• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem SPS stock upgrade

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Little while back I bought a Rem SPS tactical in .308 for a pickup gun. All my other rifles custom and factory are longer and heavier so I wanted something short,light and handy for some hunting and just to have a shooter that will take a little bit of abuse. THe gun seems to be real accurate how it is but the stock feels cheap and doesn't really feel solid on longer shots. I kindof like the mushy feel of it for hunting or something and it feels like it is a very light stock. So, what I'm wanting to know is what other stocks are out there that will give me more stability BUT be as light as the factory Houge stock. Money isn't a real big deal but I would like to keep it on the cheaper side if possible because this is a "throwaround rifle" I am familia with H-S, McMillian, Manners and others. I have one or two of each of the above mentioned but Am wondering on any thing else. Like I said. I'm looking for a LIGHT stock. But I like quality. Any helpful hints. I know there are other threads out here talking about this stock being replaced but I didn't see any that were focused on weight. Thanks in advance.

Re: Rem SPS stock upgrade

You're right, the stock is junk, but there are several options. The first that comes to mind is to find a take-off HS stock from an LTR. They are compact in dimension and relatively light while still being stiff and having the full length aluminum bedding block.

If you really don't mind spending money then look at the McMillan "Edge" line. Many of the McMillan configurations can be had with the "Edge" treatment which consists of carbon fiber shell and very light fill. These are absolutely the lightest stocks I've ever seen that are still super stiff.

I bought the same rifle and same uses. I bought a used HTG stock off of the Hide and have been pleased with it. Just shop around and wair a bit, used stocks turn up on here regularly.

Cut

I never even shot the rifle in its original stock. I picked up a PSS stock for under $200 and bedded it. It shoots like a dream now.

DSC_0014.jpg

I've got the Bell and Carlson M40 on my sps tactical no complaints!

Also the weight of my B&C M40 seemed a little lighter then the factory hogue.

You can have a smith reinforce the houge overmold and make it a lot better. For a truck gun so long as you don't use a bipod and shoot it off bags or a pack mine shoots well with the crappy houge. I am just going to reinforce it an let it ride.

Got a manners T5A in so it's on the way to the smith to get fitted out. Thinking about a different trigger too. Got an EGW base on it. This is the only gun I have with this base. Are most peoples been holding true I wonder. They are very inexspensive but Maybe they are fine.

I would say have a look at the XLR Evolution. It's light, well built, and gives you the mag capability if you want it. By the way Kyles customer service is top notch.

I went with the hinged floor plate on this one. Manners T5A. I have the DBM on my other rifles but figured I'd try this to see if simpler is better for this guns particular use. I have always liked the manners and cant wait for this one to be put together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say have a look at the XLR Evolution. It's light, well built, and gives you the mag capability if you want it. By the way Kyles customer service is top notch. </div></div>

With all due respect, the XLR is an awesome stock/chassis but it is far from light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bell and Carlson seems to be good for the money. I have an H&S Stock, which I like, but if I were to do it again, I would get the B&C Light Tactical.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-304/bell-carlson-tactical-remington/Detail</div></div>
    That's what I have my SPS-V in, well the Varmint/Tactical version with a slightly more vertical grip and no butt hook. It works great for me. I never fired it in the factory stock so I have no comparison, but the B&C fit perfectly and free floats all the way to the recoil lug. It's very solid and the palm swell is nice. I may upgrade to a Manners, McMillan or AICS later on, but the stock isn't holding the gun back at all right now from what I can tell.