• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem. Model 7

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Who here has a remington model 7? How do you like it? Does the light weight and thin barrel affect accuracy??

Re: Rem. Model 7

I have hunted deer and antelope with my Model 7 in 7mm08 for about 20 years now. My son has its twin. Both are lightweight, easy handling and plenty accurate for hunting. Both of ours (one SS and one blue) will put three shots in under an inch at 100. We both took antelope with them at over 250 yards.
As with all small contour barrels, get them hot and they will begin to wander. But the M7 is a one to two shot hunting rifle and fit that bill nicely.

I got my 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Model 7 and it does fine.I bought it as a youth 243 and used the action.

I had a .223 for a while. It was a great shooter and super handy. Like Shoot4fun said when it got hot the groups would open up.

I have owned 2 of them over the past 20 years. They were the wood-stocked 18 1/2" barrel versions both in 7mm-08. They both would shoot under an inch at 100 with handloads.

I've been wanting to get a model 7 predator in .223 lately. The 2010 models have a 1/9" twist with a magnum contour barrel.

However, I'm having a little bit of hesitation b/c of 2 factors:

1. It's going to be about $685 for the rifle that comes with a crappy plastic stock and the only thing extra over a regular sps is the camo dip and magnum contour fluted barrel.

2. Remington's spotty quality control as of late. I don't want to drop nearly $700 on a rifle that won't shoot well.

I do remember reading somewhere that Kenny Jarrett gave reasons for why he did not like the model 7 action. I'm not sure if it was from a strength standpoint or what.

Personally, I like the small action, but it does limit you in options.

I'm still undecided!

I've got a .260 with the black stock and SS barreled action that I bought back in the early 90's. I love it as it is small and light weight. Accuracy is so so but within 300 yards a deer is no problem.

Have one in .308 that is the "go to" rifle for pretty much anything off the gun range. When a shot or two is all you need, there's no need for some bull-barreled monster on your back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have one in .308 that is the "go to" rifle for pretty much anything off the gun range. When a shot or two is all you need, there's no need for some bull-barreled monster on your back. </div></div>
I could not agree more! I bought one 20 years back, rem custom shop in 7BR, a funny little round, that has a remarkable ability to make very small groups, out to 300, coyote/white tail/etc. It's on a kevlar stock (rem) so light it feels like a daisy bb gun. Remember, the XP100's? that's your mod 7 in other clothes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have one in .308 that is the "go to" rifle for pretty much anything off the gun range. When a shot or two is all you need, there's no need for some bull-barreled monster on your back. </div></div>
I could not agree more! I bought one 20 years back, rem custom shop in 7BR, a funny little round, that has a remarkable ability to make very small groups, out to 300, coyote/white tail/etc. It's on a kevlar stock (rem) so light it feels like a daisy bb gun. Remember, the XP100's? that's your mod 7 in other clothes. </div></div>

Actually the old xp100's were based on a model 600/660, with slight modifications. The newest variant of the xp line, model xr100 rangemaster (which I own 2 of) , uses a receiver dimensional identical to the model 7 ,but with a solid bottomed single shot action. Comparing the model 7 to an xp100 or xr100 is just not justice. The xr and xp actions are way more solid than a model 7 design. A model 7 receiver, due to its shorter receiver design, is more flimsy than a model 700 repeater. It's a fine rifle, but for the price just go and get the equivalent model 700.

I had one in .243 with the laminated stock. It was butt-heavy as all-get-out, and I hated it, even though it shot pretty close to MOA with cheap wallyworld ammo. JMO

My daughter shoots one in .243. It is short, light and handy. With handloads it shoots an honest 3/4 moa consistently. It will string vertically with rapid fire. If I shoot it slow no issues but it will heat up with 8-10 quick shots. As a sweet little hunting rifle it is very nice. It is maybe an 10 yr old model. The cheap synthetic stock has weathered well. Somewhere in the future I am going to put it in a Manners or Mcmillan carbon stock and put a 3 contour custom barrel on it. Its a gun I will never sell because she shot her first deer with it and it has added up to a truck load of deer for my children over the years.

i loved my 7mm-08 for the weight and handiness, but it didn't shoot for hell, I traded it to a buddy and he did all sorts of stuff to it to try to get it to work and then he eventually sold it.

I would buy another one, since I love short light handy hunting rigs, and I would like something ballistically more efficient than my 30-30, 32 Win special, and 35 remington leverguns for when I'm not hunting the bush. But I'll probably go for a kimber or a winchester featherweight first.

Here's my Model 7 in 22-250. It's about 10 years old or so now, but I love it. Shoots very well for what it is, all stock with a Rifle Basix trigger and 4x12x50 Leopold. It's taken many groundhogs and is a good rifle for long walks since it's so light.

102_0046.jpg