• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington’s trigger is an abomination which trigger?

gopherslayer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
WI
So I finally was able to shoot my APO Saber in 6.5 CM. I am not disappointed in the accuracy department but the factory trigger is not what I’m used to from the big green R. I’ve got the screw backed out more than a few turns and it didn’t make much difference.

I don’t need a tier 1 trigger and I’m out of the loop since a few companies have popped up. I know the SH rifle uses Trigger Tech. Is there a certain model of Trigger Tech to look at? Any other companies to look at?

Last edited:
A good earlier Rem trigger may suit you, and fit the budget

Reactions: RTH1800
Trigger Tech has kind of become a standard. It’s hard to go wrong with them. Timney’s are great too. If you want to spend a little more money, check out Bix’n Andy

Remington ball busting.jpg

Reactions: Huskydriver
Trigger tech special or primary will do you perfectly. If you’re Mil/LE (or former) you can get in on their discount program. I just picked up a TT Special PVD curved the other week and love it. Don’t waste your money on the diamond and there’s no difference between the Special and Primary other than .5#. Honestly, in hindsight, I can’t justify going with the Special over the Primary lol.

As for the installation, it took all of a couple of minutes, so you can’t beat that.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I put a Timney Calvin Elite on mine It was a big improvement over the factory trigger. I don't know how it compares to others. I haven't felt a need to try anything else!

Reactions: Goostoff
The Black Friday sales are just around the corner so keep an eye on Trigger Tech for a deal on the primary or special or the diamond if you are in the ounces crowd.

Reactions: Dpp
A Timney 510 would suit your needs and keep the price down. If you wanted to spend more then the Calvin Elite is an excellent choice also.

The basic problem with the new Rem 700 trigger is that it was designed for lawyers.

Presume they don't shoot much, and they sure as hell don't know much about it.

-- Early Rem 700 trigger, should be able to find one, complete, for $50 - $60.

How does that compare with the prices of those various aftermarket triggers?

-- Early Rem 700 trigger, should be able to find one, complete, for $50 - $60.

How does that compare with the prices of those various aftermarket triggers?

It's abut half the price of the cheapest aftermarket versions but it's also hit or miss as some work well and some don't. I still have an older trigger I worked on and it's nice but not as nice as even the 510. If he really wants a better trigger then he should get away from Remington.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I’ll be staying away from Remington for sure. I should have time today to research some triggers.

So I finally was able to shoot my APO Saber in 6.5 CM. I am not disappointed in the accuracy department but the factory trigger is not what I’m used to from the big green R. I’ve got the screw backed out more than a few turns and it didn’t make much difference.

I don’t need a tier 1 trigger and I’m out of the loop since a few companies have popped up. I know the SH rifle uses Trigger Tech. Is there a certain model of Trigger Tech to look at? Any other companies to look at?

what kind of accuracy are you getting? Ammo type?

Lot's of great triggers out there. Once you figure out if you want single stage, double stage, the ability to adjust yourself and price range you can narrow it down.

what kind of accuracy are you getting? Ammo type?
Definitely sub MOA while using Federal blue box.

I took off my scope and put it back on a few times to test repeatability. It’s dead nuts repeatable using the MI mount. I loaded 2 Nosler 140 Ballistic Tips in the mag and they were same POI as the Federal and formed a slightly larger hole than caliber. It shoots. Ready for the Orange Army next weekend.

Reactions: rookie7
I've had great results with the Shilen standard trigger, have them installed in several 700"s. Same adjustment procedure as a factory (except it really does adjust), crisp 2-3# break. Good for hunting and varmint use and reasonably priced.

I am a 2 stage kind of guy. Shot DCM/mil service rifle for so long with M14s that it just works for me.
Once I shot my AI with its trigger, I found 2 stage works for me on bolt guns also.
Replaced my 40x triggers with Geissele Super 700 and haven't looked back. Out-frickin-standing trigger. Have them set with identical pull weights as my AI.

Jewel
Triggertech
Bix n Andy
Timney

To each their own pretty much. I prefer the first two.

I have a single stage Calvin Elite I’m saving for a Bighorn build 223.

I will take the advice in this thread and wait for a BF sale on a Triggertech.

I also have the Saber 700 in 6.5cm. I bought it for my daughter(12) and I to deer hunt with. She likes a chassis, and we sit together.
Here is a little testing I just did with the rifle.
54 total rounds down the barrel. These groups are shot with the Xmark pro trigger. I thought I would be able to live with it, but negative.

1AC823E8-7797-41C2-B426-13106FF74EEB.jpeg

Reactions: DMP
I have Timneys on all my rifles and they break like glass. I’ve never tried a TriggerTech but I understand that they don’t feel the same do to the design and they can be set lighter than most Timneys. So please research a bit online or at the range if that option is open to you. If all you want is a replacement for the stock trigger then Timney is the most cost effective one from my perspective.

Reactions: DMP
I won't buy a trigger from a company that also makes ice cream.

Budget trigger for me is a 510 and ultimate triggers are B n A. I wouldn’t spend any amount of money to put a older factory trigger on my rifles

Reactions: Tac Beard
The TT Diamond is amazing and worth the premium. The Primary and Special are great values and probably the best for the money. Nothing wrong with Timney either, but I like the TTs better.

You can completely unscrew and remove the adjustment screw from the factory x-mark triggers without any problems.
That might lighten the pull a bit more for you to shoot until you find a replacement trigger.

Timney 510 or older Remington 40x triggers are the best bang for the buck.

I have multiple trigger tech triggers. I have not tried anything else, but, I love them so much that I don't think I ever will.

We like Timney and have run them on all our bolt guns for the past decade. The new Hunter Elite and HIT models are really nice. Try all the brands if you are going to SHOT Show.

Attachments

• 20191009_200103.jpg
    20191009_200103.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190912_143357.jpg
    20190912_143357.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 19
I shot my Saber again yesterday. Yep, can’t live with the factory trigger. Triggertech triggers are 20% off for Black Friday.

Aside from the trigger I am very pleased with the rifle. I was a little concerned with what I may have gotten due to past reports on Remington. However, my rifle is a hammer.

5 shots, low left is sighter and then I adjusted the scope. 130 Berger hunting VLD. 100 yards.

0875B0EE-A327-4195-AEA8-9E54D801FF34.jpeg