• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes REM700 XCR with NXS 5.5-22X50 - Which NF Rings?

SAPPER77

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2010
Kandahar Afghanistan
Hi All,

Looking for some help from someone with this setup or someone in the know. I have an XCR .308 20" and I'm ordering a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 NPR2 for it in the next few days after a few months deciding on the scope setup. I am currently in Afghanistan so I can't measure and don't have the time or a fast enough internet connection for the detailed research needed to figure it out. I have tried viewing the forum for pictures of this setup with the spec's underneath but haven't had any luck.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the NF one piece REM700 steel picatinny 20MOA base with 30mm steel rings and I want to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible (naturally). I plan to have the butler creek caps as well but I'm not opposed to filing them down if I need to.

Any help on ring height for this setup would be greatly appreciated, I'm open to opinions on different mounts as well, but really leaning toward the NF steel setup. Can I pull off the .883 height rings with the tapered/fluted barrel on the XCR/LTR's?

This is my first post on the forum but I have been using the site for years, I'm just not in a position to buy from afar without some help on this one.

Thanks!

Re: REM700 XCR with NXS 5.5-22X50 - Which NF Rings?

I have the same set up as you. .885 rings will fit but with the bc caps they will hit the bolt at some powers. I could only use 6 -15 power with out the bolt handle getting in the way. Did not matter how i indexed the cap it would not work. If you think you might want to put a aics on one day or want to use full zoom of your scope with bc caps go with the 1.00 nf rings In have both and like the 1.00" way better ever thing works great and line if sight is Bang on how.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess a little more than 1/16" isn't much higher to gain the full use of my scope so it looks like 1" rings are the answer unless anyone else has a work-around for the bolt handle contact on the butler creek caps. If so I would like to know, but ultimately 1" rings would be fine by me.

On another note, when hunting I have an area where I face East in the morning and sometimes have the sun in my face, did your NXS come with a sun shade? Do you have any issues in similar conditions that would lead you to think I should invest in one, and if so do you have any recommendations where to get one if NF doesn't provide one?

Thanks again!

Sapper the I have the low rings (DDROSS) on a DDROSS base and my 5.5-22x56 clears the barrel fine. It's a tight fit for the bikini covers ,which are a bit thick at the edges, but my butler creeks are just fine and nothing is contacting. The low rings on a picatinny rail will clear your 50mm objective fine.

The .885's should work fine on the 50...I use a 20 NF rail and 1.00's with my 56mm obj and am pretty sure that I could have gone with the lower rings with room to spare.

My rifle with medium NF rings
smile.gif

1111.jpg

Thanks again for all the replies.

Has anyone else experienced the bolt handle contact with the butler creek covers using the .885 rings? It looks like the low rings are fine for the front/objective end of the scope, but jamiebob has had issues with the butler creek caps on the back end. I have the factory B&C stock and don't have the bolt handle job done yet so not sure if that has an impact.

This is great information, much appreciated.