• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem LTR vs Rem XCR tactical vs Rem model 7 KS

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Having a tough time deciding but I've narrowed my next lightweight carry rifle down to these three listed.
All Remingtons
All 308/7.62
All 20 inch barrels

The Remington Mod7 Custom shop KS is lightweight , Kevlar stocked , smooth and light.
The LTR and XCR tactical have minor differences not sure what besides the trigger and finish.

I want accuracy then light weight. I love all three but can only afford ONE.

What would you pick and why!???

Re: Rem LTR vs Rem XCR tactical vs Rem model 7 KS

I had a Model 7 back in the day. It was a fantastic little hunting/carry rifle when topped with a light 3-9x Swarovski. It was very accurate, but I never fired more than 5 rounds in a sitting with that uber-thin barrel. Be wary that drilling/tapping for mounts is different for that of a 700.

I also had an LTR in .223. Obviously heavier than the 7, but still a reasonably weighted rifle. Very accurate.

Both were fine rifles.

That rem7 is light.

the only one of the three that I have is the LTR but I will say I can not speak its praises enough.

Isn't the XCR and LTR basically the same rifle!???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the XCR and LTR basically the same rifle!??? </div></div>

Aaah NO.

LTR, 20" Barrel, H-S Precision stock, Mk X Pro Trigger, parkerized CM Barrel and action

XCR Compact, 20" barrel, B&C Stock, 40X Trigger, TiN Coated Stainless Steel barrel and action.

They do look similar though.......

Go with the LTR or XCR depending on which you can get the better deal on. I wouldn't put the model 7 in the same class even if it came from the custom shop.

Carry rifle? Carry where? Is this for a hunting rifle or tactical precision rifle? The Model 7 KS is a hunting mountain rifle, not a tactical precision rifle. Good for backpacking up a mountain to shoot goats. For a light weight tactical range gun the LTR is probably your ticket.

Hunting rifle. Walking hills and valleys in the woods. Upper P Michigan hunting....

ounces is pounds. Pounds is pain. If it is primarily a hunting rifle, go with the KS. You will be happier after a day of walking those hills

My "go to" hunting rifle is a Model 7 in 7MM08. It has never failed me. The light weight and short barrel make it the perfect white tail hunting rifle.

Have you given any thought to the Rem 5R, I understant you can get one in a 20" barrel now.

20'inch 5R?!!!! I never knew

Is this your first hunting rifle? If so you are barking up the wrong tree looking at 2 fluted bull barrel tactical rifles and 1 custom shop rifle.

If you want a nice light Model 7 in 308 buy a Model 7 synthetic and order a McMillan stock of your choice (Mtn Rifle, Hunter's Edge, Mtn KS) and rock out. They have a pencil barrel so groups wander afer 3 shots. It isn't a range rifle.

If you want a 700 look at any of the 100 hunting rifle variations they sell with sporter contour or mountain rifle contour. Buy a cheap synthetic SPS version and order a McMillan stock of your choice (Mtn Rifle, Hunter's Edge, Mtn KS) and rock out. Again, these aren't range rifles.

The LTR isn't a hunting stock with that wide forearm unless you are comfortable shooting that kind of stock off hand.

The XCR tac stock looks better suided (from what I can see) but I can't say that the rifle is a value and that you couldn't pimp out a cheap SPS with better accessories (trigger and stock) for cheaper and up up with a nicer rifle.

YMMV

I have an LTR it's basically a 700P with a cutdown barrel. So lighter but not as light as a comparable hunting rifle.

If you want a lightweight hunting rifle there are many better options out there.