• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R 24" Load Data

eyekahn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
Ok, so I've been reloading for about 6 years. Just got back into bolt guns and picked up a 5R in a Grayboe stock.

Just did a little shooting today out to 400yd. Only had some left over loads from my old gas gun and a box of 175 FGMM.

Rifle grouped consistently 3/4 moa at 100. Shot steel past that. I am looking for a proven load in this rifle that is a 1k Load. Hoping to stretch it out soon. I see a lot of threads about this with a lot of back and forth on which load can actually stay accurate at that distance.

Is a 155 the better choice to shoot consistently at 1k? Or should I go 175? Anyone have a 5R load the new ELD-M hornady?

My rifle seemed to like the 168 Amax with 44gr Varget. Shot a little factory 175 FGMM to get a baseline, that grouped well. The 175 TMK with 42gr 4064 wasn't too impressive, luckily they are the most expensive, I see the Amax is going away so looking for people with these rifles to help me streamline my Load development. I get each rifle is different but just looking for some advice.

I've still got a lot of 4064 but I'm out of projectiles so any advice on which would go well with 4064, Lapua or FGMM brass, and 210m primers would really be apppreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo the 155 Scenar and the Sierra 2155 are better than the 175. Nearly the same BC, more velocity. Shoot much flatter to 1k

45 gr of Varget pushing a 175 SMK and Winchester brass is a winning combo. Another good one is 43.4 gr of IMR 4064 pushing a 175 SMK. 2.800" COAL. Basically, any of the 308 loads that Dan Newberry has recommended have worked awesome in my 308 24" 700 5R.

Try looking in the "Reloading Depot" section of the forum. They have a .308 thread with information.

Yes, check the "depot" but give consideration to the Nosler 175 RDF, 178 ELD or the Berger 185 juggernaut, all with better capability than the SMK at 1k. I shoot the 175 RDF out to 1k to the tune of 20-30 rds a week, stupid easy with that bullet over Varget.

Ive had good luck with Berger 185 Juggs and the 175smk. Using both RL15 and Varget.

My Rem 700 5r tactical (fluted barrel, threaded, with Timney 510 in a KRG Whiskey 3 stock)
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​