• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remi 700 BDL for long range

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
I have a chance to pick up a unfired Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with wood stock for around $750. This is the 22" barreled version. I currently shoot a POF .308 autoloader but want to get into a decent bolt gun that can be upgraded. My first thoughts were to stay in .308 with a Savage 10 series since I currently reload .308. I can easily add '06 to my calibers.

Is the 30-06 and the 700BDL a decent rifle for distance - distance for me is 600-800 max.

Re: Remi 700 BDL for long range

If you plan to do target shooting with entended firing sessions. Then a heavier barrel will be better as it will heat up more slowly.

A thin hunting barrel will get very hot very fast.

For LR hunting, it can work as long as you have the right load and practice.

what ar your intended targets? big game? target for score?

A base REMY 700 is great place to start, especially if you want to upgrade slowly over time.
If you want .5 MOA accuracy at the start. It could be a better bet to go custom from the start.

A pencil barrel 30-06 is less than ideal. It's going to heat up quick and have pretty good recoil. It's also not going to be as accurate as a heavy barrel.

I would wait until Dicks does a sale on the ADL varmints again. Hunting season is coming up and you're starting to see sales. When they hit pick one up for $400 and you've got a great platform to build from and you can get 308 which you're already setup to load. Put some decent glass on it, put it in a better stock and you have yourself a good rifle for not a lot of $$. Best of all its a 700 so the possibilities are endless.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I do hunt but I'm not looking for a hunting gun. I really want a bench bolt gun so the barrel issue is a real one. It's a beautiful rifle but I think I'll save my pennies and get a decent heavy barreled tactical long range in .308. I have some nice loads worked up in .308 and good experience with. It will be easier to work up a new rifle than start a new caliber from scratch.

If your looking to start out with a $800ish rifle than i would look at a lightly used 700P. Would make a great out of the box rifle. especially if you plan on keeping it factory for alittle while. Great starting platform to shoot. If you are planning on rebarreling and restocking soon after getting it, then i would just buy a cheaper heavy barrel model.