used 700 police with some work already done instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe Remington makes a 700 5r in 20" threaded in ss that might be a great starter. You wouldn't have to put much money into it. You have to look for it online because it is not listed by rem. as a regular production item. Only certain distributers will have it. If I hadn't already purchase a Rem 700 AAC-SD, this would have been my first choice. </div></div>
As far as I know the 5r is a 24" barrel and has a 1-11.25 twist suited to 175gn projectiles. If you want a 1-10 twist the older model police don't know when they changed we're 1-10 twist and would make a good cheap starter I would look at a 5r or police as the factory stocks are pretty good IMO and can be upgrades easily with somthing like a Karsten cheek piece and an adjustable butt plate they have the bedding block so just need a skim bed so their a good base heavy barrel platform and can be more then accurate for what you want with just a little work as for DBMS as far as I know Remington DBMS only take Remington mags so I'd look at the ai mags and get that fitted. Hope this helps and should get you started pretty cheaply.

The 5R is available in a 20" threaded version.
The 1-11.25" twist would most likely stabilize the 208's.
Besides, the 175 is probably one of the most usefull bullet weights for the .308

just an idea
rem 700 sps v adl
choate tactical stock with bedding block cut for badger M5
Badger M5
Good base, rings and optic