• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem sps 700 tactical Quality or Crap?

Re: Rem sps 700 tactical Quality or Crap?

For what it costs its quality. If you want to build on it you have a good start. I put a b@c stock and a timney trigger in mine, and the accuracy was very surprising. They can be made to shoot very well, for a nominal cost.

For an out of the box rifle it is a very good value. It makes for a pretty good start point and a great project gun. The stock is a POS for a lot of people. The barrel is pretty good for a mass production rifle. You can do whatever you want with it.

Great point, you can pick one up new for around $550 new, remington only gurantees 2 moa, but I have yet to find one that couldn't hold 1 moa. Great way to get shooting right away with a good gun and upgrade it as you want.

Yeah, I think I've got about $2500 in mine, including the cost of the rifle. I'm pretty much done, although I may get a can for it.

Im using an SPS 20" tactical .308 at the moment, in a McMillan A5, NXS 20MOA rail, ST10 optics, Atlas bipod, FTE brake and bolt knob, trigger worked and action trued. It's a great rifle for a basic action and stock trigger.

I'd say get one, have the trigger lightened, change stocks, good optics, shoot it till it's nearly dead then rebarrel it with something a bit longer.

Forgot to mention the trigger. At the least get an old 700 trigger and have it tuned/adjusted.

2 MOA ??? Trigger???

I did replace my stock with a HS Precision PT025... but mine CAME WITH the X-mark trigger.....

2 MOA..... its around 1/2 MOA with 175 black hills.... and would do better once I get used to it...

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA)

I've shot MANY off the shelf Remys because I've been too poor to own customs. All but 1 wouldnt hold under minute.

And about 3 of them were SPS's. Every SPS I've shot, shot half MOA I kid you not.
My friends LTR shoots clover leafs all day. Best buy he ever made was that rifle!

That is all with hand loads though. I havent fired a factory round in 13 years and neither have the guys I shoot with.

Yes, the trigger. Mine broke, and I know of at least one other that broke. The X Mark Pro is not known for being a durable high mileage trigger.
As for the 2 MOA, that just means that as long as the rifle meets 2 MOA it is deemed acceptable by the company. It doesn't mean that it won't do better. I've never seen one shoot 2 MOA, and most shoot around 1 MOA that I've seen if shot properly. After some work they are even better.

Bargain for the money. That being said, if you decide that you want to upgrades, they add up in a hurry, and you can usually find a nice used custom in the for sale forum that will save you some money in the long run.

762slinger said:
For an out of the box rifle it is a very good value. It makes for a pretty good start point and a great project gun. The stock is a POS for a lot of people. The barrel is pretty good for a mass production rifle. You can do whatever you want with it. [/quote

I 2nd that !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And about 3 of them were SPS's. Every SPS I've shot, shot half MOA I kid you not.
My friends LTR shoots clover leafs all day. Best buy he ever made was that rifle!

That is all with hand loads though.
</div></div>

Hey AZ,

I've had the same experience with the LTR - I bought one last year and am shocked that it routinely puts those cheap Ultramax remanufactured rounds (52gr HP) into nice tight clusters at 100 yards. The other day I thought I had some fliers until I realized that three out of six shots went through the same hole...

I don't know about the SPS, but they look pretty nice - certainly seem to have a better build quality than my LTR does, but they probably aren't going to deliver the same accuracy (in general) out of the box.

Cheers,

Russ

great for the money, I own one in .308 and will be picking up one in .223 very soon. I will probably change out the stock for a AICS 2.0.

For the 100 rounds I shot mine, it shot great. After 100 rounds though I got it rebarreled with a 700P barrel and it's since done even better.

Handloads produce around twice as good as FGMM most days.

handloads, nuff said, mine cost AUS$1200, and shoots better, much better than my mates $3000 sako, yeah yeah i load target ammo, he loads deer ammo, but his doesnt hold a candle light to mine, that makes me happy...........

makes him sad
smile.gif

great rifle, junk stock that does alright for what it is, as mentioned previously.

