• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reminder about Dicks and Cheaper Than Dirt - Don't shop there

IslandTime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
The Island
As rifles and magazine suppliers slowly get back to normal conditions let us not forget how quickly Dicks Sporting Goods and Cheaper Than Dirt where willing to toss the 2nd Amendment under the bus. With so many great suppliers on the hide, local sources and other good companies out there, these two should be avoided at all cost. Just two weekends ago a friend of mine wanted to go to Dicks for something and I said absolutely not. I told my friend even if it meant driving 15 miles out of the way we where going someplace else.

Let us not forget as time marches forward.

Cheaper than Dirt are a bunch of price gouging jack offs. I've never shopped there anyway, but I never will in the future either.

Price gouging aside, how has CTD "tossed the 2nd amendment under the bus"? Not being a smart-ass, just wasn't aware of them pulling a stunt like Dick's (who will never see another penny from me).

You don't remember? Those bitches decided it was best if they stop selling "assault weapons", and then decided to stop selling ALL firearms after the "event". They helped push and publicly supported the anti-gun movement; that is until they seen the shitload of money that they were missing out on. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be damned if the same dog bites me twice.

Maybe we should take this a step further and boycott every product and service that comes from any company located in a 2A unfriendly state.

You don't remember? Those bitches decided it was best if they stop selling "assault weapons", and then decided to stop selling ALL firearms after the "event". They helped push and publicly supported the anti-gun movement; that is until they seen the shitload of money that they were missing out on. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be damned if the same dog bites me twice.

++++++++++1

Maybe we should take this a step further and boycott every product and service that comes from any company located in a 2A unfriendly state.
I don't know if this is just sarcasm or what, but here's my take. I don't think it's best to punish companies that happen to be headquartered in a state that pushes its laws against them. I actually think it's better to support them and aid them in the political fight, not turn our backs on them. Some of their roots go back a very long time, long before any gun legislation was even thought of. It's not so easy to pick up and move to another state like some think it is, and others prefer to dig in and fight back rather than leave.

Now companies like CTD and Dick's that pulled their antics to appease the grabbers? I will not be a patron to their stores because they made their bed and now they must lie in it. I'm just now coming back around to Ruger and S&W from the 90's, but they still have a bad taste to me.

Cheaper than Dirt are a bunch of price gouging jack offs. I've never shopped there anyway, but I never will in the future either.

Everybody wants to talk about price gouging, but in all seriousness, Cheaper Than Dirt did us a huge FAVOR by jacking up their prices. Having a higher price meant that if you needed something, they actually had it in stock.

Amazing that so many pro-gunners trumpet the ability of free markets to best provide goods and services, yet when a company behaves intelligently with respect to market conditions, they are thrown under the bus by the very people who say they want market pricing mechanisms.

Sorry, but I would rather all the gun dealers had placed a $10,000 price tag on AR's and AK's and then brought the prices down to meet the price/demand equilibrium accordingly. Then there would at least not have been a shortage of arms, ammo or components.

My hat is off to the good folks at CTD for not behaving like douche bags and selling their inventory for less than it was worth at the time.

Everyone expected Magpul to pull out why not other companies too?

A few companies have moved and are planning to move. I agree with Redmanss about supporting the companies that are behind enemy lines. I try to donate as often as I can to people who are fighting the fight. Most recently I sent money to the group trying in Colorado trying to recall elected members of congress.

Everybody wants to talk about price gouging, but in all seriousness, Cheaper Than Dirt did us a huge FAVOR by jacking up their prices. Having a higher price meant that if you needed something, they actually had it in stock.

Amazing that so many pro-gunners trumpet the ability of free markets to best provide goods and services, yet when a company behaves intelligently with respect to market conditions, they are thrown under the bus by the very people who say they want market pricing mechanisms.

Sorry, but I would rather all the gun dealers had placed a $10,000 price tag on AR's and AK's and then brought the prices down to meet the price/demand equilibrium accordingly. Then there would at least not have been a shortage of arms, ammo or components.

My hat is off to the good folks at CTD for not behaving like douche bags and selling their inventory for less than it was worth at the time.
CTD opted to pull the modern rifles and then their entire firearm inventory offline in the wake of Sandy Hook. Why? Did they forget they were a gun dealer? Their pricing has absolutely nothing to do with this in my book; they kowtowed to the grabbers and then tried to come back and act like the good guy by now saying they will not sell firearms to agencies in states with new strict anti-gun legislation. I'm sorry but I'm not going to fall for their smoke and mirrors trickery. They caved under the guise of "reviewing and improving our processes". Why, were they illegally selling firearms? No, they were cowards, plain and simple and did exactly what the media did: They blamed the gun instead of the lunatic. For shame...

