• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R 20" vs 24" barrel pros and cons?

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
Ok looking for pros and cons of the 2 lenghts offered ... 20" threaded vs 24 none ... What do i loose and gain with either?

can anyone tell me why the 20" threaded is steped down a few inches from the muzzle where the .308 isnt?

I failed to mention im looking into the .223 not the 308

Re: Remington 5R 20" vs 24" barrel pros and cons?

Just cut mine down to 20. Accuracy is as good if not better. Lost 60 fps, with a can. I'm happy.

I wouldn't want the velocity loss, when custom barrels at the same length well exceed my factory 5R's 24" barrel. But if your looking for a threaded rifle ready to go then by all means. Just for my plans i plan on replacing my 5R barrel with a bartlein.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anyone tell me why the 20" threaded is steped down a few inches from the muzzle where the .308 isnt? </div></div>

If you're talking about the factory threaded 5R, it's not stepped down before the threads, it's the same contour as a 24", just cut and threaded at 20. It comes down to what's more important to you, every little bit of velocity or a more maneuverable rifle, especially with a can on the end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anyone tell me why the 20" threaded is steped down a few inches from the muzzle where the .308 isnt? </div></div>

If you're talking about the factory threaded 5R, it's not stepped down before the threads, it's the same contour as a 24", just cut and threaded at 20. It comes down to what's more important to you, every little bit of velocity or a more maneuverable rifle, especially with a can on the end. </div></div>

In the 5R lineup, the 20" .223 does have a stepped muzzle. The 20" 308 and both 24" models are not stepped. I think the OP is asking about the 20" 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can anyone tell me why the 20" threaded is steped down a few inches from the muzzle where the .308 isnt? </div></div>

If you're talking about the factory threaded 5R, it's not stepped down before the threads, it's the same contour as a 24", just cut and threaded at 20. It comes down to what's more important to you, every little bit of velocity or a more maneuverable rifle, especially with a can on the end. </div></div>

In the 5R lineup, the 20" .223 does have a stepped muzzle. The 20" 308 and both 24" models are not stepped. I think the OP is asking about the 20" 223. </div></div>

That's correct. The 20" .223 is stepped down while the 20" .308 is not:

5R-20-Thread.jpg

5R-20-Rifle.jpg

Yes i was refering to the .223 barrell that have the step down.... I Just got off the phone with remington ... From what i was told all 5Rs come with a 24" barrell ... So if this is true where the hell are these comeing from ... And whose cutting and threading them ... The finish looks factory to me? Or is it another case of no one has a clue on the products they make ... I only ask because if they are being cut else where i might aswell build a gun ... Because the warranty is being void.

Anyone have a new rem 5R .223 action forsale? Unless you keep it bone stock and only add bolt ons it would seem you warranty will be void. Bartlein barrell

Goal ... 5R action with 5R rifling .223 with Webber iron sights .... Im new to this custom stuff whats a good aftermarket action company already looking into

The original post wasn't clear, and I didn't know they were doing threaded 223s. It appears they have turned down the end of the barrel to fit a brake that goes back over the barrel, like some of the Surefire brakes do.
I wouldn't be surprised if the person you spoke to didn't know the details of the new models, the threaded 308 I had said 'threaded muzzle' on the Remington label, so it was produced that way. Warranty should be good.
pix108124401.jpg

I've owned both versions. The 20" kicked a bit more, but was more accurate by a hair. Both are great guns. The stock is sweet, but the palm swell was a bit much for my medium hands. I know own a GAP Custom. Nuff said.
smile.gif

the 20 inch barrel is a little lighter and since its shorter its easier to move with or shoot from an awkward position

i like a short barrel on smaller calibers becasue the fast burning powder on the lighter grain bullets is usually expended before the bullet reaches the muzzle so you gain no muzzle velocity, no stability, and the recoil on a .223 is minimal so the heavier barrel does you little service. unless you have the chance to hold each rifle and you like the balance or looks of the longer barrel id say go short

Thanks for all the feedback guys .. im still on the hunt for a .223 ... I think a 20" non threaded would be perfect but they don't seem to exist yet stock so i made a few calls in put in a few requests ... If anyone has a new one they're not shooting collecting dust and wants to unload it please PM me.

The 20" will be lighter, more maneuverable and perhaps even a tad more accurate. the one downside will be a small loss in velocity (approx 16-20 fps/inch).

If you don't like the threaded 20" you can always get the 24" and have it cut down and re-crowned.

What is the twist on the 223?

And SSSamuraii, what is the model number? Its cut off in the picture.

Unless your hot for the 5r rifling why not just get a standard sps tactical in 223?

It's 20" and non-threaded

1/9 on the 223

i cut my 5r from 24 to 20.. it's by far a more accurate rifle than i am a shooter... the 3 rifles i own are all 20" w/ the exception of a winchester model 70 ss 300wsm @ 24".. the 5r was cut down, and the rem ltr came w/ a 20, and i have a tikka scout ctr 223.. w/ my 5r i shot a 10 shot group that you could completely cover w/ a beer bottle cap.

I went a little different with my .223 5R. I put on a JP Cooley muzzlebrake that is about 2.5 inches long. It would have been a little long for my bag due to the already long 24" so my smith cut an inch off when he threaded it during the install. Worked out great because the brake's countour is very close to the barrel already, just a hair bigger, the inch lost meant slightly wider barrel end due to the gradual taper.

I didn't realize a shorter barrel would be more accurate as well. Overall i shortened the barrel to 23" (still about 24" with the brake due to the overlap of threads). I did not notice much velocity loss or accuracy gained as it was mostly a convenience and cosmetic decision.

Altho...I did hit a golf ball from 300 yards out last weekend. Haven't done that before
smile.gif