• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 .223 disappointment!!

So am I supposed to tear down a motor in a new truck before I buy it to make sure it has the correct small block in it? That’s going by the logic above of course.

If the SKUs match it’s on the mfg to get their shit right. If the SKUs don’t match then I guess suck it up and move on.

Jesus...is there anyone who can post original content here???

Whatever you want to do IS your choice. Make up your mind....either you do or you don't. When you don't discover a problem that is VERY easily found cause you are lazy it's ALL ON YOU.

IF you want a small block and DON'T pop the hood to verify IT IS YOUR FAULT. NOT the door sticker that was printed wrong.

ONCE AGAIN: If you are going to be an metro-OCD-princess about hand loads and those details....ONLY to whine about the barrel twist rate.....YOU should have checked the twist rate. THAT'S YOUR fault....not the website.

CHRIST sake .......a $600 rifle and the WORLD stops spinning cause of the twist rate. Only here that's for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
:eek: Maybe you ought to check the barrel on that shotgun that can’t hit a barn at 20 yards again? You know, to confirm it was truly a perfect 12 ga. :eek: One can’t be too careful with what they are buying these days... just agreeing with ya! Good luck to ya!

Reactions: HeavyAssault
:eek: Maybe you ought to check the barrel on that shotgun that can’t hit a barn at 20 yards again? You know, to confirm it was truly a perfect 12 ga. :eek: One can’t be too careful with what they are buying these days... just agreeing with ya! Good luck to ya!

That's my point. Either you learn to check it, or deal with your decision not to check it.

Remember if the shell fits it must work.....right?

Attachments

• IMG_20181220_113627027.jpg
    IMG_20181220_113627027.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20181220_113610563.jpg
    IMG_20181220_113610563.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 144
But which small block? The 4.8 or the 5.3? Sort of like the twist, 12 or 9. On the outside they look pretty similar but not on the inside. I may be taking this a bit far but it’s on the same train of thought, correct?

Just for the record I have checked twist rate in the shop before buying a rifle. I wanted to make sure it was a 9. It was a used 223 Savage SS Fluted. It was a 9 so I bought it.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Using the pics I posted above: Is it my fault for buying it based on the target tag alone??? Depends....did I want a 6.5CM or a .308?? I wanted a .308...It's MY problem, not A-Aron for filling out the tag wrong.

If I walked away due to the wrong target tag info alone cause I wanted a 6.5CM.....it's not a problem. I still have my money....maybe I passed up a great rifle at a great price but there's always more to buy. I can buy another 6.5CM.....problem solved.

But which small block? The 4.8 or the 5.3?

If those details are THAT important to you ........You better know what you are buying. Same as I have always said about the hand load details...and not checking the barrel twist.

So am I supposed to tear down a motor in a new truck before I buy it to make sure it has the correct small block in it? That’s going by the logic above of course.

If the SKUs match it’s on the mfg to get their shit right. If the SKUs don’t match then I guess suck it up and move on.

Don't forget to pull the diff cover to make sure it's the right ratio.

If Remington changed the twist rate somewhere in production they should have created a different sku. Period.

WOW.....We never thought of that. No one ever makes mistakes now do they???

Should have, could have, didn't have........

Maybe the production guys didn't read the instructions....made a 20" 1/12 twist barrel...called it a Friday special....Sent it down the line...LMAO

Maybe it was a special run that was to be used only for internal testing. Never intended for resale....but made way onto the retail shipping pallets.

At the end it's going to take what....12 weeks...to get the rifle back...even then you will not know a real answer.

At the RMA Section:
Bob: Hey Joe....we got a new RMA for a barrel twist rate.
Joe: Just swap it out for the 1/9 he wants...call it good.
Bob: How did that happen?
Joe: Do we really care?
Bob: Yea...it's Friday....Send it.

Letter you will receive: Hey we swapped out the barrel. Thank you for being a great customer! Enjoy!

Don't forget to pull the diff cover to make sure it's the right ratio.

If you can't understand how to check the gear ratio without pulling the cover you need to stop playing with guns. You are going to shoot your eye out kid.

• Haha
Reactions: Krazy_jim
If you can't understand how to check the gear ratio without pulling the cover you need to stop playing with guns. You are going to shoot your eye out kid.

If checking twist rate with a rod and patch is so erroneous surely checking driveshaft vs wheel revs is verboten as well, no? We have to be ABSOLUTELY sure!!

If you agree the barrel should be switched out for the twist rate the op was expecting to get, the rate the manufacturers specs on the sku said it should be then what the hell are you even arguing about? Put the crack pipe down man.

If checking the twist rate is SO F-N simple when you are developing hand load recipes WHY THE F would you NOT have checked the twist rate on a barrel that WAS NOT stamped??? We have to be sure absolutely sure!!!!!

No agreement with the OP at all. Just good customer service IF that's what they do. You will never know.....neither will anyone else here for that matter WHY they swapped it.

If it comes back "Check found Okay".....WTF???right????

I have heard/seen MULTIPLE accounts of special production end items for specific wholesalers. Specific twist rates, bolt knobs, painted stocks....whatever the wholesaler wanted....Remington made it. GOD knows it's impossible someone to make a mistake OR ship the wrong item.

I really can't believe how many sheeple here BLINDLY follow along with "listed specs on web sites". It's pretty simple.....If you are going to be OCD about your hand loads....You need to check your gear....ALL your gear.

