• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R .223

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
Any general thoughts on the .223 5R is the mil-spec worth the extra coin .. I know allot of guys are going to say go with a 308 that is a future plan right now i have access to a 200 yard range and the .223 ammo will cost me less ... NO I have no intention of reloading myself at this time.

Barrell lenghts ... is there only one lenght in the .223 I've been seeing allot of 20" threaded and wasn't sure if there where others too choose from. I beleive the threads would be useless as suppressors/silencers aren't permitted in my state, is there any other practical use for them.

This may sound odd but has anyone ever put a front sight on the thread cap? I'm tempted to mount a target aperture and really test my skills until i can get a scope.

Re: Remington 5R .223

I really dont believe the benefits of 5r are worth the additional cost.

You have to remember, you're dealing with a remington cut tube, so you run a risk of the lands/grooves looking like absolute dog shit.

If i was really deadset on a remington action, in 223, id buy a 223 stripped action, put a custom tube on it, and then pickup a HS stock. I'm more than willing to bet the cost would be close to the bloated MSRP cost, and you'd have a better quality tube...

I bought mine at the same time my brother bought his SPS tactical. They both shoot very well, neither would be a bad choice, I hate the stock on both of them equally, the 5r action feels nicer to both of us.

Dont mind if they look like dog shit as long as it doesnt shoot like it ... I was looking for out of the box performace but a custom build for close to the same price offering better acuracy may be an option, i have all winter to do it. 5r action over other rems ...

Anyone selling a brand new 5R action to start me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really dont believe the benefits of 5r are worth the additional cost.

You have to remember, you're dealing with a remington cut tube, so you run a risk of the lands/grooves looking like absolute dog shit.

If i was really deadset on a remington action, in 223, id buy a 223 stripped action, put a custom tube on it, and then pickup a HS stock. I'm more than willing to bet the cost would be close to the bloated MSRP cost, and you'd have a better quality tube... </div></div>

Dumbfuck,

Remington tubes are not cut rifled(none). Their S/S spouts are uniformly of smoother interior finish than their CM offerings.

I know,I know...you've got/shot none of them and are talking out your ass.

I'd go the rebarreling route with a used gun that already has a good stock. May cost you a couple hundred more up front, but will save you money when you switch the factory barrel on you're new gun because it shoots like shit and fouls so bad you spend more time cleaning than shooting. I learned that lesson the hard way. Besides, without checking the Rem site, I think most of their .223 barrels are 1 in 12 twist, and if you ever get the chance to shoot a bit farther, that won't stabilize the 75s and 77s that you will want.

Please cite any/all 700 "hard foulers" in 223. Loved the 1-12" notion too!

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Dumbfuck,

Remington tubes are not cut rifled(none). Their S/S spouts are uniformly of smoother interior finish than their CM offerings.

I know,I know...you've got/shot none of them and are talking out your ass. </div></div>

Hey you know what, my bad.

I assumed the barrels were cm, not SS. I cant speak for the SS, but the couple cm ones i've seen in a borescope were pretty terrible. Chatter marks from tooling, occasional gouges in the lands, rounded edges, land-width distortions. The crazy part was, they still shot reasonably well.

Also, i didnt intend "cut" to be meant as cut rifled. I used "cut" to denote the rifling process was done in house by them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweetheart,

You were the only one guessing.</div></div>

Stupid fuck!

The 5R .223 is 1:9 the 308 1:11.25 Stainless

I was under the impression the they where all 24" ... but I've been seeing allot of 20" threaded

Any insight optimal length for 1:9 twist keeping it as short as possible without loosing anything.

I believe the 5R is worth the extra cost over the other Remington offerings. I am happy with mine accuracy wise and smoothness of the action. I've had the tactical Target Remington which cost more and that barrel got very hot very fast, plus that action was very sticky. I returned it to Remington and bought the 5R. Only gripe about the 5R is, I hate the grip on the stock seems too short, my pinky finger wraps around the bottom of it and I have small hands.

I handled one in .308 at Hyatt Gun Shop last weekend. It was a 20" if I'm not mistaken. I talked to the clerk & he said it was the most accurate production rifle in the store. He also said that he was a sniper in Vietnam. He pulled a small target out of his wallet that he shot with the 5R. He said he shot it 50 times at 100 yards & you could cover the holes with a nickel. The action on that baby was silky smooth! I just wanted to stand there & caress the cold steel! hahaha! The HS Precision stock was really comfortable too. Very nice rifle!

the 5R in a 223 is a 24 inch barel and has a 1:9 twist.I know I own one and it just plan out shoots what I have loaded for it.but cannot say to weather it will shoot factory ammo.have not bought any since 1998.

to even add more to this about the 5R's.they all come with the same stock but two are small action one large.and the 300wm comes with a 26 inch barrel and a 1:10 twist.the only thing that has changed over the years since Remington put these out is the trigger.but that can be a quick fix if you choose to.

now that I think about it they may have mad some with a 20 inch barrel but think its the 308.not really sure.since I have bought mine I haven't been in touch with the sales or specs.just love the way it shoots.

The Milspec 5R's are the 24 in ones and have the hammer forged 5r barrels, all these new ones that have 20 in barrels are not milspec 5r's, really just M700's with 5R barrels. I don't know if that means the shorter ones are hammer forged, or not. I only know the 24 in Milspec ones are. All these new " with 5R rifeling" M700's comming out are confusing the 5R milspec rifles. The are supposed to be a limited production typpe with very specific features. hammer forged barrel is one of them, along with the semi unique HS stock.

I would go with the 24 in Milspec. Mine will stabilize the 77 Sierra, despite claims that a 1/9 will not. Factory AA 77 AMU loads are about @3200fps, and MK262 is about 3100 fps. Both stable, and accurate.

I have the oportunity to buy a 5R in 223 since I already own a 5R in 308. Is the 223 worth the expense. I can get it local here for about $1050.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobius38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the oportunity to buy a 5R in 223 since I already own a 5R in 308. Is the 223 worth the expense. I can get it local here for about $1050. </div></div>

If I were going to buy/build a .223 I would get a reciever on the cheap and get a nice barrel with a 1/7 twist. Shoot the 75's to 90's.