• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R , SPS , Savage ?

ANGST

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2007
VA, USA
The final "need" missing from the gun safe is a precision rifle.

I have regular access to a 1000 yard range , most of my shooting 90% will be done within 600 yards or so I think .

I think the caliber I am going with will be .308 , just for the sheer amount of data out there and availability of components and ammo.

For bullet weight I will probably use some 168gr , but focus on 175gr just to reach out to the occasional 1000 yard mark.

Now the rifle optic combo , of course I do not have unlimited fundage so what I am thinking of doing it going with a Remington 700 5R , Badger 20MOA base , and a used "economy" scope either a Vortex , SWFA SS , or Nikon , something in the 200-350ish range . Glass will be upgraded at a later date if I really start getting into this.

OR

Less likely,
Just go with a decent combo I plan on not upgrading , Remington SPS tactical with a Leupold $800-$900 scope or some sort. I am worried about the 20" barrel at 1000 though.

I have also been getting alot of suggestions to buy a Savage 10

Comments ?

Re: Remington 5R , SPS , Savage ?

If you are worried about a 20" barrel at 1000 yards you have not done a lot of research here.

Handle the rifles you are looking at. I think you will immediately see a quality difference in them. If not, then just buy whatever is cheaper.

I have had no problems getting to 1K with my old 20" LTR. Like LW said. Check out the different rifles and see which one fits you best.

savage. but besides that, try clicking on my name and viewing my posts. if there was a savage thread, i probably posted in it and there are alot of which rifle threads i have posted in. its easier than searching and trying to narrow down the threads.

this was my first bolt action and centerfire/highpower rifle. ive done all of the work except sending out my action for a spin on the lathe to true everything. barrel swap and bedding are pretty easy once you take the leap. there are alot of little things that you can do also to improve the action

plus look in the used rifle area, there are usually a few good deals in there. and if you want to build from scratch, there is a guy for that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glass before gun. Everytime </div></div>

+1,000,000

Yeah, I went with a $600 Savage 10PC and $900 Mk4 scope. No regrets so far!

If you want an out of the box "precision" rifle, go with a Savage man. My model 10 in .308 would hit 1000 VERY consistently. You'll only spend a few hundred bucks on the gun and you can focus more on your optics like everybody else said. I was/am on a budget, but if you don't get at least some decent glass, forget about hitting at 600 let alone 1000.