• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 .243

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a rifle from a friend he wants to sell. He has never shot the rifle. He has owned it for ten years. It is a Remington 700 1967 varmint barreled .243. It does not appear to be shot much. I want to buy the rifle or sell it for him. What twist rate is it? What factory ammo will group best? I know it is a barrel burning round. What should I do to check the barrel is not burnt out?

Re: Remington 700 .243

Don't know about the older version of the stock 243, but the newer 243 has 1:9 1/8 twist rate. It's capable of stabilizing up to the 105 grains, if you drive it hard enough. It should not have any problem with anything less than 100 grains. Only way to know which factory ammo will group best is to go out and try various brands and grains.

Does anybody know any decent factory ammo to start trying?

I've had good luck with Hornady 95 SST's.They've shot well in an Icon with a 10 twist, 3 Savages with 9 1/4, One Ruger #1 (no ideal what twist just had him try them because what he was shooting wasn't working out)and fire forming in an 8 twist AI I'm in the process of building now...They had shot so well in my Icon breaking it in I went back and bought all they had as the shop was closing out...I reload for all my rifles, but had to get them because he was only charging me 10 bucks a box which was near half price....

+1 on Hornady 95sst superformcane. May want to try there 75 bthp round in it. Done ok in my Win 70 10 twist .243.