• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 597

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
I was at the sportsmens warehouse. And seen a fullsize big barrelld 22. So I looked at it. And it felt great. The trigger felt kinda stiff. But other than that it felt solid. And it was only 175. What do y'all think about the new remington 597?

Re: remington 597

We sell a lot of those but looking at them the stock isnt the greatest and the aftermarket mags are crap. I myself have never shot one, but in talking to people that have owned them have got mixed reviews mostly bad. Say they jam/ not that accurate, For a 170.00 gun I think I would spend a little more and get the Ruger. They offer a lot more accesories and have a proven record. I have 2 1 of them is 25yrs old and both eat any ammo I feed them. Not trying to turn this into a Ruger thread but a 30.00 savings isnt worth the headaches or frustration

I have a 597 ONLY because i got it for free. ITs my UTV gun and stays on the Polaris Ranger at all times. Its fairly hardy, has to be to be a UTV gun, but its not that accurate and I sure wouldnt buy it vs say a Ruger 10-22. Mags are ok, after market mags are also ok, but does jam/ftf every now and then. But usually, with el cheapo wallyworld Federal, shoots just fine. For its cost...to me, free....and what I use it for, its ok, but I still wouldnt buy one off the shelf if the Ruger was within $50-100 off it. The 597 is an el cheapo made gun compared to the ruger.

John

I had one. Key word being had. Not that impressed, lots of plastic in the guts...

i got one in jan and man do i love it. no jams like people say. hitting dimes at 50 yards with fed champion ammo (maybe nothing to you guys but thats good for me.) fits me way better then the 10-22 nice full sized stock. i would buy another one. if i got a ruger it would be 77-22. if you want a good semi auto get the 597 i like it way better then the 10-22. guess im the odd ball here.

Well I have read a lot of reviews on it. And decided to get it over the ruger. Got some winchester 333 ammo. I'll. Let you know how it goes.

I HAVE A REMINGTON 597 IN 22 WIN MAG, ITS NOT ALOT TO BRAG ABOUT HOWEVER IT HASNT HAD MANY ISSUES. I HAVENT HAD ALOT OF TIME BEHIND THE TRIGGER WITH IT, APPROX 100 ROUNDS DOWN THE TUBE OF THE RIFLE. I DID A MUZZLE BRAKE ON IT FOR THE HECK OF IT, OREDERED A VOLARTSEN HAMMER AND BARREL FOR IT, I STARTED FORMING THE STOCK LIKE AN A-4 AND AM GOING TO COPY THE GUY WHO MADE THE DETACHABLE MAG WITH THE M14 MAG. ANYWAYS THERE A GOOD RIFLE I HAVE FOUND, FOR THE INEXPENSIVE PRICE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o1sick7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have read a lot of reviews on it. And decided to get it over the ruger. Got some winchester 333 ammo. I'll. Let you know how it goes.

</div></div>

I have never used this ammo but federal and CCI seem to be the best for me.

I don't know about the new remington 597 but I had two in the about 10 years ago and they both sucked. Failure to feed's, failures to EXTRACT, double feeds, failures to eject, all kind of problems. I bought the first one, had the problems, returned it for a replacement and had the same problems. I tried all kinds of ammo thinking it was just not liking what I was putting in her but consistent problems no matter what. Traded it back in at the shop and never went back to try another. If you go for it I hope you have better luck than I did.