• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 308 build (a few question(s))

Alexander Cain

Certifiable
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
South Carolina
First off, I have read several dozen of these threads and no one really gives a solid comparison on the available detachable magazine options.
I've built several AR type rifles, and they are simple to me, this is my first bolt gun build and I am "unsure" of a few things.
That being said, my goal is as follows:
Current Rifle: Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 Win
(Horrible stock on it!!!)

Parts to change:
M24 Style Stock with adjustable cheek and LOP
H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Tactical Remington 700 Stocks - Adjustable LOP and or Cheek PST 006 007 011 013 024

SWFA SS 3-15x42 TRS: (replace my cheap vortex)
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

Detachable magazine metal... Here is where my question comes in...
I want to use AICS type magazines which leaves names like CDI, PTG, etc...
I keep reading mixed reviews about "oh this wont fit with X stock, or X has to be fixed"
What metal do I need, and best options for an installer willing to fit it to the stock.

The M24 stock I shot on my buddy's rifle was VERY comfortable to me (6ft 4) but the cheek weld was a bit low hence the adjustable. But he still has internal box. At this point, I think my build is laid out other than figuring out the bottom metal. Several sites state certain stocks flat out can't accept these bottom metals and its rather confusing.

Very much appreciate any input,
Alexander

That's a lot of money for a HS Precision stock. They're better than a B&C but McMillan and Manners still has them beat. Another thing to keep in mind is that in addition to the bottom metal you'll need to have it properly inletted. When you add all that up you can get a manners mini chassis for less money. Stockys and bullets.com both carry them, I'd check them out.

I'm currently working with a Remington 700 Varmint that I've had for 25 years. My first big change was to a Manners stockt (T-6). It has an adjustable cheek which is great because I am using the same Ultra scope I've had for 25 years. The stock has the Mini-chassis which works great, I dropped it in and torqued it down and I'm getting .5MOA. Next up is a new barrel, on order. When all installed I will be looking for another scope. The adjustable cheek will be helpful because the new scope may require new rings. Life on a budget.

If you order a stock of stockystocks then you can have it pre inletted before you get it. Since your going with the Remington 700 you should just get the M5 they sell on that site. Its the m5 bottom metal and comes with a AICS mag i believe and or excepts them.

If you order a stock of stockystocks then you can have it pre inletted before you get it. Since your going with the Remington 700 you should just get the M5 they sell on that site. Its the m5 bottom metal and comes with a AICS mag i believe and or excepts them.

I had considered that option, but it looks like a good portion of a stock has to be drilled to fit the system. That was the main one saying how many stocks don't fit it and some can be inlet-ed but some can't.

I'm currently working with a Remington 700 Varmint that I've had for 25 years. My first big change was to a Manners stockt (T-6). It has an adjustable cheek which is great because I am using the same Ultra scope I've had for 25 years. The stock has the Mini-chassis which works great, I dropped it in and torqued it down and I'm getting .5MOA. Next up is a new barrel, on order. When all installed I will be looking for another scope. The adjustable cheek will be helpful because the new scope may require new rings. Life on a budget.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Some times I wonder why I didn't just build an AR10 or scope my M1A. Then I look at prices. And what a pita scoping an M1A is (for what it is capable of at least).

That's a lot of money for a HS Precision stock. They're better than a B&C but McMillan and Manners still has them beat. Another thing to keep in mind is that in addition to the bottom metal you'll need to have it properly inletted. When you add all that up you can get a manners mini chassis for less money. Stockys and bullets.com both carry them, I'd check them out.

I actually had not even come across the Manners BDM until you just mentioned it. I'll be looking into theirs, but from what i'd seen on stockys and personal use the M24 style is a goal. Hopefully they have something similar. a one stop solution would be excellent.

Looking at the following two:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-606/Manners-T4-Badger-Aluminum/Detail
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-588/Manners-T4-Badger-Aluminum/Detail

~$1,000 range, but after looking a it, i'd probably end up spending that just to get the M24 stock fitted right.

Last edited:
Found some photos of the M24 Stock with AICs magazines. Can't find the owner though. If anyone knows who did the work i'd love to know.