• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 5R

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
Not a real fan of the stainless on my new 5R and trying to find a fix for that. I do like the stock, however, I would not be appoosed to coloring it to match the barreled action. Anyone have any pictures of one they have had cerakoted or anything else. Just hate to get it done and not like what I end up with.

Re: Remington 5R

Gilly, Im in the same boat as you.....Love the gun, but not a fan of the stainless....I've been trying to find pics of someone else work.

don't want to do anything and end up not liking it.

KYLON is the fix for now, and having coated is the fix for later.

Put seriorly if you take your time with KYLON you can get a good finish on it. Take the action out of the stock remove the trigger and place it in the oven on around 200 for a little while and core the paint should hold up better than air dryed.

Thats a nice looking rifle. I don't know that I am brave enough to hit a $1000 rifle with Krylon myself. I guess if I f'd it up it comes off fairly easy? I like the OD Green on the metal though. How do you apply the gun coat? I looked into having a couple places doing a camo cerakote but I hate to send my rifle off for 4-6 weeks and $400. I can reload a lot of rounds for that money.

The krylon comes off very easy I put a coat of OD Krylon fusion (camo paint) on the barreled action of mine and its holding up fairly well and cost me $4.00

I used this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95810

But from now on I will use this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46719

For what some people are paying for 1 coating job I bought all the tools, coatings and accessories to do several weapons and still have $$$ left over...
There is a lot of prep time involved so I can see where some of the coaters are not making much profit charging what they do. Spend some time reading and you will not have any problems. You can learn all you want watching the Brownells videos.

I looked on Brownells site and could not find cerakote or gunkote for some reason maybe I am looking in wrong place.

Can I oven bake a barrel and action? I was looking at more along the line of the cerakote air dry after doing some research. I was not sure about oven baking it. That and I dont think my oven is even big enough for it to fit in.