• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700P 223 Performance **UPDATED**

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
I picked up a Rem 700P 223, trying to find a factory load that will shoot well, I was surprised to see Federal GMM 69gr not do well at all 2" groupings @ 100yds, I also tried Federal American eagle Polymer Tipped Boat Tail 50gr Varmint, results where better than the GMM about 1" avg.

Any recommendations on factory loaded stuff ?

Re: Rem 700P 223 Performance

Should have a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Doug308,
I feel your pain. I bought one back right after the first of the year. The best groups that I have gotten so far have been from Hornady 53gr V-Max Superformance ammo. They averaged 3/4" 5 shot groups @100yds. I'm still not happy with that. These rifles should do better. They may not shoot as good for you as they did for me. Every gun is different.

Is there any particular weight you'd like to shoot?

The Winchester Supreme stuff normally does pretty well. Spendy tho.

I've also had good luck with the Winchester USA stuff (not FMJ).

Neither of those come with heavy bullets. What do you plan on doing with the gun?

Your best bet is to start your own little ammo factory.

I have not shot their .223 but all the other corbon performance match ammo have been very good.

1-9 twist

I don't care what the bullit weight is, it's for range work, I'm hoping to discover a load that will perform, the range I go to does a competition and am looking forward to participate. At this point, I don't think I can use this rifle.

edit to add -- I'm not able to get a reloading system in place, at the present time, so factory ammo is my only choice.

My R700PSS in .223 is a 1:9 twist and doesn't like shooting anything above 55 gr. When I started out, I shot 69 gr SMK's into 2 MOA...on a good day. I was really frustrated and disappointed. I really wanted a rifle that could shoot at least 69 gr or more...but each rifle is a little different...

Try 52 gr SMK's. Shrinks my groups to about .75 to .5 MOA depending on how I'm shooting that day. Once I found the right load, I went from despising that rifle, to it being one of my favorites.

Since you don't reload, you can buy some off the shelf. I think Black Hills makes a 52 gr SMK match round. I'm sure a quick Google search would give you some places to order from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edit to add -- I'm not able to get a reloading system in place, at the present time, so factory ammo is my only choice.</div></div>

why can't you reload?
Fear?
Laziness?
Ignorance of the process?

I don't mean any of those in a negative way, seriously. Just curious why you say you aren't able?

I put it off for many years and recently bought a kit, some powder, primers, and bullets from walmart...and started making some .45acp rounds. I gotta say....I feel stupid for not doing it much much sooner...it's a LOT of fun to take YOUR ammo out and shoot, and much cheaper to boot!

I have .223 dies and components on the way....and can't wait to stop depending on walmart to have my ammo in stock!

I find it really odd when I see any rifle that won't shoot SMKs well. I'm not saying that all of the rifles that I've shot would shoot SMKs the best, but they all (usually) did pretty well, with SMKs.

If the 69s won't shoot right, maybe you should have the rifle checked out. Maybe there's something going on with the throat. A Remy 700 shooting 69gr SMKs into 2" at 100 yards is rediculous.

In any case, you can trying going lighter. To the 50 something grain bullets or try some loaded with the offerings from Hornady and see if things tighten up.

I had a bench rest friend who told me to try different torque values on the front action screw. Torque it to factory specs and then back it off a quart turn or by 1 in pound if you have a torque wrench.

Regards

I found copper in my new 24" 5r 223.
It may have comw from one of my sight in loads, fact. Rem. ball.
The rounds were 3"@100. Cleaned it and it did not take much. 69gr. Sierra's now .3@ 100. 80 rds downrange to date, barrel stays copper free. 9 twist.

Today I tried Hornady Steel match 75gr, best was 1-1/2"

I just cleaned the barrel real good, some copper came out but nothing excessive. I first used Shooters choice, a little copper,then patched it out with Sweets, little more copper.

At this point I'm guessing I got the Monday build.

I was about to recomend Hornady 75gr. TAP then saw you allready tried the steel match. Maybe send it back and have Remington check it out cause it should be a shooter. I load 55 gr.Nosler BT's, 69 gr. Sierra's and 75 gr. Hornady's for mine and it will cluster them tight always.

My 5R shoots submoa hand loads in 69 and 77 SMK's. Montgomery627, .75 5 shot group with factory gun and factory ammo is good. You want better, buy better. SMK' s are the gold standard, and those factory loaded Vmax are pretty sweet too.

IMHO, the couple of 700p barrels I've seen were pretty rough. A little more shooting & cleaning and you may see it tighten up. May want to hit it with some JB paste to smooth it out some. Big +1 for the Black Hills ammo. IMO, the blue box stuff is a pretty good value. Good luck with it.

Thumbs up with working some JB paste down the bore. I recall a 700P in .300WM about 10 yrs ago that went from 1 1/2" groups to 3/4" after working some JB compound thru it. Worth a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.davidtubb.com/223-ff-ammo

Use that.

If you want I'll load you up some 77 smk ammo. </div></div>

I would be willing to try the Tubb system if you think it's worth it.

Let me try a few other factory loads, then I may take you up on your offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has the H&S stock been bedded? Are your actions screws torqued correctly. </div></div>

Not bedded, action screws are torqued to 65 inch lbs using a professional dial type torque wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, the couple of 700p barrels I've seen were pretty rough. A little more shooting & cleaning and you may see it tighten up. May want to hit it with some JB paste to smooth it out some. Big +1 for the Black Hills ammo. IMO, the blue box stuff is a pretty good value. Good luck with it. </div></div>

I do have some JB paste, so I will try that first, it's very mild abrasive, so can't hurt much.

If needed, who can I send this rifle to for a reciever truing and barrel properly headspaced at a reasonable cost ?

I'm not dealing with Remington, been down that road before, they will just state it shoots to their specs.

I don't think you should send th Tubbs firelapping bullets through it.

I do think you should give Remington a chance to fix it though. If they return it to you and say its good to go but it isn't - then rebarrel it.

Sorry to hear it, man. I wouldn't waste a bunch of time/ammo/money on it. My experience is it either shoots or it doesn't.

Try lighter weight ammo first before spending more money, you might be surprised. Bet it tightens up to where you'd expect the accuracy to be.

I just got back from the range, very nice day for shooting, no wind at all. rifle was double checked, all screws tight to spec, barrel cleaned very well. Leupold Mark4 4.5-14X50, Burris Tactical 2 piece base, PRI rings, trigger set at 3 lbs.

I'm guessing barrel, headspace maybe too long or just a bad barrel.

........or am I expecting to much ?

002461.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from the range, very nice day for shooting, no wind at all. rifle was double checked, all screws tight to spec, barrel cleaned very well. Leupold Mark4 4.5-14X50, Burris Tactical 2 piece base, PRI rings, trigger set at 3 lbs.

I'm guessing barrel, headspace maybe too long or just a bad barrel.

........or am I expecting to much ?

002461.JPG
</div></div>

Stop cleaning it! Mine shoots great dirty. I shot 75 great, it shoots 55s great but you could be doing damage trying to clean it. Also, try reloading, and run a OAL gauge through it.

Other than the one flier, the Hornady 75gr Steel Match looks the most consistent group to me...

Offer still stands.

Still believe you should use the tubbs system. At this point what do you have to lose.

Not to mention, you need to bed that rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Offer still stands.

Still believe you should use the tubbs system. At this point what do you have to lose.

Not to mention, you need to bed that rifle. </div></div>

Okay, next in line is the Tubb System, what the hell it will be a good test.