• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remage barrel misaligned

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    I bought a new remage barrel M24 contour a while back and finally got around to putting it on. I got it here on the Hide for a good price from a member that had barrels in several different chamberings. I also got a remage nut from him and I used a new old recoil lug I had. I doubt they were precision ground.
    The barrel is so misaligned it won’t fit in any stock including one I have with a 1/4 inch on each side of another remage setup with a mtu contour barrel.
    My suspicion/hopes is that the problem is in the recoil lug or the nut. So I ordered both from NSS yesterday in hopes that’s the problem.
    I thought about spinning the barrel 90 degrees to see what happens but I don’t think that will tell me anything. I don’t have a lot of patience so I’m trying to see this as an opportunity to learn something new. It’s probably gonna be the same lesson as always, you get what you pay for. However one never knows.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the problem?
    Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the cause?
    Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Your receiver face might not be square, i would just mail it to a proper smith to get it done.

Or buy a custom action and thread the prefit on.

Reactions: winxp_man
    There's gotta be a few things compounding here if it's not fitting a large opening stock. My guess is the threads aren't square in your action, the recoil lug and/or action face aren't square. the other possibility is that the barrel is a little more banana'd than most. No bores are 100% straight or concentric and typically smiths indicate off the bore when they thread, so sometimes barrels have a little cant to them. Maybe try rotating the barrel a few quarter turns to rule this out.

Yes sir I was wondering the same thing and hoping it’s not the barrel. I rolled the barrel and it didn’t appear banana shaped. I also rotated it 90 degrees and the misalignment follows. The action should be good because the misalignment changes. I set this thing to the side and the lug and nut will be here soon. I might take another rifle apart and start swapping stuff around if those don’t help. It’s always the part I saved money on that gets me. The $80 savings on the barrel probably wasn’t a savings after all.🤦‍♂️ Thanks for y’all’s help I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Contact the manufacturer of said barrel. That is definitely out of spec if the barrel is that misaligned. Any good company should help you out

Also, when I said the bore isn't ever 100% straight or concentric I meant the inside of the bore. The outside is usually pretty damn straight. It comes with the territory of drilling a very long hole. The bit tends to walk a little bit. When they chamber they usually set it up so the chamber is in perfect alignment with the bore on one end and that may not be perfectly aligned with the outside of the barrel or the other end for that matter. That's why good smiths usually time the misalignment at the 12 o'clock position. If the bore is slightly banana'd upwards, your scope won't need a large amount of windage to zero.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jcmullis2
    If you need it to work, see if you can time that misalignment to the 12:00 position and still be within the go/no go gauges

Contact the manufacturer of said barrel. That is definitely out of spec if the barrel is that misaligned. Any good company should help you out

Also, when I said the bore isn't ever 100% straight or concentric I meant the inside of the bore. The outside is usually pretty damn straight. It comes with the territory of drilling a very long hole. The bit tends to walk a little bit. When they chamber they usually set it up so the chamber is in perfect alignment with the bore on one end and that may not be perfectly aligned with the outside of the barrel or the other end for that matter. That's why good smiths usually time the misalignment at the 12 o'clock position. If the bore is slightly banana'd upwards, your scope won't need a large amount of windage to zero.
    I’m thinking the same as you but hoping it’s just the barrel nut. A few thousandths over 26” is all it would take for this to happen. I would have thought more people would have dealt with this. I’m gonna give the new nut and lug a try just to make sure before I accuse anyone of screwing up. I’m glad to see by your screen name I’m not the only unlucky bastard 😂

Reactions: DairyDictator
    I’ve seen savage recoil lugs cause misalignment of a barrel
    I’m guessing it’s the receiver or lug or a combination.
    if it was the barrel it would swing around in a circle at the muzzle when you spun it in.

If you need it to work, see if you can time that misalignment to the 12:00 position and still be within the go/no go gauges
    I’ve got others to punch holes with. If the nut doesn’t fix it I’ll try that. Hell it’ll be a free 20-30 moa extra range of adjustment on my scope. Thanks

I’ve seen savage recoil lugs cause misalignment of a barrel
    I’m guessing it’s the receiver or lug or a combination.
    if it was the barrel it would swing around in a circle at the muzzle when you spun it in.
    Unless I read his post wrong, that's exactly whats happening