I really can't believe how many sheeple here BLINDLY follow along with "listed specs on web sites". It's pretty simple.....If you are going to be OCD about your hand loads....You need to check your gear....ALL your gear.
For your sake I'm sorry I posted the question. It seems like this has gone farther then I intended. Everybody following this knows how you feel 20x over. I was looking for a descent discussion and what do I get, but a one sided conversation of somebody that may or may not know much about shooting or reloading arguing with himself.

For everybody else that has experienced any problem like this and would like a update I decided I didn't want the 12 week down time due to some competitions coming up so I tried some 40 and 50 gr handloads out of it and it shot good, Under 1/2 moa. I will shoot this barrel out with training and exchange the barrel in the near future witch was my plan eventually anyways.

I was looking for a descent discussion and what do I get, but a one sided conversation of somebody that may or may not know much about shooting or reloading arguing with himself.

It descended alright, right to the gutter

so I tried some 40 and 50 gr handloads out of it and it shot good, Under 1/2 moa. I will shoot this barrel out with training and exchange the barrel in the near future witch was my plan eventually anyways.

Good plan

For everybody else that has experienced any problem like this and would like a update I decided I didn't want the 12 week down time due to some competitions coming up so I tried some 40 and 50 gr handloads out of it and it shot good, Under 1/2 moa. I will shoot this barrel out with training and exchange the barrel in the near future witch was my plan eventually anyways.

I'm still interested to know what twist rate (if any) was engraved on the barrel.

...And which 50 grainers? The 53 Nosler Varmageddons have a wicked BC but noslers on the whole don't seem to shoot well for me.

I'm still interested to know what twist rate (if any) was engraved on the barrel.

...And which 50 grainers? The 53 Nosler Varmageddons have a wicked BC but noslers on the whole don't seem to shoot well for me.
There is not any twist rate engraved on the barrel. Both the 40 and 50 gr bullets I tried were noslers due to me having some that I need to get rid of. When I run out of those I wanna switch to the 53 gr vmax for a higher bc.

There is not any twist rate engraved on the barrel. Both the 40 and 50 gr bullets I tried were noslers due to me having some that I need to get rid of. When I run out of those I wanna switch to the 53 gr vmax for a higher bc.
Thank you for posting your experience with this it always helps, there's always ***holes that come out of the woodwork and piss on everything f#$k em.

For all those that are interested I'm going to tell you how this all ended up. I sent it back to remington and they confirmed it had the wrong barrel configuration in it and changed it out. So kudos to remington for a quick turnaround.

Attachments

• IMG_20190920_105018.jpg
    IMG_20190920_105018.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 79
All this over 350.00 Howa And 400.00 Remington rifles.
I bought a 350.00 Howa once....
They told me Federal Gold Medal March ammo was my problem.
Glad Remington corrected your problem. It happens.

am i the only one who thinks heavyassaut is really just garandman in disguise now that he's banned?
garand got banned? I thought we were just lucky and he just went somewhere else to lick his wounds.

edit: I see he is gracing accurate shooter with his presence now. When you get rid of a fguffey... grandman is there to fill in his shoes LOL

edit edit: and centuriator too! All in the same thread too. I bet the the old benchresters (who I like) are loving our overflow hahahahaha

Last edited:
This news of him being banned saddens me. His posts brought joy to my day... esp on Monday's.

Guess I'll go back to picking on the guy that vapes in our office.

Savage's are known for being out of the box accurate. I'm not sure exactly how they compare to the Remington, but I have several friends with entry level savages (.22, .223, and .308) and they are all very satisfied.

Reactions: Idaho Pioneer
Evedently some of you forgot when Remington sent out a big batch of 300blk guns with a 1/10 twist.

It was not some ass hat internet mistake it was a real manufacturing mistake you ass hat.

Heavy ass hat, what a usless troll .

am i the only one who thinks heavyassaut is really just garandman in disguise now that he's banned?

I read this thread and concluded either the guy was off his meds or he was taking a scorched earth approach to hitting 100 posts so he could participate in the PX.

Does anybody use 1/12 twist 223 on purpose?
What would that be good for?
Varmints at long range with light bullets?

Does anybody use 1/12 twist 223 on purpose?
What would that be good for?
Varmints at long range with light bullets?
I had a 25” 12tw. short chambered at SAC. Likes my 52SMK load and Black Hills 50gr. blue/white box. Latter is super fun on a dog town.

So my take from this is long barrel and light bullets work well with the 1/12tw.

Guess I should have paid attention to varmint rifles a bit more.

Thanks

Edit] the varmits I have available are from 30-300lbs and a shot right in the ear hole will work with 55gr.

So my take from this is long barrel and light bullets work well with the 1/12tw.

Guess I should have paid attention to varmint rifles a bit more.

Thanks

Edit] the varmits I have available are from 30-300lbs and a shot right in the ear hole will work with 55gr.

Yeah, look no further than the venerable .22-250 with a 1:12 or 1:14 twist. I know multiple people that have shot plenty of deer with the .22-250. While some people still think they need a .300WM to shoot a 150 lbs deer, many more are seeing the benefit of not beating the crap out of themselves.

For all those that are interested I'm going to tell you how this all ended up. I sent it back to remington and they confirmed it had the wrong barrel configuration in it and changed it out. So kudos to remington for a quick turnaround.

Great to hear that Remington is going to make it right. My 700 SPS Tac .223 shoot pretty good. Don't discount them with handloads.

A bunch of groups from my rifle from different days.
EBEjk7g.jpg

Reactions: Snuby642

The 53 Nosler has a higher B.C than the 53 V-Max. I have a 250 box of the Nosler waiting for my 53 v-max supply to run out.