• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R in 300 win mag with 24" or 26" barrel

elkaholic3428

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Williston, ND
Does anyone have the 5R in 300 win mag with a 24" or 26" rifle and have either pictures of your groups or a list of your groups you got it to shoot? And also what bullet and gr you shot out of it? I have read a bunch on how well the 308 5R with 24" barrel shoot but haven't found a lot of feedback/talk on the 300 win mag. Thanks for the info!

Re: Remington 5R in 300 win mag with 24" or 26" barrel

get the 26" for the 300wmag

In addition to the op's request, I would like to see what velocities folks are getting with either length barrel.

Phearkno1 has one in 24" that shoots the 208 Amax amazingly! At 800+yds the 208 comes in with authority! The 24 gives up some velocity, but allows you to add a muzzle break and still be around the same length as a stock 26" barrel. When pushing the heavies a break may be preferred for long range sessions.

Either should be accurate, the 24" may be a bit easier to maneuver. Also, I believe the 24" 300wm were the earlier models. Not sure of the hype, but supposedly the earlier ones had more TLC during manufacturing.

Yeah I have shot Phearkno1's 300 many times. I bought my 308 5r right after he got his from the same dealer. His gun is very accurate.

They didn't try to pressure you into a 243 rockchucker?? Seems like they always have 2 or 3 behind the counter. Good guys to deal with.

You still running the elite?

I just found out they are no longer going to be making the 5R in 26". Only 24" with threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkaholic3428</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just found out they are no longer going to be making the 5R in 26". Only 24" with threads. </div></div>

Keep your eyes peeled on gun broker. I bought a 26" that was NIB for less than 1000 delivered. It had never been taken out of the box until my FFL got it.

I can't report on accuracy as it was dropped off at my gunsmith 3 weeks ago for a bunch of work.

10308.jpg

This was the first six shots out of my 5R. Shot one round to see if I was on paper. Adjusted, and then shot the 5 round group. I don't make a habit of measuring my 100 yard groups, I just make sure they are no greater than an inch outside to outside.

[img:left]
10310.jpg
[/img]

She was facing just about straight on, I caught her on the left side and the bullet came out by her rear haunch. This was with Hornady 208 hpbt, I have since switched to the AMAX.

10311.jpg
[/img]

As promised in my PM, here she is as she sits now with the cerakote and USO scope.

10312.jpg
[/img]

Shooting at around 500, testing different powder charges as well as the difference between factory crimp and no factory crimp on the 208 AMAX.

I've found the rifle to be as accurate as I need. It holds under MOA at 100 with every handloaded conconcotion I've tried. Once I started doing node and ladder testing at 500, I was able to find some differences, though and eventually got the vertical dispersion to around 1/2 moa at 500 and 900. I had no idea how to do that until I read the sticky's in the reloading section here.

I would recommend an upgraded stock and trigger. Also, fyi, the 16x super sniper performed well for me. It tracked good, always held its zero, and the glass was good enough for me to shoot that doe 20 minutes after sunset (which is legal in NE). I'm in love with the USO / horus scope on there now, but to be honest, I don't think it's $2,000 better than the super sniper.

I got the super sniper from swfa, and kept it as a spare after getting the USO from the classifieds here on the hide.

Yes, i have one of the Remington 5r rifles chambered in 300 win mag with the 24 inch barrel. i have only shotfactory rounds through it at this writing, but everything i have run through it from 150 grain federal , hornady and remington have shot sub moa groups, then i shot the 180 grain hornady superformance, and it came to life, the groups went to half moa, and clover leaf patterns, till it began to heat up, then in 5 shot groups it would start to string the bullets , so, i have since sent to 300 below to have the barrel cryo treated, then had it glass bedded, and i had a trigger job done on the x-mark pro trigger, but was not really happy with it, it is not consistent on the pull weight, so, i have a Timney 510 on the way, it should be here next week and when the wind is right i will resume testing. my son has the exact same rifle with the exact same things done to it, but he has an muzzle brake/can adapter on the front of it, we will cronograph to see if there is a difference in the speeds of the two rifles, and see if there is any signifcant difference in accuracy between the two. For your info, i red on line where remington tested these rifles in the 300 win mag, and according to them and the test, they didnt loose any muzzle velocity , till the barrel got shorter than 22 inches. yes i know you usually loose around 50 fet per second per inch, but this was their test , not mine. bot for the moment i can say the rifle is very accurate. hope you enjoy yours.