Unless I read his post wrong, that's exactly whats happening
    I’m thinking the nut but probably the lug isn’t parallel either. The nut doesn’t appear flush with the lug on the opposite side of the misalignment. The “precision ground” nut & lug will be here in a couple of days and maybe that’ll solve the problem. Thank you fellas for the help. I’m sure we’ll get it sorted out

I don't think the nut and lug are likely to be the cause. They would just end up with a gap on what ever side. I don't think they would make enough pressure to bend the tenon on the barrel, unless the threads are super sloppy. Some pictures may help. Diagnosing weird problems sight unseen is nearly impossible.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
    I assume this is a rem 700 action that hasn't been trued? The lug and nut would have to be really off and magically line up to cause the barrel to always point off, in different directions during rotation. I also can't imagine the threads being that loose, unless it was trued and threads were opened up to get square, but then the action face would have been trued and just a slightly crooked lug and nut(that would need to have their "off" sides lined up) would really be unparallel. Who is the manufacturer of the barrel, Joe Bob's barrel shop or a reputable maker. FYI, ive had a couple shilen prefits and a 12+criterion prefits, and none have been visually crooked. I hate to say it, but i think the threads on barrel are off. If the barrel rolls flat, and the crooked rotates as the barrel rotates.....

Reactions: DairyDictator
    It’s a ER Shaw barrel and nut. The R700 action hasn’t been trued. I’m pretty sure it’s either the barrel or nut. I was gonna take those things off another rig I have. However I’m gonna wait until the nut and lug I ordered get here so not to waste my entire weekend. Thanks

Reactions: 6brshooter
    I received my new barrel nut and recoil lug from Northland shooter supply a few days ago. I finally got a chance to see if they’d fix the problem. I had put a piece of tape on the barrel and marked the side it was canted towards. Off with the old nut & lug and on with the new ones. After spinning the barrel on and headspacing it the damn barrel was back to the same spot. I then rotated it to have the cant pointing to 12:00 trying to time the barrel in case it was the barrel but I had excessive headspace. I returned the barrel to where I had proper headspace and torqued the nut to 65ft/LBs. I then put the barreled action in my stock and this time the barrel is centered in the barrel channel. Hell yes! I wanna thank everyone for the help with this. I appreciate y’all 👍

Glad it work out.
    I am too. I’m pretty new with the remage setup and I only change out a barrel when I’m done with it. I didn’t mention the one thing I did different this time but I think it’s important to include it if it helps someone else. The other times I left my GO gauge chambered when I tightened the barrel nut. I didn’t today because I thought it might have caused or at least contributed to the problem. Do you know if that’s the wrong way? I did it like that out of laziness to keep the barrel from turning in a hair more instead of putting the barrel in my vise. It worked fine with my other barrels and minimized my risk of scratching new cerakoted barrels. This barrel is stainless so I was just being lazy. Like I said, I wanted to include this for others who run into this problem and search for answers here. Thanks for your thoughts on this and all your help.

I am too. I’m pretty new with the remage setup and I only change out a barrel when I’m done with it. I didn’t mention the one thing I did different this time but I think it’s important to include it if it helps someone else. The other times I left my GO gauge chambered when I tightened the barrel nut. I didn’t today because I thought it might have caused or at least contributed to the problem. Do you know if that’s the wrong way? I did it like that out of laziness to keep the barrel from turning in a hair more instead of putting the barrel in my vise. It worked fine with my other barrels and minimized my risk of scratching new cerakoted barrels. This barrel is stainless so I was just being lazy. Like I said, I wanted to include this for others who run into this problem and search for answers here. Thanks for your thoughts on this and all your help.
    It shouldn't matter. It should fit in the chamber effortlessly before and after tightening

It shouldn't matter. It should fit in the chamber effortlessly before and after tightening
    If I don’t have the barrel in the vise my barrel will tighten some when I tighten the barrel nut. I’ve gotta be really careful not to do anything with my action wrench but hold the action in one spot and tighten the barrel nut to the action, not tighten the action to the barrel nut. No big deal but I’m lazy and putting the barrel in the vise takes longer than anything else. By leaving my GO gauge in I knew it wouldn’t tighten if I inadvertently pushed more on the action wrench than I pulled on the torque wrench on my barrel nut. Like I mentioned earlier I don’t change barrels that often but I wanna do things right. I’ve heard that it can mess up the gauge. I’m not applying that much force and I don’t see it as a problem so long as it doesn’t cause any alignment problems. What you guys have said about it is in line with what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I appreciate your input and help also. Thanks to you and everyone else we got my barrel problem straightened out. No pun intended