• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 5R

Re: Remington 5R

I don't have one, but that will change by Thursday. I'm ordering mine soon as I get out of work. To say I'm excited is a major understatement. I've been trying to find one new since last year. From what I've read its a soild 1/2 inch with factory ammo. With handloads it all depends who behind the gun. I've heard of a active Navy seal putting 5 shots through a single hole on a different website. I was torn between a couple different rifles but soon as I found out that this guy is getting a shipment in a couple days I knew what I was getting.

It will most likely shoot better then you can drive it until you get some time behind it. 1/2 MOA is extremely common for them if not better in some. I love mine.

They are very accurate for factory rifles. The effort you put into finding proper loads that it likes will be the variable.

With FGGM 168 and 175 I'm shooting 1/2-moa typically, but occasionally I shoot a hole in a hole, etc at 100-yards, but there's alway a flyer or two outside that hole. I'm sure it's me, and not the rifle. Older M118 with the 173-gr FMJ, and Israeli M852 are pretty close to the FGGM 175 and 168 loads respectively, but the older M118 is just a tad bit weaker. With prvi, I can usually shoot sub-moa.

I picked one up in 308 a couple months ago. Groups are outstanding. Sunday I tried the FGM 168gr for the first time along with the 168 Hornady TAP. The worst groups were 0.442 @ 100 yards. At 200 the average group was 0.9". Not bad for a stock 5R. A few weeks ago I stretched out to 500 yards with groups around 3" with the 175gr FGM. This purchase was the best decision I've made in a long time!

Paul

well for me all three shoot really well.the 223.308,and 300wm I mean.for the most part was the cost of the rifel for me.$1000 for a rifel that will shoot.5" groups out of the box is great.seen a few custom 308s that would not do that.but when one can reload for the 5R it really starts to shoot.the common load for the 5R is a 168gn 0r 175gn SMK with 44gn or 45gn of Varget at 2.800 c.o.a.l.

the biggest thing about the 5R is the twist 1:11 1/4.it pushes the 168 and 175gn bullets really well.if my memory hasn't left me it was the right amount of twist for the two or one of the two bullets.just cannot remember which one.but for the most part the guys who own a 5R can shoot anything from a 155gn bullet to a 208gn bullet.so bullet choice is just something the owner will have to choose.

so owning a 5R is something one can afford to do if you like me cannot just afford to have a custom rifel built right now.all one has to do is put a great set of eyes on top with a good M.O.A. set up and just go shoot.and heck with all of the reloading thats already been done for the 5R's its just a choice of bullet,powder,primers,and brass you need to pick.the loads are all ready there for picking.haven't seen one yet not shoot what another is shooting.and thats with no tweeking of the load.but for the most part of it you can even get a few thousand rounds out of them without loseing accuracy to bad.

so the question is this.why not get a 5R for the price to a custom built rifel when you cannot afford a custom.and with the 24" barrel you will always get more FPS than the 20" barrels.and again all three chamberings will shoot.cannot say anything for factory ammo.all three of mine have only seen hand loads.just don't like the new ex-mark triggers.wish they would have left the first ex-mark trigger alone.simple to adjust and broke like glass.but the newest one kind of sucks.may be adjustable to the guys who cannot adjust a trigger but just suck to me.the little screw gets in the way when adjusted to a light setting.feels funny to the trigger fingure to me.will soon replace the ones on my 223,and 300wm.so here goes my opinion of the 5R Milspec by Remington.take it all with a grain of salt.its just that one asked about the rifel so I gave my opinion.

Won my first F-Class match (FT/R) with my 5R. Hadn't been shot 50 times yet at that point.
Quantico032.jpg

Guns1108.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m. Dalton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups should I expect from this rifle ...Out of the box? </div></div>

Here is a full review over at Sniper Central. (I hope I am not stepping on toes posting that here.)

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

It will shoot better then you can drive it for the time being. I have one in 308 and before I did, I shot a 243 for long distance stuff. Needless to say I sot the new 5r great and then with my tuned hand loads could not put a group together that was under an inch. I found that I was bracing for the recoil and hunching my shoulders forward. Once I relaxed and treated her like a lady, she started doing things I never would expect a factory remington rifle to do. Mine is a solid .5 gun.....yes it has done better.

My loads 175SMK 2.800 43.5 varget 210M primers

168 a max 2.800 42.8 varget 210m