There are MANY, MANY other dealers in the industry that support The Constitution and the sport without a doubt, and in my opinion there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to them.

I could care less about their pricing methods, they're a private business and can do as they wish, but their name is a laugh at what they actually charge.

Taking advantage of a situation by stealing money from their customers does make them douche bags. Midway and several others vowed to not raise prices and they are sticking to it. That is a business with the welfare of shooters at heart, and they will have my business any day.

CTD opted to pull the modern rifles and then their entire firearm inventory offline in the wake of Sandy Hook. Why? Did they forget they were a gun dealer? Their pricing has absolutely nothing to do with this in my book; they kowtowed to the grabbers and then tried to come back and act like the good guy by now saying they will not sell firearms to agencies in states with new strict anti-gun legislation. I'm sorry but I'm not going to fall for their smoke and mirrors trickery. They caved under the guise of "reviewing and improving our processes". Why, were they illegally selling firearms? No, they were cowards, plain and simple and did exactly what the media did: They blamed the gun instead of the lunatic. For shame...

There are MANY, MANY other dealers in the industry that support The Constitution and the sport without a doubt, and in my opinion there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to them.

I could care less about their pricing methods, they're a private business and can do as they wish, but their name is a laugh at what they actually charge.

I just did a search for them halting gun sales after Sandy Hoax.

It turns out you are right, and now I am totally with you. I thought I had been seeing guns for sale in the emails that I delete from them, and as of right now, they have guns for sale via the website, which I very very rarely visit. Until you brought this up, I did not know they had halted sales. I knew the assholes at Dicks did this, and I won't buy from Academy Sports any more either because they pulled the semi autos and put them in the back room.

I am with you about not supporting ANY companies that cave to the disarmament sociopaths. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and you can now add me to the list of folks no longer buying from Cheaper Than Dirt. I hadn't purchased from them in at least three or four years, and now I won't purchase from them ever again.

M1Amen

M1Amen, I see where you were coming from now and glad to see you are better informed on the "why" for a lot of us not shopping with them.

It's my belief that we all should e mail them and let them know why we won't be supporting them with out bussiness.

I would think that when they see scores of leters coming in they will change their minds. Then at that point, in another letter, tell them screw you, you should have thought about that before you stepped on gun rights.

My letter went when they did this crap.

emailed ctd after their message came that they were not selling "those guns" and mags and told them to take me off their mailing list. really sad that a company that talks about the 2nd ammendment in their radio adds would cower down after the government makes noise about outlawing a lawful product. their latest catalog list ar parts and mags, but no prices. guess it,s like the stock market, sell to the highest bidder. they pissed in their own bed as far as i,m concerned. really to bad, i used to spend a lot of money with them.

I won't be spending money at the price gouging companies in the future. As for the companies that did hike their prices they have every right to do so, I am a huge free market capitalist. But when there were companies that did us a favor by selling products at nearly the same prices I will support them, just like shopping around and buying from the cheapest source. I sold off three ARs at nearly the same price as what I had into them, just a couple bucks more. My thinking was, I would rather help some good folks get some good rifles before it is too late. In the future I will first give my business to the companies that do not sell to the agencies of constitutional revisionist states, and I encourage everyone else to support them as much as they can.

Academy is another one that took AR's off the shelf after the SHTF. They still sold them but refused to display them. I was told by one of the sales reps that they were trying not scare away potential customers, and if was out of sight it would not bother anyone. It bothered me becuase they were just adding to the, it looks scary it must be bad attitude twords them.

i can confidently say that i have made my last purchase at dick's. i hope they can be happy with the clientele they have chosen! as for ctd, their constant stream of catalogs makes decent firestarting material-not great, but decent. as for ordering anything from them- no, thank you.

fuckin blows, they're building a dicks about 10 miles away, and will be the only sporting goods store around.

Back in the day Dick's bought up Galyan's which was the dominant local sporting goods store in the Columbus area. Word on the street was that they thought it a good idea to buy them rather than to compete with them. I never understood the move. Galyan's had high end stuff and a wide selection of ammunition, firearms, and optics. Dick's most expensive optic was a Leupold VX-I and had little selection of anything. Seemed to me like the competed more with Walmart than Galyan's though Walmart had their prices licked. Long story short, I haven't walked into a Dick in years.....

