• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 338 Lapua barreled action

Friday

The Hay King
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2018
Northern Nevada
Has anyone bought one of these barreled actions? If so how did it shoot? I’m thinking it would be a cheap way to get into a 338 Lapua burn the barrel up and put a different barrel on later.

I purchased one back about a year ago. Barrel shoots good with a load I made up. Factory Muzzle brake is pretty useless so I put on a MBM 5 port beast brake. Currently setup on a XLR chassis. Have yet to stretch the legs on it to 1k.

I think if you are looking at cheap way to get into 338 Lapua, you might want to look at the 7mm and 30 cal mag chambering.

The 700 action is marginal for the 338 Lapua.

A teammate of mine had a 700P(I think) in 338 and it shot like shit until he bedded it to the stock and put on a muzzle brake. The brake was to control his flinching and in turn compounded mine ?

I'm not a fan of .338 Lapua bolt face cartridges in a 1.350" actions. The M700 is lowest on that totem pole, under the stronger custom actions.

I don't think there's any way to get into 338LM CHEAP! Ask me how I know. Other than that, there's better options than the Rem action.

I guess what I'm getting at is, the OP's term used was "cheap". UNLESS you reload, and even then, 338LM isn't cheap to begin with. So I wouldn't start out with a minimal action/bbl just to "burn out the bbl", replace it with a good one, and still have a "cheap" minimal action.