• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

rem 7005r

El suave

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
tx
Does anyone here own a 7005r are they as accurate as they say out of the box

Re: rem 7005r

Since this is your first post, I'll give you some friendly advice.
On the right side of the page, a couple of panels below the shout box is the custom search engine.

There are many threads on the subject.

But to answer your question, yes.

I have been fairly pleased with the 20" barrel 5r so far. I have not put too many rounds through it yet but the accuracy as been pretty good (to me). 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 are the norm so far. That is all I have been able to shoot with it yet. I imagine it would be better with a load tailored to the rifle.

Like fdkay said run a search and you will find plenty of posts on this rifle. My 24" was very accurate out of the box.

It's more accurate than I am. Seems to be one of the most accurate out of the box rifles out there.

I love mine. This was at 200 yards.
cOEXI.jpg

It not being near the bulls-eye was operator error! haha

Here is the deal. Some will be really accurate and some will be average. Some ight be flat ass horible. These are production rifles with very little quality control. Let me word that a little better. The folks making these barrels, are hourly help and they most certainly dont bore scope every barrel to check for defects. These barrels are hamer forged, and if you ever looked inside one with a Hawkeye bore scope you would shit yourself. They are what they are and thats nothing more than a crap shoot. Now this isnt just remington. Savage is the same thing. I know several guys who have gone through 10 different savage barrels just to find one that would shoot up to par.
I have owned lots of reington 700 rifles, and like i say, some are good some are bad some are excellent, but most are average 3/4" barrels at 100 yards 3 shots.
I personaly wouldnt spend a grand on one. I would buy an action and then have a real barrel put on it. Good luck, Lee

There hasn't been one yet that I haven't heard of or seen that would not shoot.Many here have great shooters and I have three of them.Me mine is a 24 incher and love it.I just helped my boy get his first in a 308 and he loves his.Now I will add that the newer triggers are a pice of *^&%.But an up grade there will cure it.I have just fixed two of my ^&^^ triggers by buying older Remington triggers to replace the &*&& ones.

If you reload working a load is fun and easy because lots of use have already done the work for ya.Now you will have to adjust one of our loads for YOUR RIFEL but it should not be much.Just pick one and run with it.If your not a reloader then go with FGMM ammo and run with it you will be happy.

Many will say this and many say that but it's al good.For me I have three of them ine in each cal they offer and I wouldn't look back on either one I have bought.

The 5R barrel is not your average barrel.
My 5R does not copper at all.
It cleans much easier than any other factory tube I have.

My 5R was a .5 moa gun from the box

I have a 24" 5R and have been really happy with it for a factory gun. With handloads it is a consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA gun. It does clean up very easy and I like the barrel length for a gun I will carry a lot.

I've sunk some money into it though; CDI bottom metal and stock inletting was around $225, a Timney 510 trigger was $125 (I liked the factory trigger before it went tits up on me in the middle of a match), I spent over $120 on six different colors of Duracoat (I got a little creative on the stock, so much for a "cheap" DIY project").

I have one, 300WM with the 24" barrel. I was not impressed with this Remington. I had extraction issues with fired rounds (polishing the chamber fixed that) and my groupings that is another issue, bottom line, the gun still needs more work. I have a safe full of other Remington’s; this will be my last one. If had to do it all over again, get the action you want, and then have a quality barrel installed. To me I cannot justify the cost for what I am getting. A few years ago I picked up a SPS tactical for $500.00 replace the stock with a 700P take off stock for $200.00 and this rifle outshoots the 5R by a wide margin. If you decide to buy one carefully inspect the rifle for possible indicator of trouble, such as barrel not centered in stock or touching the stock, take a look at the bolt to see what kind of contact the lugs have, the one I have only one lug makes contact. There is only so much you can do with a visual inspection. Some 5R’s have been great right out of the box. It is just a big disappointment when a new purchase does not perform.

alexander66

As many above have said, it's simply a matter of chance... All factory rifles are this way. If you want a guarantee you are going to have to move up to a higher price bracket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As many above have said, it's simply a matter of chance... All factory rifles are this way. If you want a guarantee you are going to have to move up to a higher price bracket. </div></div>

No one posting in this thread who claimed to have one said they got a bad one. If this is what you call chance I better buy a few lottery tickets.

I own a 24" 5R and it shoots 3/4" to 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory ammo and it does much better with my handloads.

So are the 5R barrels made differently than the rest of remingtons barrels? Maybe, but i highly doubt it. Lee

Remington QC is hit or miss at best. That said, I have had a good experience to date with the 5R 308 Win. Don't even ask about the last SPS Tactical I bought. Biggest POS I ever got. Remington never made it right and I ended up just using the action for a custom build. That was one helluva expensive action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As many above have said, it's simply a matter of chance... All factory rifles are this way. If you want a guarantee you are going to have to move up to a higher price bracket. </div></div>

No one posting in this thread who claimed to have one said they got a bad one. If this is what you call chance I better buy a few lottery tickets.

I own a 24" 5R and it shoots 3/4" to 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory ammo and it does much better with my handloads.</div></div>

So of course just before I pressed the Submit button people start to post that they had bad 5R milspec rifle experiences. But I think for the most part the Remington 5R milspec seems to be slightly better overall than the more recent production standard Remington 700 rifles. The old Remington 700 BDL heavy barreled Varmint I bought new 40 years ago easily matched my three year old 5R's performance. Anyway I've only owned one 5R and it's a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So are the 5R barrels made differently than the rest of remingtons barrels? Maybe, but i highly doubt it. Lee </div></div>

It's a different mandrel in the same process. Did the ONE I owned shoot any better than other (.308) factory Rems in house? VS, shortened VS, LTR? Nothing to note other than it was more tolerant of being bore cleaned and shot initial clean bore more consistent to seasoned POI. Averaged groups were not anything special, a shortened 22" VS usually won at that time in short range to make comparisons.

To the OP;
It's a fine factory rifle IMO. Initial and resale value is high, 24" length in original form and the 700PSS or PS went to 26". When you come across reads that state chamber and throat differences to specialized performance; that's BS.

The one I shot, shot very well I thought. My buddy purchased one in 308 24"and I got a chance to run it. At the time he had plain old remington corelocks and I shot between a half and quarter moa five shot group with it. With corelocks!!! I would have lost that bet, but I was very surprised. I tell new people on here over and over that I would not be scared to own one myself but like others have posted it is a factory built rifle. I would expect some to shoot a little better that others but I would expect them all to shoot pretty good for a factory rifle. That is the 308s, I have no first hand knowlage on the other cal available.
Now on the other hand if it is a option I like the idea of purchasing a action then having barreled if you can afford it. This will give you the best accuracy if you can be consistant in it's operation.
good luck, welcome to the hide.

I have a 'new' 5r in 223. 24". Its about to become 23". It came with a rough chamber. It went back to Remington and came back with a bit smoother chamber. Still scratches brass.
Its at a smith now to be rechambered.
The rifle did shoot well printing target rifle like groups at 200. Picky, though. None of the brass was worth keeping.
I have been thru enough store bought rifles to second 'its a crap shoot' with production rifles.