• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 722 bolt handle came off... TIG weld back on?

Dirknar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2006
Spokane WA
DSC_1454.jpg

DSC_14532.jpg

I inherited a 1952 Rem 722 in .300 savage that had been re-chambered for .308win. I cleaned the bore and chamber a little bit and about an hour ago I tried to chamber a round.. It was going fine then when the bolt was almost completely closed, the bolt/cartridge got pretty tight and I (stupidly) continued to close the bolt. It was completely stuck at this point. I couldn't get the bolt to open to save my life so I had no choice but to proceed to beat it open with a mallet. well the bolt handle bent up and the silver soldier let loose in the front and the bolt handle was bent upwards and the bolt still wouldnt move all the way around, so then a few more whacks and the bolt handle came completely off and then I had to turn the bolt another "hair" to get it to slide out..

So I got the bolt out and then cartridge out by beating an old cleaning rod against the stuck cartridge.

so after all my stupidity.. after I straighten the bolt handle back on, can I TIG weld the handle to the bolt body or does it have to be silver soldiered again??

I use to be a great tig welder and I have access to a really nice machine. Oh yeah this bolt handle is not cast..

Re: Rem 722 bolt handle came off... TIG weld back on?

There are some threads in this gunsmithing section about tig welding. Sorry but I can't link to them.
Short story is there are a number of issues-- especially 'bolt timing' -- that make it best to send your bolt and handle to one of the pros that does tig welding. Since you bent the handle you may need a new one, too.
Another question, though, is why the difficulty with chambering.

I talked with a buddy last night that has a micro oxy/acc torch and we're just going to silver soldier it back on. after I straightn the bolt back up.. I can place it in the exact spot
that it was before.

As far as why it got stuck?? maybe there is some rust in the chamber? It was a reload that had been FL sized and trimmed. It was a 175gr bullet that was set to mag length.. maybe thats why?? the brass was really rough all over the body of the brass when I finally got it out.

If your needing that tig welded back on let me know i can get that done for you.

Ouch! If this ever happens again, give me a shout and I'll pull the barrel for you. That's usually thr best way to get one loose. If the chamber is that rough you may need a new barrel. LMK, I may have one around here that will wouk for you.