• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40x rifles

holy cow

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 22, 2010
    South East Ohio
    I am looking into maybe purchasing a used 40x varmint rifle that is a repeater and has a blued receiver in 220 swift. So what goes into these custom shop 40x rifles. Do they use custom barrels and hand picked receivers, pillar bed these and so on. I know these rifles new are quite exspensive. The stock appears to be a McMillan with the black pebble grain finish that they use and has a cheek piece. I know their is alot of Remington owners here on the hide and who have or have had these rifles, so i am all ears for any info you want to shoot my way. Thanks....DAN

Re: Remington 40x rifles

I have owned MANY 40x's and 700's and haven't found a big (if any) difference in quality. The 40x actions are not trued but are built in a different shop than the 700's and are "supposedly made to higher standards than the 700's. They are both still the exact same action and IMO, the 40x isn't worth spending that much more $$$ on. A trued 700 IMO is every bit as good. 40X bbls are made in house. they don't purchase aftermarket custom bbls like Hart, Krieker, Lija etc.. If you are going to spend that kind of $$$ on a 40x, I think you are better building a custom rifle on a 700.

Just my opinion

I have a 40-XB Tactical in 308. I like it now that I put a Jewell trigger in it. It generally shoots .4 to .8 MOA, but like crisj said about getting a custom build, that is what I will do next time.
    myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned MANY 40x's and 700's and haven't found a big (if any) difference in quality. The 40x actions are not trued but are built in a different shop than the 700's and are "supposedly made to higher standards than the 700's. They are both still the exact same action and IMO, the 40x isn't worth spending that much more $$$ on. A trued 700 IMO is every bit as good. 40X bbls are made in house. they don't purchase aftermarket custom bbls like Hart, Krieker, Lija etc.. If you are going to spend that kind of $$$ on a 40x, I think you are better building a custom rifle on a 700.

Just my opinion </div></div>

A big +1 to this

I own many 40X and 700 rifles. I do not pay much more for one than the other. In the old days, the 40 was likely better than the out of the box 700, but the 700's have likely caught up now. I like the 40 X, but some of my 700 VSSF rifles are not matched in accuracy by any 40X or even custom. One of the "advantages" of the 40 was a stiffer receiver in the SS models, but that is lost on the repeaters. On the old ones, I do think the triggers are better finished/ground as they hold adjustment better. JMO
    RTH

You can build a custom on a 700 that is a lot better rifle than an out of the box 40X. 40Xs have no truing at all and they still have a crappy Remington barrel.

Hmmm... I couldn't DIS-agree with most of the posts here more. Obviously, everyone will have a different experience but my 40X 7.62 NATO Repeater is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I've regularly knocked holes in nickels at 300yds with it. The trigger is very adjustable. The barrel is nice and heavy and the action is very smooth.

One thing I have noticed after posting and reading here on the Hide for a little while is how finnicky some of the rifles I read about are. How, if you don't torque the action screws just right it will affect accuracy, if you don't make your rounds to fit your rifle specifically it will affect accuracy (That one's largely true but not always necessary)... and other things that make many "Precision Rifles" in my estimation, more trouble than they should be. (I guess Hence the name "Precision"). I haven't had ANY of these issues with my 40X. The thing is a ROCK. I've knocked it around more than I should as well as changing the stock (and NOT doing it the "right" way... or properly torquing the action screws) and it keeps shooting Great! Maybe I just got lucky...

I will say seeing the rifle you're looking at is a 220 Swift makes me nervous. 220 Swift is known for burning throats out. Check it carefully.

I have to agree with everyone on this one. I have two 40X rifles. A 40XC and a single shot 30/338 Mag and as well I have 700s. I don't even shoot the mag. Guess I should trade it or sell it.
    Talking money here I would just buy a 700 and send it to Bryant Precision and have him true it and rebarrel it while he has it.
    I would look at 40X in 22-250 or 243 before I got a 220 Swift.