I just did a search for them halting gun sales after Sandy Hoax.

It turns out you are right, and now I am totally with you. I thought I had been seeing guns for sale in the emails that I delete from them, and as of right now, they have guns for sale via the website, which I very very rarely visit. Until you brought this up, I did not know they had halted sales. I knew the assholes at Dicks did this, and I won't buy from Academy Sports any more either because they pulled the semi autos and put them in the back room.

I am with you about not supporting ANY companies that cave to the disarmament sociopaths. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and you can now add me to the list of folks no longer buying from Cheaper Than Dirt. I hadn't purchased from them in at least three or four years, and now I won't purchase from them ever again.

M1Amen

Agreed. Didn't hear about this before, but I'm glad I have now. Not that I ever shopped there anyways, but now I can bad-mouth CTD to everyone I know who might shop there. Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Be sure to go into Dick's and politely tell the manager why you aren't shopping there any longer. Be polite. Its NOT his fault personally. But if he gets enuf of these type of polite complaints , he'll report them up the chian of command.... mostly cuz he wants to keep his job.

One thing about punishing companies in anti states. Think of Colt, they have been in Conn. for how long? Instead of punishing them, i would say to let them know you would "reward" them for moving to a friendly state, by committing to buy a rifle from them. If they were to move, i would gladly pick up a 6920 as an "attaboy" to them.

Speaking of Colt 6920. I got a CtD email 2(?) weeks ago advertizing a Colt LE6920 for the CHEAPER THAN DIRT!!!! price of $2595. I walked into a local gun store that day and saw one on the shelf for $1447. The CtD email made me laugh out loud, but the local store didn't get me fishing for my wallet. Do any of these yahoos know that Walmart sells this gun for $1097?

Then again, the scare must finally- and really- be over. The most recent CtD email listed 223 ammo for less than $1 per round- I think it was $17.95 for a 20 round box of armscorp(?).

Being in a anti gun state is more of a curse than a choice. Its not anyones choice to be in a restricted states and we, in CA, as gun owners do our absolute best to protect our 2A right just as hard as anyone else. We just face more political hurdles in our state. Abandoning states with stricter gun laws simply because of stricter gun laws, you have give them what they want: abandon a part of 2A supporting gun community nation-wide.

Being in a anti gun state is more of a curse than a choice. Its not anyones choice to be in a restricted states and we, in CA, as gun owners do our absolute best to protect our 2A right just as hard as anyone else. We just face more political hurdles in our state. Abandoning states with stricter gun laws simply because of stricter gun laws, you have give them what they want: abandon a part of 2A supporting gun community nation-wide.
It is a choice. You chose to endure the curse. You may be right by staying there and fighting the local battle but if everyone moved out of these states and took all of their money with them it sure would send a firm message. Also, if you moved to a pro 2a state it would further strengthen that state instead of all of us being diluted across the country.

Noticed an article where Dicks sales and stock have taken a huge hit. Who did they blame? Lance Armstrong. In a time when all you have to sale is guns and ammo, they are getting their just deserts.

Yeah, I'm done with both those companies. The only thing I've ever bought from Dick's was shotgun shells and the only reason I ever went to CTD's site was for a laugh.

Are you talking about CTD? Because they did that too, maybe minus supporting the anti-gun movt.

CTD are a bunch of morons, they basically alienated themselves from gun owners, the only people that go to their site. F em

Thanks for bringing this up. Will definitely avoid dicks and CTD, which with their current prices, shouldn't be very hard to do.

I won't be spending money at the price gouging companies in the future. As for the companies that did hike their prices they have every right to do so, I am a huge free market capitalist. But when there were companies that did us a favor by selling products at nearly the same prices I will support them, just like shopping around and buying from the cheapest source. I sold off three ARs at nearly the same price as what I had into them, just a couple bucks more. My thinking was, I would rather help some good folks get some good rifles before it is too late. In the future I will first give my business to the companies that do not sell to the agencies of constitutional revisionist states, and I encourage everyone else to support them as much as they can.

Counldnt agree more.

And good to know on CTD BS. Will avoid them. Only ever purchased one thing from them, a FV-SR 22 and they literally had the cheapest prices, but that was a long time ago.

Regards,
DT

Noticed an article where Dicks sales and stock have taken a huge hit. Who did they blame? Lance Armstrong. In a time when all you have to sale is guns and ammo, they are getting their just deserts.

I was reading the Q1 earnings release. They blamed everything but their policy change. Meanwhile Cabela's has been on a tear.