(^my opinion^)

cheers guys

jimi

I have a SPS Tactical but have a old style R700 trigger on it at 2.5lbs, a HS Police stock, TacOps bolt knob and its awesome. Hopefully getting a NXS for it in a few weeks and that should improve on the Bushnell 5-15x40 I have on it. They are really good shooting rifles, I mainly run 155gr ammo in mine and it shoots sub moa all day. I have got a 0.186MOA 3 shot group with it at 100m before. Did that a few weeks ago. Havent been able to shoot since though. Ive taken it out to 900m and it goes well. I am however going to rebarrel to a 24" 1-10" Kreiger when I get around to it. I'd like the extra velocity.

Have two, one in 223 and one in 308. No complaints with either. Both, however, will only hold groups in the .6's and .7's on an average day. I'd love to see all these consistent 1/2 moa factory rifles perform though...
wink.gif

What ammo are you running?? Try a few different match loads. Also, what stock do you have?? try using a dremel and cleaning up the forend of the stock in the barrel channel and stop it touching the barrel when a bipod is used. That should help.

The Tactical is just the same as every other 700 action on the market, it's just funneled off the line and given a "tacticool" coating. The barrel is the same mass produced barrel, contours vary but the process doesn't change. Some factory barrels shoot the shit outta stuff, some just shoot like shit.

Short Action Customs has a good deal going to greatly improve the Tactical for us, he goes by US Hand Gunner on here I think.

Probably the best thing to do is keep your eyes open for a 5R Milspec if you want a Rem 700 to work from. One of the best factory barrels on the market, a top notch stock (Remington has HS Precision make them as a factory offering), and you can get them without the Xmark trigger on them.

If you start with a Tactical and replace the stock you add $225-$500 easily, change the trigger or have it adjusted you're in for an easy $75-$175 more, you can see it add up quickly. That $550-600 rifle is already pushing $1000

I have a 5r Milspec coming in very shortly as part of a trade package. It's a RH action and I am a lefty, so I don't have much interest in a RH rifle. If you're interested send me a PM, I'll make you a good deal and include some new Win brass for you to work from if you're a reloader.

I might be interested in that. PM sent Bohem.

Your logic is sound as I have upgraded my SPS .308 to where I can easily see the soundness of going right to the better stock, barrel and trigger right from the start. While mine was a good shooter from the start, even with the crappy ventlated plastic stock, it has improved since replacing the stock with a skim bedded B&C medalist and the installation of a Rifle Basix trigger.

Pretty consistant 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle.

I have a beautiful Kreiger 18V sitting in the safe waiting for it's indecisive owner to settle on a barrel length before going to the smith to replace the stock SPS barrel.

I have well over 8500 rounds through this rifle and it still shoots very well so I'm not in too big a rush!

feesix- Welcome to the 'Hide.

Quick thread hijack:

QQ- Replied.

To anyone else interested, I wasn't clear.

The 5R that I have is used, but it has under 20 rounds through it. The previous owner is a lefty who wanted a long action, this was part of the trade for a semi-custom long action I had for sale.

I'm looking to recoup the $925 left on my end. For an interested 'Hide member I'll ship/insure it CONUS for that. If you think that's unreasonable, send me a realistic offer and I'll consider it.

I don't have it in hand yet. I will post my own pictures of it when I have it.

Hijack over, any questions please send me a PM and I'll respond to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and most shoot around 1 MOA that I've seen if shot properly. After some work they are even better. </div></div>

Theyre a good starting point. I bedded mine into a takeoff 5R stock and running GA Arms 168gr I've managed a best of slightly over 1 minute 5-shot group.

I have an SPS Tac in .223 that I put in a choate tactical stock.

It shoots the Winchester 69 grain Ranger match loads VERY well, same with the Hornady 55 grain SP.
Some days it will shoot the 75 grain TAP .223 load really well, other days not so much and it really hated the Prvi 69 grain load.

I will say this, it is finicky and by all the accounts I have seen, the .308's tend to be better shooters.
Many of the .223's had problems with oversized extractors and other various QC issues.

Shortly after I bought the rifle, Savage released the 10PC, I wish I would have gone that route instead.