• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem700 Donor Action from an old 30-06

LoanHarvey

I am Harvdog!
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
www.loanharvey.com
If a guy wanted to do a build and had a donor LA, what would you choose and why? Looking to build something in between a 243 and a 7RM. I would like to stay in the 6mm or 7mm class of bullets. Build is for LR steel and medium game. Will not need any factory ammo for this. Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you very much.

284 throated for 180 bergers.

Looks like Jamie beat me to it.

Last edited:
If a guy wanted to do a build and had a donor LA, what would you choose and why? Looking to build something in between a 243 and a 7RM. I would like to stay in the 6mm or 7mm class of bullets. Build is for LR steel and medium game. Will not need any factory ammo for this. Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you very much.

The 6.5 Swede, 7x57, or 7 Rem Mag, would all be fun. The 7x57 comes into its own with a little more powder capacity than the 7-08 using the long sleek 7mm projectiles with high b/c's, the only downside is availability of the great 7mm projectiles but offers really long barrel life. That said, my long range rig is a good old 7mm Rem Mag, I just shot a 6" group at a 1000 with it, it hits hard and is 6mils to 1000.

By in the range of 6mm-7mm do you include 25 & 26 cals, or do you mean just 6s and 7s?

Here's some cartridges I like for that action and purpose:
6mm AI or GAP Crusader
6.5x55 Vais or BJAI
6.5-06 AI an incredible round PM me if you want to chat about it
280 AI
30-06 or AI

If it were me, I'd go with one of those. With my preference being one of the first three, and a 6.5 over the 6 if the game is elk or above. The latter two if ELR is on the table.

Feed it from the bdl? I went to 280 Rem. with my 3006 action. Screwed a Remmage barrel on it and it is a shooter. Picky about the load, I am shooting 162's @ 2800. If I had it to do again, It would be a 6.5-06 and lighter than my heavy varmint. Hell, the seven is good, its just that its finished, now what?