J.

I quit CTD 3 or 4 years ago when they wouldn't honor their flyer price on the same day it cam in the mail. Dick's has never been a serious store ever anyway.

I am really glad you guys feel this way. I haven't shopped in Dick's since this happened, and never shopped at CTD. It's just smart to spend money at places that care about the same things you do, and have some fortitude. These cowards don't give two shits about our 2nd Ammendment rights.

Last Christmas many Dick’s customers were sent one mean lump of coal in the form of a gift certificate. All customers who pre-ordered a Troy Carbine from Dick’s for their Black Friday special had their orders cancelled and their money returned.
Following the Newtown shooting spree, Dick’s Sporting Goods changed their policy and stopped selling AR-pattern and other semi-automatic, magazine-fed rifles, even the guns they had already sold.
If there’s a silver lining for all the people who were eagerly waiting for that Troy Carbine and were vastly dissappointed, it’s that Dick’s isn’t doing so well in the financial department.
At a time where the only thing a company has to do to sell firearms, ammo and accessories is to unlock their doors, Dick’s sales have flat-lined. In fact, their sales dropped 2.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to 2011 and their shares 10 percent in the last quarter.
Dick’s CEO pointed his finger squarely at, well, Lance Armstrong. “People had a very negative reaction to the Livestrong brand,” he said at an earnings report.
Lance Armstrong recently confessed that he trafficked and used steroids, giving in to allegations of doping starting in 2004. His line of Livestrong goods makes up for half of Dick’s elliptical and trainer apparel.
Dick’s denied that their sales were low because of the store’s gun policy, instead they pointed the finger at the ammunition shortage.
But other sporting goods stores are not feeling the pinch despite the ammo drought. In fact, Cabela’s is doing better than ever and investors have been quick to point out that it’s because of their strong gun sales.
“Cabela’s Inc. stock closed up more than 16 percent, among leading gainers on the New York Stock Exchange, and hit a 52-week high Thursday after reporting strong financial results above the market’s and the company’s expectations.”
Gun sales accounted for almost two-thirds of Cabela’s gains, with their sales up by 24 percent over last year.
“First-quarter results exceeded our expectations on every line of the income statement,” said Cabela’s Tommy Millner. “In addition to expected increases in firearms and ammunition sales, we saw particularly strong performance in softgoods and footwear.”
Still, some analysts believe Cabela’s firearms earning to be temporary, with the massive surge in the sales of everything gun-related expected to wane now that the bulk of federal gun control bills have failed to pass muster.
“Without firearms and ammunition, same-stores sales increased just 9 percent — still strong, but clearly much of Cabela’s growth was driven by gun buyers,” wrote Jeremy Bowman of the Motley Fool. ”As the stock has now tripled in the past year and a half, investors may want to take a cue from their senators and sell while the stock is hot.”
We suspect it’s a bit early to start bailing on Cabela’s, that gun sales will stay strong for the coming months. What we can be sure on, however, is that while this boom is also a bubble, Dick’s failed to get in on much if any of it

Link: Dick's Sales, Stocks Drop Following Black Gun Ban

Went into the local Dick's, and asked to speak to a manager.

I said:

"It's my understading you have decided, as a result of Newtown, to no longer sell AR15's. Is that true? "Yes."

I continued:

"We all need to be responsive to a tragedy like that, but since you've chosen to demonize an inanimate object, I as a consumer have many choices of what to do with my hard earned money, and I thought it only responsible of me to let you know I won't be shopping with you any longer. I know this decision comes from corproate, but decision have consequences, and this was how I am responding to their decision. I want you to be able to pass this info along to your manager, and up the chain of command."

He said a few people have come in to express the same thouhts I had.

Bottom Line - a boycott does much less good if you keep it a secret from them. Go politely tell them they won't be getting your business.

The boycott seems to be doing some good.

"At a time where the only thing a company has to do to sell firearms, ammo and accessories is to unlock their doors, Dick’s sales have flat-lined. In fact, their sales dropped 2.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to 2011 and their shares 10 percent in the last quarter."

Dick's Sales, Stocks Drop Following Black Gun Ban

I have not purchased anything from CTD since they pulled that shit and I used to spend 5,000-10,000 a year.
Dick's does not get my business anymore either, bass pro is just 7 miles further drive!

As for the guy above who said he would have rathered them jack every AR and AK up to 10,000 just so it would be in stock please contact me, I have a few guns I will gladly sell to you for 10,000 a piece!!