• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remington 5r riflescope advice

DCH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
I am looking for help choosing a new rifle scope for my remington 5r 308.I would like to use it for target shooting and hunting up to deer size game in north Alabama and perhaps other places. I would also like to use it to increase my 17 year old son's shooting skills. He is hoping to be a U S Navy Seal. I am considering the higher quality scopes (Schmidt and Bender Zeiss and the higher end Leupolds)since my eyesight is no longer what you would call good And perhaps just for the pride of ownership? Where I live we have moderately wide open spaces 100-700 yds and I would be hunting from a blind ( a heavy scope is not a disadvantage ).any advice would be appreciated.

I've owned & shot a 5R for three years. It wears a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 with the Z1000 reticle. Zeiss glass (to my eyes) is crystal clear and I have shot out to 975 yds. Once you tune your loads to the reticle, dinging steel targets at 300, 600 yards, out to 975 yards using the Z1000 reticle holdovers becomes nearly routine.