• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remage barrel not grouping

Ranger.1006

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2021
North dakota
Just installed a x caliber remage 22-250 barrel. Used go no go gauges to set headspace, rem action was trued, after market recoil lug installed. Fitted to a bergara stock, dollar Bill slides all the way to the nut. 1-10 twist 5 r groves. Broke barrel in per manuf. 4 different loads, diff weights. Best group is 3 min. I haven’t called x caliber yet wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. Thanks

When you say the action was trued, were the tennon threads enlarged over Standard spec?

Unless you got a borescope you should send it back for an eval.

Did you do a control test with factory ammo?

Wouldn't be the first time Xcaliber sent out bad barrels.

I can't say that but also check the bolt lug engagement on the action.

Paint the back of them with sharpie and see If they wear even

image.jpg

You can get a scrub mark like that if you don’t pull the ejector. I also prefer a small fortune float over a single dollar one.

Reactions: Average guy
Plunger was pulled for headspacing. Extractor still in place. I just colored a bullet used my c o a l gauge and seated the bullet same Mark same spot

Had to send one back because it had no freebore. I have another one that has a single land longer than the rest. shoots good so I never made a fuss.

Plunger was pulled for headspacing. Extractor still in place. I just colored a bullet used my c o a l gauge and seated the bullet same Mark same spot
Gotcha. Seems like you’ve scratched the mechanical stuff off the list. If your concentricity is good there might be something funky in the throat. If you pull the barrel and hold it up to the light your eye will see a faint line where the freebore starts, depending on diameter. If it’s not concentric you’ll probably see it.
And make sure it’s not the barrel hitting the stock from recoil or bipod influence.