• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 5R rifling engraved on barrel

elkaholic3428

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Williston, ND
I have had my Remington 5R for almost a year now and I love it, but I have noticed the more of these rifles I see I notice they have "5R rifling" engraved on the barrel after the caliber engraving and I looked and mine does not. Do just the .308 5R's have this engraving and my .300 WM doesn't? Or is this a new detail they are putting on the barrels? Thanks for any inf!

Re: Remington 5R rifling engraved on barrel

my .308 5R doesn't have "5R rifling" engraved on it anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my .308 5R doesn't have "5R rifling" engraved on it anywhere.</div></div>

My 308 5R was purchased new in 2010 and it doesn't say 5R on it either.

I just looked at another 5R .308 24" threaded today that had "5R Rifling" on it. I have seen it on some and then on others like mine it doesn't have it so I was just curious if that meant mine was different or something was wrong with it.

I believe it depends on the model.

My 5R Mil Spec does not say 5R anywhere.

Actually if u look on gunbroker.com they have pictures of some of the .308s with it and I found a .300 WM without it like mine.

I have the 24" and the 20" now. Like I said the 20" has it engraved on the barrel, and the 24's only have it on the box. Dunno why? But that's just what Rem does. I have talked to a cpl people from Rem, one being a good friend, because I had heard that the 5r's were a "blem" M24/M40 barrel, but he said they make a certain amount of the 5r barrels, and the started out by putting some of the 24" brrls on a ss action, and seeing if it would improve accuracy. In fact it was a BIG hit, and now they have the 5R in 308 (20,&24") 300WSM (26 &24")and 223. If you wanna look at the whole line up, including deployment packages "not MIL." Look here.
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/c-836-700ss-r5-mil-spec.aspx

If you call Scott Powers will usually answer, and he's the owner, and will take good care of you.

Also if your debating which brrl length to get read this SWAT article about Tac Ops rifles
http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swatdec2000/index.html

I wouldn't worry about the engraving. Look down the barrel does it have 5 sets of lands and grooves? Then your golden. The eching of 5R for the most part is to sell more rifles
wink.gif

My M24 does not have 5R engraved on it either...