• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REMAGE budget build??

Crown ridge barrel works usually has some stuff in stock made with x-caliber blanks. The ones I have, have been shooters. Same goes for the Criterions, and couple I got from Apache Gun Works on Criterion blanks.

If you don't have the action, then I would suggest you take a look at the Mack Bros stainless EVO action.
No, it doesn't come with a trigger, but the remington is shit anyway and you would have to replace it.
This is a high quality, custom action with the bells and whistles you would eventually buy anyway.
Plus, it comes with a pic rail

Valid point here too. I've felt one EVO and regret not owning it. They're absurdly smooth for what they cost and had I realized how good they were the recent tikka build I dropped over $900 on once coating was completed would be on an Evo, bar none. For comparison to the Origin the Evo i felt was smoother than my brothers Origin. It was I kid you not one of the smoothest actions I've felt in a long time. The Origin is still slick as snot though. Which ever you can get first go ahead and take. The origin offers more modularity to the setup.

@Smitty192 But all in all if you haven't gotten the 700 yet don't go with it. I started where you are except remages weren't really a thing back then, I went with 700 5R and then built it from there. By the time I was done I had spent the money for a custom with no custom to show for it.

Fast forward to when my brother built his rifle some odd 4 years ago. Went origin. I made sure he wasn't about to waste the money.

Now I say all this and am back tracking spending $800 on done up 700s for clones like an insane person... but you get my point.

Valid point here too. I've felt one EVO and regret not owning it. They're absurdly smooth for what they cost and had I realized how good they were the recent tikka build I dropped over $900 on once coating was completed would be on an Evo, bar none. For comparison to the Origin the Evo i felt was smoother than my brothers Origin. It was I kid you not one of the smoothest actions I've felt in a long time. The Origin is still slick as snot though. Which ever you can get first go ahead and take. The origin offers more modularity to the setup.

@Smitty192 But all in all if you haven't gotten the 700 yet don't go with it. I started where you are except remages weren't really a thing back then, I went with 700 5R and then built it from there. By the time I was done I had spent the money for a custom with no custom to show for it.

Fast forward to when my brother built his rifle some odd 4 years ago. Went origin. I made sure he wasn't about to waste the money.

Now I say all this and am back tracking spending $800 on done up 700s for clones like an insane person... but you get my point.
Point well taken. I learned alot from others comments on this topic. A few things I didn't consider that changed the cost calculations. Modifying a 700 action wouldn't be viable solution, especially with the custom action offerings now. I think a Remage build would only make sense with a low cost action purchase or an existing 700 action sitting around. Lots of good info.

Reactions: 5RWill
Point well taken. I learned alot from others comments on this topic. A few things I didn't consider that changed the cost calculations. Modifying a 700 action wouldn't be viable solution, especially with the custom action offerings now. I think a Remage build would only make sense with a low cost action purchase or an existing 700 action sitting around. Lots of good info.
The beauty of the Origin is that the tolerances even with the pinned lug are tight enough that prefits are an option and probably even remages (honestly haven't looked). Given that this is the beginning of what will likely end up in more rifles down the road. I would start with the origin. Should you get the itch to switch calibers it's a $180 $125 bolt head, a prefit, and go/nogo gauges away. The prefit option is also just straight plug and play. Still check it with a gauge but that would be the fastest method to starting up a custom outside of buying a fitted rifle IMHO.

Lots of reputable smiths that make prefits for the origin as well.

Last edited:
1. WHAT is your intended use of this weapon you are pondering to build ?
2. If you stay with the 308, Northland / Criterion offers 4 different 308 chamberings
3. You will probably have a 4 to 6 Mo. wait, specially if you want anything other that standard 308 with a .310 ID throat.
4. Run a few stability programs on the bullets you plan to use, and don't settle for the "one size fits all" 1-10T

I ended up buying a R700 5R mil spec gen 1 barrled action. I found a deal that was too good to pass up. Already has the bolt knob done. It was cheaper than an Origin action and will fit the bill for my utility 308.

Thanks everyone for all of the insight. I learned a good deal from this thread.

Reactions: Bmaier69
I ended up buying a R700 5R mil spec gen 1 barrled action. I found a deal that was too good to pass up. Already has the bolt knob done. It was cheaper than an Origin action and will fit the bill for my utility 308.

Thanks everyone for all of the insight. I learned a good deal from this thread.
I bought a mil spec about 10 years ago. It shot incredibly well