• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40 XB

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
I recently told a story on myself of having two Winchester 52's in my safe for 7 years without ever sending a round downrange with either. Well, full truth be known...I also have a Remington 40 XB that I've had for 6 years that I have also never fired. I was happy with shooting the 52's, so I decided to get my 40XB ready for action also.

I have a B&L 36X scope which was not being used and bought the mounting hardware.

I don't have any range report yet, but here is the rifle...

iHCxtwG.jpg

AMErts5.jpg

jfJrO5T.jpg

In all seriousness, are these gunshow finds? Pawnshop finds? Expecting my first born in 2 weeks so I need to start her collection.

Reactions: Calfed
I ask because I used to shoot trap with a guy who got a Perazzi single at a pawnshop for $600. Guy behind the counter told him, "You don't want that POS it doesn't even have a safety." Always hoping to find a deal like that.
It sure would be nice but I think the interweb and google put an end to good finds like that. I buy coins from a local pawn shop and they check the value of everything before selling. I rarely buy used guns without shooting them so I don’t have any first hand knowledge but I’m sure they check the value of their guns before selling them too.

Calfed, I hope your 40XB shoots as well as mine. I found it on a local classified forum, a guy was selling his fathers guns after his passing. He had actually sold the gun he had posted but told me he had another so I made a one hour drive to check it out, It's US marked with a non matching s/n bolt, I got it for $1500 with a Unertl 24X scope. It was in a oil finished Marksman stock that is somewhat beat up. I did find another Marksman stock with a lot of fiddleback to refinish. I left some of the blemishes and the number painted on the end of the fore end. The rifle is not perfect so the stock doesn't have to be. I removed the Unertl and put it on my 52E, but I did buy a Remington 24XBR for the 40XB. I'm awaiting information on scope bases from Outback gun parts.

All the pawn shops in my area have stupid prices on their firearms. Guns like 52's 37's and 40X's are usually sold on online auction sites, smae with local gun shops.

Calfed, I hope your 40XB shoots as well as mine. I found it on a local classified forum, a guy was selling his fathers guns after his passing. He had actually sold the gun he had posted but told me he had another so I made a one hour drive to check it out, It's US marked with a non matching s/n bolt, I got it for $1500 with a Unertl 24X scope. It was in a oil finished Marksman stock that is somewhat beat up. I did find another Marksman stock with a lot of fiddleback to refinish. I left some of the blemishes and the number painted on the end of the fore end. The rifle is not perfect so the stock doesn't have to be. I removed the Unertl and put it on my 52E, but I did buy a Remington 24XBR for the 40XB. I'm awaiting information on scope bases from Outback gun parts.

All the pawn shops in my area have stupid prices on their firearms. Guns like 52's 37's and 40X's are usually sold on online auction sites, smae with local gun shops.
That sounds like a good deal, Dart.

I got mine for $649 without sights, although it did have the sight base for the Redfields. I pulled the bolt today and it is EP'd with the matching serial number.

I got it at one of those 300 gun online auctions...only one available :) . The Unertl scope you got with yours is probably worth nearly what you paid for your whole set up.

Wish I'd been on board when the CMP was selling them for $475

I got it at one of those 300 gun online auctions...only one available :) . The Unertl scope you got with yours is probably worth nearly what you paid for your whole set up.

Wish I'd been on board when the CMP was selling them for $475

For once this dumb ole country spent his money wisely. :LOL:

Finally took my 40X to the range. I've been shooting my Winchester 52's in a small bore match. After the match I tried some Eley Tennex @ 100 yards with the 40X...

aqTTEzl.jpg

Looks like you have a shooter. (y)

Here's mine with the Remington scope mounted.

View attachment 7514974
Thanks!

Love that Remington scope. I've been on the look out for one of those, but they are quite rare.

Do you know anything about the screws in the forend? Is there a procedure for tightening them to tune the barrel? Or do most people just leave them loose?

Last edited:
Reactions: obx22
Thanks!

Love that Remington scope. I've been on the look out for one of those, but they are quite rare.

Do you know anything about the screws in the forend? Is there a procedure for tightening them to tune the barrel? Or do most people just leave them loose?

I don't know the correct method but this is what I do. With the screws backed off I run each screw in individual until a dollar bill has a slight drag, then run both in five clicks and shoot, then add five more to each and shoot. If it gets better I'll add more clicks, if it shoots worse I'll take a couple clicks away. When I find the sweet spot, say seven clicks, after I finish shooting I'll back both screws out ten clicks. It's easy to remember to run the screws in ten clicks before I shoot. Of course shoot the rifle with the screws backed out for a baseline, it may like no pressure best. That's why you have to shoot them.

"Bigbird", who sold me the replacement stock for my 40X years ago, posted on another forum recently. I was so embarrassed that I had never put the 40X in that nice stock that he sold me, I promptly switched it out.

dZKBvg9.jpg

Eqdc2ut.jpg

Last edited:
I've continued to shoot in the weekly .22 match at my range. One week it is 100 yards, the next 50 yards. I use both my Remington 40X and my Winchester 52D for the 100 yard match.

Lately most of the other shooters have shown up at the match sporting barrel tuners (mostly Ezell's), so, of course I had to get one just to keep up :) I also added a Timney Hit 75 trigger. The tuner and trigger maybe helping. Yesterday I shot the 100y match with my Remington 40X.

XzK4HJ0.jpg

The wind was variable, maybe 5-10 mph from the right, shearing from almost a direct crosswind to almost a direct tailwind. I missed a couple of wind guesses. 10 shot group was 1.59", with a .775" 8 shot group.
ioTyIZU.jpg

Still shooting the 40X in the 100 y match with the Eley 10X red box. usually get a decent target and a mediocre one. 10 round groups.

First string

PXobw1G.jpg

Second

XwOrtyV.jpg
Love a 40X. Have owned several over the years. More than capable of shooting with any modern day factory built gun if the barrel was maintained properly. But that's a big IF! I wouldn't be happy at all with those groups. A 40X is capable of shooting a lot better than that! Your gun either doesn't like that lot of 10X or the barrel has damage. Most of the time these old guns will have crown damage or the chamber throat will be burned. Both due to improper cleaning over many years.

For once this dumb ole country spent his money wisely. :LOL:
Thanks!

Calfed the way I was instructed to tune those stock screws is with a meter set for continuity. Back both screws out with rifle sitting as it would on bags (due to stock flex) , now with one lead making contact with the action, and the other in contact with your screwdriver, turn in the screw till it shorts the meter (easiest if there is a tone setting) , back it off say 5 clicks from contact, then repeat with the other side.
Now just turn in to contact and I personally would use the Hopewell method of barrel tuning (google it), and apply it to your support screws.
Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Bed the action, float the barrel and remove those screws or at least make sure they will never touch the barrel!

Still shooting that 40-X at 100y fairly regularly, although I missed quite a few matches around Christmas.

Most recent...1/24/23. It was pretty cold and I think that affected the elevation of the strikes.

First String Dropped the very first round into the 7 ring (!!!)
pvLvrYk.jpg

Second string
g1pd7FE.jpg

Match director has been changing targets because the scores are bunching up.

Target scale...
gxDbxAm.jpg